Need help double checking a couple of spaceframe measurements.

I'm currently drawing up a set of blueprints for my own scratchbuilt chassis. I'm doing this without having a body to measure on so it's a little tricky :)

To my help I have had the plans posted by René in his buildthread: http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/32106-riviera-scratchbuilt-gt40.html

And the plans posted by Chris Melia in this thread: http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tec...40-space-frame-drawings-plans.html#post221206

(I don't know where I got it, but I have a .dwg of the later plans aswell)

I've used René's plans as a starting point since they are in metric measurement but when I'm crosschecking some of the dimensions a couple of questions arise...

*For instance. The threshold under wich the tanks are situated are in René's plans 280mm from outside to inside the "cockpit". The plans posted by Chris are 292mm.

*The cockpit width is in René's plans 1070mm, and in the other plans 1168mm. And I've found a post here that states it should be 38.5" or 970mm.

*The overall chassis width is in René's plans 1630mm, but in the plans posted by Chris as much as 1727mm!

I would deeply appreciate if I could get some help here :) These are both scratchplans so if someone has a Tornado, RCR, CAV, Southern or any other chassies the he or she could take a quick measurement on it would really help me sorting this out :)

Hi

Measurements on my scratch build are

Overall width...........1630 mm

Cockpit width.........895 mm....35.25 "

My cockpit width is less than most cars , because the tunnell only has the handbrake in it. My tunnell is only 30 mm wide

The overall width of the cockpit depends, on how you run the coolant pipes handbrake and gearchange

On the original chassis, if you take a centre line through the chassis, the tunnell only goes into the driver side by about 12mm 1/2". The tunnell has to be offset, so the centre of the drivers seat is inline with the centre of the steering wheel

By doing it like this, the passenger side is 2.5" to 3" less than the drivers side. ie the width of the tunnell. This means the drivers side is 2.5" to 3" wider, and this allows you to run the handbrake on the right hand side of the driver

I hope this helps. If you use Renes plans Im sure you will be ok

As Rene said, it would have been a lot easyer if he had a body to start with. I did my first chassis without a body, and had to make modifications, to make the body fit

GTS Tunning can supply a body for a sensible price, if you are serious about doing a scratch build, then I would recomend you get a body. It will make the whole projet much easyer, and save a lot of time and frustration....

If I can help in anyway, just ask

Good luck with your scratch buld

mick

Hi
Sorry typing mistake, in this paragraph. i meant gearchange on right hand side of driver....not handbrake, (this usaully goes in the tunnell)

.....By doing it like this, the passenger side is 2.5" to 3" less than the drivers side. ie the width of the tunnell. This means the drivers side is 2.5" to 3" wider, and this allows you to run the ...."handbrake"...( this should say "GEARCHANGE")... on the right hand side of the driver

Sorry for the confusion

mick

Thanks Mick! That clears a few things up :)

Yeah a body would sure be nice to have! Unfortunatly I don't have the money today... Otherwise It is very likely I had already ordered one... I'm working on it thou :)

I know GTS have a set of plans for sale too (for not an unreasonable amount), even if you want to go your own way on the design it would be worth getting a set as you'd then have all the dimensions you want. Alternatively I'd contact Tornado, GTS, SouthernGT etc, ask how much just a bodywork set is and ask them for the dimensions to fit their bodywork. I have no idea how close each of them are to one another so I'd pick the one you're going to go with to use the dimensions from.

I know GTS have a set of plans for sale too (for not an unreasonable amount), even if you want to go your own way on the design it would be worth getting a set as you'd then have all the dimensions you want. Alternatively I'd contact Tornado, GTS, SouthernGT etc, ask how much just a bodywork set is and ask them for the dimensions to fit their bodywork. I have no idea how close each of them are to one another so I'd pick the one you're going to go with to use the dimensions from.

The plan I have at the moment is that IF I get started on the chassies before I get a hold of a body I'm only going to weld up the ground structure to make it a rolling chassies! If I leave out the rollbar/rear bulkhead, the structure to mount the dash and bottom of the windsheild and the front and rear clip mounting structure + the threshold I could have a driveable car that is capable of taking more or less any body :)

but when the overall width and seating area differed that much I felt I had to check that I was on the right path, wich it seems lika I am :)

Back