Need help with Wiper Knob Removal

I have an SPF GT40 and I’m replacing the dim bulbs in all the instruments with LED’s. I hoping to not have to remove the dash but so far it’s been very difficult to get at the back of the instruments. Getting the dashes center switches out of the way would help so I started to remove the switches from the plastic surround. Everything was going great until I got to the Wiper switch. Unlike the Fan switch which had a set screw holding the knob on I’m so far unable to figure out how to remove the Wiper switch knob. I assuming it pulls off but I don’t want to break it. I’ve pulled pretty hard and so far nothing. If someone else has done this please let me know how it comes off. I tried backing off the nut but that just managed to thread the lower part of the knob shank.

20210626_171112.jpg

20210626_171057.jpg

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Richard,
An old trick of mine is to cut a 3/16" notch into the tip of an old thin coffee spoon for use as lever.
Put a piece of stiff shim under the spoon to prevent buckling your panel, slide the spoon under and push the handle down.

Sorry Bob no pin. JimmyMac sorry I'm all out of spoons that would fit the bill but I'll keep that in mind it's a good one. I do however have lots of scrap metal. Because the knob was stuck down tight to the nut I had to start by using a trim saw to remove around .020" around the bottom of the knob stem. It was then i figured out the switches stem was 6 sided. I made a thin wedge out of a sawzall blade. That moved it a little, but it was then I realized the switch had a mode where you could pull the knob to I assume activate the mystery air valve part of the switch that's not being used on the 40. Three more tools later and it's still not off grrrrrr.

20210628_143639.jpg

20210628_140901.jpg

OK it finally came off but. It looks like they hack sawed off the end of the shaft so they could shove the knob on far enough so it went about a 1/4" inside the front of the switch to keep it from moving left and right (not in and out) to activate the a valve that's not being used. Maybe a valve for washer fluid? There was no way to start prying up on the knob until I cut the knobs shaft in two at the outside nut level. I think they then glued the knob onto the switch shaft. I hope some of this makes sense and it helps the next guy. Now how the hell am I going to put it back together?

20210628_171337-001.jpg

20210628_171553-001.jpg

20210628_171843-001.jpg
20210628_175857-001.jpg

Maybe I'm missing something, but if your goal was replacing the instrument bulbs and you already got the SPF center panel off why do you need to remove the switches from the panel?

Sorry I guess I forgot that part. I'm also modifying the panel its shelf and it can't have any switches installed.

Back