New and old guy from South Africa

Hi Guys
Firstly I would like to compliment the GT40S forum :thumbsup:as a whole on an absolutely amazing forum, an absolute mine of valuable engineering information. Secondly sadly, I do not own a GT40 and more than likely never will due to limited funding and age. However, I have had the honour and pleasure of driving one. As one of your forum members stated, "its the closest I will get to heaven".

I (60) work as a Civil & Structural Resident Engineer/Technologist/Project Manager by a National Company in SA. I am fortunate to have put together a very well equipped spacious workshop. Have the basics ie,metal lathe, milling machine, mig/tig inverter welders, bead roller & english wheel(last two items home built). I love and relish the whole fabrication process. I am not into racing or clutch dropping but when the road is open and no others cars are visible the envelope suddenly loses its boundaries.

I have spent countless hours/days, reading/lurking on this forum. I have also been in contact with Jean Fourie, Director of CAV in Cape Town and he will also assist me with what he has. I collect Chev Corvairs, at present I own 2x '61 4dr Sedans(both running and on road)one factory original and one highly modified engine, 3.2lt with four downdraught rochester carbs, 1x 63 Coupe(being restored), 1x 65 Coupe(factory original, running and licensed). I recently had a Chev V8 302 running motor come my way and hence the Corvair mid rear mounted idea started festering in the back of my mind. I have sourced an Audi 016 box for a very reasonable number. Jean Fourie from CAV will supply the clutch assembly, adapter plate, starter and slave cylinder at an amount I cannot really afford, but will make it work. I have a Corvair parts donor body that I will use as a mock-up station. I also have a complete running Mercedes E280, the left side of the car was ripped away by the towbar of a huge 4x4 reversing into the street as I passed by his driveway. The intension is to use the front and (partly)rear suspension units on one of the Corvair 4dr Sedans I have. Merc Front suspension will be used due to its 25 yr newer technology and power steering facility. The rear suspension will make use of the existing Merc side shaft hubs, custom designed upper lower control arms built into a cradle(as per basic GT40 layout) that will carry the engine and gearbox. I will end up with a '60 Corvair 4dr sleeper sedan with upgraded front suspension and GT40 style rear power train assembly. I have found answers to countless questions I had by just systematicaly working my way through the GT40 threads. May I be so cheeky to ask if there are autocad drawings available for the basic GT40 frame, more specifically the rear section behind the cab. I need to get the basics right pertaining to ride height/max driveshaft angles and upper/lower geometry. I will also fabricate the reinfocement plate for the Audi 016 box. I know I will not be able to post my build progress on this forum but will when the build starts provide a link to the CorvairForum I have been a member since 1999. Any advice/comments/information will be greatly appreciated. My lifelong philosophy has been that every day is another day to learn something new. I apologise if I have been longwinded and or boring with my story. But a very big thank you for sharing/making so much valuable information available to those who are interested. Have a great week:thumbsup:

Where in RSA are you based Henty? I live in Jhb. Have you spoken to John Botha? He has a lot of GT 40 build experience and CAD drawings.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40s.com Henty...

That sounds like quite a few projects you have going there.
You would certainly be welcome to share your build(s) via our Wings, Wheels & Keels forum here::
Wings, Wheels, and Keels - GT40s.com

There were a couple of fellows not far from where I grew up that had Crown Corvair conversions. One with a very heavily modified small block Chevrolet sitting in the back seat of his 1969 Corvair 2 door.

