New Ford Flat Plane V8

If this becomes a crate engine, it would be perfect for the GT-R. Mate it to the Graz trans and it'll be a beast.

Been plenty of threads on flat plane over the years and on this particular engine of late, but I have yet to see an in depth, pull it apart, measure it up with pics, weights etc. sadly the magazines etc don't seem to do that anymore like the old Hot Rod, Circle Track etc. Some good pics in that article, but no weights, lengths of rods etc. Seems to be an awful lot of counterweight on the crank which I suppose they need to smooth out vibration to please the grocery shoppers.

Keith

So the ONLY reason Ford went with a twin turbo V6 in the new Ford GT was for reasons of Le Mans homologation?

Surely they could have offered this lump as an option and not ended up pissing off the dyed-in-the-wool V8 aficionados?

Marketing men. Who can understand them :huh:

Former Stig says it's nuts! :laugh:

http://youtu.be/jp9d-HhblD0

Last edited:
I talked to the Ford guys at SEMA, one of which was the guy who was in charge of the 5.0 and 5.2 crate options. They had the Voodoo 5.2 Flat Plane Crank engine next to the standard Coyote taken apart showing all the significant differences. I will find the pictures I took and post up later. He told me Ford will NEVER sell the full Voodoo engine outside of the Shelby. He pointed to several features of the upside down display Shelby to show the work they did on NVH to support that engine. He did mention at PRI they would be announcing something in the middle. That ended up being the A52XS, which I have still not seen the pricing on. As I understand it it is a Voodoo without the crank as others have mentioned above. Secondly I believe they are offering the Voodoo top end for the standard 5.0. That should put a standard 420 or new 435 Coyote over 500hp alone. It really makes buying an F150 Coyote at $2-3k appealing with the plan to swap the top end over later. Several forums have people with truck Coyote's pumping out just over 400 when custom tuned. I will see if I can find the pictures from SEMA.
Dennis

I thought I had more pictures but here is the main display.

Attachments

• IMG_3352-1.jpg
    IMG_3352-1.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 735
Last edited:
Anyone notice the difference between the 'new' 180° Ford crank and those from Ferrari & other manufacturers?

Attachments

• 2016-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT350-5_2-liter-V-8-engine-120-626x382.jpg
    2016-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT350-5_2-liter-V-8-engine-120-626x382.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 752
  • F-355crank.jpg
    F-355crank.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,588

Keith

The surfaces appear to be very different. Is that heat treatment? The Ford also has an unusually high amount of machine tool marks on it. Aside from that I have no clue Jac...

On the Ferrari the crank pins are ends paired & centers paired, the ford is one up one down if you like along length of crank. Have not bothered to try & figure firing order yet! So it 'looks' like they have treated it like four 90° V-twins. I have or had a pic of the car upside down that showed all the NVH drama they have used to make it tolerable, cant find at mo...

Yes. or two conventional firing order inline 4 bangers to put it correctly. ( Either 1243 or 1342 on each bank )
The 'new' Ford will use either 1234 or 1432 on each bank.

Keith

So obvious question Jac is why did Ford elect to complicate the issue as NVH is obviously important to them?

So obvious question Jac is why did Ford elect to complicate the issue as NVH is obviously important to them?

That's the question Im struggling with, since the crank still has a lot of counterweight there is no real advantage weight wise.
Sound, yes.
Exhaust manifold packaging might be another as 1&3/2&4 can be paired on each bank. ( the 'old' 4 cyl pairs 1&4/2&3 ).

Thumbnail, This 'might' be the firing order for the Ford 180° engine on RHS of dwg, there are several other options.

Attachments

• Ford 180° firing order.jpg
    Ford 180° firing order.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 3,726
Last edited:
The GT350/Voodoo firing order is 1-5-4-8-3-7-2-6

As in pic, please don't tell me they have swapped #1 to the other bank now or decided to copy the dark side with odds on one bank & evens on the other?

Attachments

• Ford 180° firing order.jpg
    Ford 180° firing order.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 2,919
Back