WIDE BODIED SEVEN....McCOPY MK6

Well lockdown combined with retirement can only mean one thing....time to build another project.
This time it`s an other fun build with very little fibre glass body work, had enough of the scratchies. I managed to buy a rolling chassis Mazda MX5 a little while ago and spent a couple of days stripping out any thing of use. So the basis is full MX5 suspension and a tube frame chassis with said stuff installed. I elected to not use the rear sub frame as I wanted it to look more of a fabricated special. Because I already had an MX5 subframe in the back of the Formula Junior, I was able to draw out the relative dimensions and design the rear of the car in principle. I also cut the adjustable suspension points off the front sub frame and installed them on the new chassis. I have elected to build this chassis with 2mm x 25mm sq box as weight is not an issue.....as it`s going to be V8 powered. I would love it to be old school if i could find a 3.5 ltr Rover and adapt a modern 5 speed gear box as I did in the previous car I built for my late Carol. Trouble is that they are as rare as hens teeth and very expensive to recondition. Next choice is Lexus 4ltr quad cam auto or another manual conversion.
I started 3 days ago and set out the bottom rail layout, front width was governed by the rail space to get the correct lower wishbone spacing. As in the Formula Junior, I remade the lower arms to stock interchangeable dimensions as the origional`s look rubbish. With the help of many tricks, I set up from my plans, the rear chassis/diff carrier and set up the suspension to stock position. It also looks like I may be able to run the standard MX5 rear shock as it fits inside the sub frame...we shall see.
Lock down here does present some parts supply challenges but we seem to be bale to work around them. Health wise were all good.
My new motor home has not turned a wheel in 10 weeks so am looking forward to some relief even if we can not travel out of our Province.
So if you have any Rover 3.5`s sitting around...drop me a line.

Attachments

• DSCN7571.JPG
    DSCN7571.JPG
    861.9 KB · Views: 231
  • DSCN7568.JPG
    DSCN7568.JPG
    843.3 KB · Views: 232
  • DSCN7570.JPG
    DSCN7570.JPG
    846.3 KB · Views: 226
  • DSCN7567.JPG
    DSCN7567.JPG
    843.9 KB · Views: 248
  • DSCN7560.JPG
    DSCN7560.JPG
    333.8 KB · Views: 231
  • DSCN7572.JPG
    DSCN7572.JPG
    934.8 KB · Views: 233
Well a little more progress, had a bit of a rush around just prior to the last lock down gathering Mig / Tig wire, Argon and Arcal 21 gases. Got all i needed so progress unimpeded. The standard rear shocks fit. The fronts will be inboard QA1`s on bell cranks and the standard power steering rack all fits in place via the same dimensions as stock. Stripping it out now to turn over and catch up on all those other welds. Great weather it`s of for a drive tomorrow in the real MX5.
Cheers
DSCN7601.JPG
DSCN7600.JPG
DSCN7599.JPG
DSCN7598.JPG

Well not much to report other than we have survived another year....and it`s been with some challenges. All positive I am happy to say, have met a new partner in crime and we will celebrate 12months this January by travelling around the Sth Island and flying over to Stewart Is for 5 days with her family. I purchased brand new 7.5 mtr Jayco motor home in May last so this is the first time away for a significant period...should be a great time if we can keep out of covid`s clutches. The cat even gets a minder so we are all good to go. The wide bodied `Lotus` is parked until next year as I have a trailer build for a close friend which will be completed before we leave. The world is a different place now so we just have to get on with and enjoy what we have.
So
Merry Christmas to one and all.
Cheers
Russell

Best self Christmas present ever, been looking at hoists for months now and did not have enough head space 2.8 mtrs to install a normal height hoist. Found this one that easily fits in under 2.4mtrs, lifts clear 1.5 mtrs and nothing on the floor means the Formula Junior on the trailer sits on top and the Mclaren rolls in underneath. It was a bit tight having to work around the door mechanisms and the roll bar,( 25mm clearance to the roof ) and the door clears the carbs by 40mm. Cheapest garage ever at $2700, delivered and self installed. Being hydrolic, you can even unbolt the uprights and store them away to clear the space.
DSCN7619.JPG
DSCN7620.JPG

Well getting ready to throw some final colour on the job, just checking that all bits are accounted for. Made the fuel tank up over the last few days, bit of a `shape` due to accessibility. Managed to score an MX5 5 speed gearbox so the drive train direction is now committed. Was chasing a 2ltr 5 speed Sierra motor and gearbox but some bugger wanted it $2600.00 more than me! The floor is all bonded and riveted, just got to do a battery box mount in the engine bay and then do some fibreglass body panels. W
DSCN8334.JPG
DSCN8334.JPG
DSCN8333.JPG
DSCN8336.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN8335.JPG
    DSCN8335.JPG
    903 KB · Views: 104

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi
I am in the process of clearing out my workshop and downsizing, just took 350kg of scrap steel offcuts from under my workbench to the scrappy. Every piece a gem! Boy do we accumulate a lot of crap.
All good otherwise.
Regards
Russell
I went through the same thing a couple years ago as we prepared to move our residence over a thousand miles south..
I gave away thousands of dollars worth of engines/parts transmissions etc….

Hi
I am in the process of clearing out my workshop and downsizing, just took 350kg of scrap steel offcuts from under my workbench to the scrappy. Every piece a gem! Boy do we accumulate a lot of crap.
All good otherwise.
Regards
Russell
feeling less guilty now , knowing I'm not alone doing those (terrible) things of cleaning out/up

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Hi
All good otherwise.
Regards
Russell

And one week later you need that little flat iron piece you put just recently in your left over bin..... but wait "#%!&@*#%!$" ........:mad:

Howard Jones

Supporter
Never throw away ANYTHING!!!

Memorize this so you can say it by reflex in your sleep.

"That? THAT? Honney.........................I NEEEEEEED that............. it's still good!"

Back