Hi Rob
I hail from the armpit of the Eastern Cape, Grahamstown. As of yet I have not been in contact with anyone, before I get into that I need to get a better idea of what I'm up against money wise. Have made contact with Jordi Reddy at CAV (thought Jean Fourie was still the owner), and he has offered me a factory reject shell:stunned:. Now I need to make him an offer???? :stunned:no clue where to start, just so many unknowns and questions:blank:. Never entertained the idea of building a GT40, so am at a bit of a loss. Been warned that if panels are warped then you got big problems?? I recall the issues I had in the '70s with a nose cone on my Mini:veryangry: damn thing came off on the freeway between Cape Town and Somerset East. One of my concerns are availability of GT40 specific parts, do we need to import like I have to with Corvairs?? at 14:1 ie front windscreen? Need to make some decisions with the direction I am going to take, will take any advice at this stage.:shrug:
Regards Henty

Hi Randy
Thanks for the welcome, I unfortunately always take on too much and doing everything myself takes its toll on the projects as a whole. In my own defence I enjoy running two or three projects at the same time. I enjoy building my own tools aswell ie, motorised beadroller, big multi-station beltsander, busy with an english wheel at the moment, media blasting cabinet stuff like that. Also do machinework for friends, so yep I have a lot going on at any one time. Made a thermostat housing for a friends MGA by melting down soda cans and casting a mould, finished it on the milling machine. Jack of all trades and master of none:laugh: Am I correct are you in Minnesota? Knew some farming folks the Heim family farmed outside Lewiston. Thank you for the link, will have a look around as I haven't found my "feet" so to say, Might add have read just about every thread relating to Audi 01E 016 gearboxes, in the transaxle section. Like I said to Rob earlier this GT40 body offer has caught me off guard:stunned: and I have a lot to think about.
Regards Henty

Sounds like you have a lot of thinking to do Henty, but between this Forum and and the rest of RSA there will be plenty of available advice.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Randy
Thanks for the welcome, I unfortunately always take on too much and doing everything myself takes its toll on the projects as a whole. In my own defence I enjoy running two or three projects at the same time. I enjoy building my own tools aswell ie, motorised beadroller, big multi-station beltsander, busy with an english wheel at the moment, media blasting cabinet stuff like that. Also do machinework for friends, so yep I have a lot going on at any one time. Made a thermostat housing for a friends MGA by melting down soda cans and casting a mould, finished it on the milling machine. Jack of all trades and master of none:laugh: Am I correct are you in Minnesota? Knew some farming folks the Heim family farmed outside Lewiston. Thank you for the link, will have a look around as I haven't found my "feet" so to say, Might add have read just about every thread relating to Audi 01E 016 gearboxes, in the transaxle section. Like I said to Rob earlier this GT40 body offer has caught me off guard:stunned: and I have a lot to think about.
Regards Henty

Hi Henty,

Yes, I live part of the year in Minnesota and am about 60 miles from Lewiston.. I do not know your friends however...

Enjoy the journeys of your builds!!

Hi Guys
Okay, a lot is happening much faster than I can keep up with, in the sense that I like to know where I am going and at the moment I have too many unanswered question. Let me take a step back and let you guys know that I have been offered an untouched GT40 body including the glass at price that I can make work:stunned:.

All of a sudden building and owning a GT40 has become a very very real possibility:surprised:.

As my project will be a "scratch build" project my first question is are there plans out there that can be bought. I have spent hours and hours reading and searching the forum. During these searches I have found invaluable information and have come to realise how much information and help there is on the forum. Unless I am blind or don't understand English I have not yet found reference to the availability of drawings. I have seen guys offering adaptor plate diagrams by pm's etc. Coming from an Engineering background I find this hard to believe or am I missing something? However, before I can go ahead and buy the body I have to be able to have a plan of action, once I have an action plan I can execute my plan. My build will be on a shoe string budget even if it takes 6yrs I'm under no illusion of what I am up against and I am a very patient being. If plans are available for purchase who do I speak to. If I need to become a contributing member of the forum then thats what what I will do. I am just concerned that I might miss this, I believe once in a lifetime opportunity at getting my "foot into the GT40 door" so to speak......big plea for help/direction/assistance.

Thank you in advance
Regards Henty

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Congratulations Henty

Perhaps you can elaborate
Are you wanting to make a "replica" normally space frame chassis clad in aluminium panels - if so you probably want to try a company in the UK called GT-forte - Darren will sell plans and off you go and buy a pile of steel, chop saw etc and start welding the Chassis together. Then fit suspension etc - sounds easy but will take a while as a part time project.

