Need Some Help Understanding How A Cable Shifter Works

With a 5-speed ZF, how many cables are used? And how does the thing work?

Thanks
Bill

I hope you can understand, Bill.
If not advise.
Wanni

Attachments

• Immag030.jpg
    Immag030.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,133
  • Immag031.jpg
    Immag031.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 997
  • Immag032.jpg
    Immag032.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 934

Scott McDill

Supporter
Hi Bill
Two cables. The shift input shaft needs to be turned by one cable, and extended retracted by the other cable. Using the kit supplied by Fran, A spool shaped device is attached to the shaft. The outside of the spool has extensions allowing for attachment of the cable for rotation. The other cable attaches to a 90 degree bell crank. A roller on the bell crank fits inside the spool for extension and retraction. I am not sure which cable connects to the fore/aft and left/right of the shifter, However we should be able to determine this by rotating the shaft and observing the result. My trany remains has not been installed yet so I will check it later today an get back to you.

Attachments

• 068_68_0001.JPG
    068_68_0001.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 1,270

Scott McDill

Supporter
This is what I found:
The pantera shaft shift mechanism atached to the side of the transaxle reverses the motion of the pantera shift shaft so the fore aft motion of the shifter causes rotation of the input shaft, rotation of the shifter ie L/R motion, results in extension/retraction of the input shaft.
So to keep things simple (sort of) I will describe what I found with the Pantera mechanism removed as required with the kit supplied by RCR.
Facing the side of the transaxle with the shift input shaft and in the normal GT-40 orientation
With the shaft rotated clockwise and extended: first gear.
Rotated clockwise pushed half way in: third gear.
Rotated clockwise all the way in: fifth gear
Rotated counter clockwise and extended out: Reverse
Rotated counter clockwise half way in second gear
Rotated counter clockwise and in is fourth gear.

Scott McDill

Supporter
He is going to send those "old tech" boxes to me for recycling That will save him the expense of having them hauled of to the junk yard. Right Wanni????

Scott and Rambo,
do not think about, pls. Those old bits have already a program for the future.
I have not written they are for sale.
Ciao
Amici.
I can see if I can find some more, if they are so rare.

Back