Or Are you looking for plans for the original folded metal monocoque of the originals whereby the thousands of parts are spot welded together on a jig? Fo so you are looking for the Holy Grail - yes plans are out there and people guard them.

Then there were also a number of operations in SA that made kits KCC, CAV (old one), Botha etc perhaps they may offer you a chassis or drawings

Ian

Good morning Ian

Thank you for the reply and great news.

The intention is to build a replica that will not see track or smoking tyres. I have no issue with track/racing or hard driving, but prefer to participate in those activities as a spectator.

For me its about the V8 and the building/creating process. I want a car that I can drive every day like my Corvairs. I am opting for the ms tubular frame, aluminium clad framework. I do ALL my work myself and I take my time, plan, plan, measure, measure and then build. I fortunately have the space, tools and perseverance just not lots of money but my supportive wife makes up for that. I have a standard healthy 302 engine, rebuilt Audi 016 gearbox, a complete Mercedes E280 for suspension, brake parts, air con etc. The original plan was to build a mid engined Corvair. I'm not a purist, simply because it can be very expensive. I am due to retire in 5yrs and the plan is to have the basics finished by then.

An example, I built a Corvair engine using VW bus barrels, Passat conrods, Mercedes C230 pistons a stroked crank and Isky cam, increasing the capacity from 2.4lt to 3.2lt. Engine runs very well, a bit lumpy, for town when cold but it moves, breathing through 4 Rochester carbs, has unbelievable low end torque.

I will try and contact John Botha (Rob Ryan did refer to him earlier on) then take it from there, thank you for the pointers, much appreciated:thumbsup:

Hi Guys
Thought I would show you my current toys.

Attachments

• '60 Series 500.jpg
    '60 Series 500.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 247
  • '62 3.2lt Corvair Series 700.jpg
    '62 3.2lt Corvair Series 700.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 220
  • '63 Coupe.jpg
    '63 Coupe.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 224
  • 65 Corvair Monza.jpg
    65 Corvair Monza.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 204
Hi Henty

Nice to see you here, I'm just down the road in Port Elizabeth and doing a long winded scratch build, but inspired by a Lola T70.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/lola-t70-lounge/19604-canamsa-sa-stratch-build.html

Their are no "kit" GT40 space frame cars in PE that I know of to look at, although there is one that is raced occasionally out of East London and a chap in Port Alfred is building one. I could put you in touch with the PA guy if you like.

Regards

Fred W B

Hi Fred
Thank you for the mail, I feel like a stalker, I have been watching your build for quite some time and am in awe of you work and dedication.

I chanced on your site some 2yrs ago whilst looking for one-off built fibre glass body examples. Your work is testimony of what dedication can achieve. I have been dreaming of building an Aston Martin DB1 and now I have veered off in the GT40 direction. Have always wanted a V8, the sound makes me weak in the knees. I have tried John Botha for plans, no reply yet. I would greatly appreciate the contact details of the Port Alfred guy.

For me its all about the fabrication process I try and do everything myself, am fortunate in having a well equipped workshop and quite a bit of space.

Both my daughters live and work in PE and my Mom is in Ann's Frail Care in Lorraine.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards
Henty

As my project will be a "scratch build" project my first question is are there plans out there that can be bought. I have spent hours and hours reading and searching the forum. During these searches I have found invaluable information and have come to realise how much information and help there is on the forum. Unless I am blind or don't understand English I have not yet found reference to the availability of drawings.

Hi,

Have a look at the car built by my friend René... http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/32106-riviera-scratchbuilt-gt40-2.html
If you plan to go the scratch build route, you'll find there some great infos on a awesome trackworthy scratch built car, and some ... drawings ! ;)

Don't hesitate to get in touch with René through the forum, he's always happy to help another scratch builder fellow :thumbsup:. Regarding the fab skills you described, you'll find you both have things in common !:love:

Hi there
Thank you for the link, I did come across the thread earlier during my lurking stage but never saw the PDF's somehow missed them:stunned:, great information and an awesome build thread, great source if inspiration and proof of what can be done out of an ordinary home workshop:thumbsup:.

Good day Gents
Just a short note to let you know that I have made some progress in the right direction in gathering/planning information. Status being that I have drawn up my own set of plans using the images that Rene has posted as a guideline,hopefully that is allowed:uneasy:. I was going to use AUTOCAD but on advice from a colleague switched over to SketchUp as it works in 2D and 3D. I got a free version of SketchUp off the net and it works very well is fairly simple and there are plenty of youtube tutorials:thumbsup:. Then downloaded a SketchUp GT40 model and imported it into my drawing and:thumbsup:it fits like a glove,Yeeeha! All I need to do before I hit the body order button is tear down a Mercedes E280 Coupe that I bought (the original idea was to repair and use it) hopefully I can salvage/use some of the front/rear/suspension/hubs/rotar/discs etc, power steering and aircon components. Get rid of the body and then its a go. I need the undercover space for the GT body when it arrives. So at this point it looks like my plan is coming together:pleased:

I have spent an enormous amount of time trolling the transaxle/drivetrain threads and please correct me if I am wrong, if I understand correctly the average 300hp motor can be "safely" used with the following Audi transmissions. Listed from most suited to least suited.

1-0E1-Appears to be quite scarce in SA havent found 1 despite phoning 8 yards
2-0A2-Appears to be quite scarce in SA havent found 1 despite phoning 8 yards
3-O1X- Have found several
4-016-Plenty of these to be found

Have also found and downloaded the detailed photographic "stiffener plate" instruction manual.

Having said that it appears that the 016 with stiffener plate is used with great success despite being rated 4th. As I have said this is what I have gathered/gleaned after spending many many hrs trolling these threads.

Another question/observation gleaned from photo's is that it appears that the side shafts should ideally line up in a straight line with the wheel hubs and transmission output hubs. What degree of deflection if Audi CV joints are used will be acceptable. Any reference to threads would be great. I have found so much useful information reading through threads especially if there is a varied response.

Looks like I will be collecting the body panels and glass in December2016.

Any comments or other advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Hi Hendy

Glad to hear you making progress. I am using an 016, and will have about 10 degrees horizontal deflection. Also in my case the wheel centre line is slightly offset longitudinally from the drive shaft output centre. I have seen some references that say 10 degrees will be fine.

I have a note somewhere of the chap that apparently prepare boxes for CAV, Ill have to dig it out for you.

Cheers

Fred W B

2drivetrain.jpg

Hi Fred
Thank you for the reply, I see that you also built your own adapter plate, I am going to attempt that as well. Have made one in the past where I fitted a 2.5lt Chev motor to a Kombi I had many years ago. I towed a big Sprite Sunway caravan, in my opinion the best low speed towing vehicle I ever owned.

The intention is to use Mercedes hubs & CV's on my upright side and Audi hubs on the transmission side. I acquired a mechanically sound '87 E280 Merc Coupe dirt cheap a while back and am wanting to use hubs,calipers, disc setup, booster aircon, power steering etc if it is possible. The car is rusted so badly I think its unsafe to drive.

Did you research/build your own clutch setup or is there something available off the shelf.

Ja, quite excited about developments, I took another step forward step last night by selling off a Corvair donor car and a '63 Coupe to friend who has been hounding me for the project for some time as I had stalled with it for some 18 months. Work is just insanely busy, which is a good thing in our current economic climate and also good for bonuses. A colleague at work knows Pat from aeronautical circles. Take care and have a good weekend, cheers.

Hi Henty

I designed a flywheel that uses the original Audi Clutch. You can see some discussion at this link, although that is about attaching a rover V8 though so not directly applicable to you. Still food for though though

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech-powertrain-transaxles/22205-making-gearbox-adapator-okay.html

WRT using the Merc front uprights / hubs, if you want to run correct appearing front wheels with some offset ("dish") you going to find that they will give you a silly scrub radius.

Cheers

Fred W B

Last edited:
Back