New member depserate to buy a GT40 !!!!

Hi there everyone and a warm hello from Sunny (well nearly) Hampshire (UK)

I have just joined the forum and I am desperate to own a nice GT40, I have about £30-35k to spend (or less would be great)

Do any members know of any cars for sale, I have looked at Piston Heads and alike but I would prefer to buy directly from a member rather than a dealer.

I have been in love with the GT40 all my life and after saving for some years now is the time for me to realise my dream at the age of 48! I am 6ft tall exactly and slim, will this be a problem?

If anyone can help that would be fab.

Thanks

Aidan.

Hi there everyone and a warm hello from Sunny (well nearly) Hampshire (UK)

I have just joined the forum and I am desperate to own a nice GT40, I have about £30-35k to spend (or less would be great)

Do any members know of any cars for sale, I have looked at Piston Heads and alike but I would prefer to buy directly from a member rather than a dealer.

I have been in love with the GT40 all my life and after saving for some years now is the time for me to realise my dream at the age of 48! I am 6ft tall exactly and slim, will this be a problem?

If anyone can help that would be fab.

Thanks

Aidan.

Aidan,
Join the GT40 Enthusiasts Club. There is an area meeting near you at West Meon, where you can talk to owners, inspect their cars and get a feel for desirable features and their costs. Also, we get to hear of cars coming onto the market well before they are posted. We are also able to help with opinions on individual cars.
See the Club website for details.

Aiden, suggest you be at Goodwood Sprint Meeting 1st August as I know that there are several GT40s going to attend that are for sale, another perspective buyer is coming from France so might be worth a visit, None of the cars offered for sale are anything to do with me or Wealden Engineering. Frank

Last edited:

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Aidan

We have an ex demo car for sale right in your price range.

Give me a call on 01562 820372 to discuss.

Thanks

Andy

Aiden
If you can get to the Silverstone Classic this weekend, there will be a GT40 enthusiasts club display in the infield, come and chat to the owners, we are all keen to encourage new interest in the cars and will answer your queries,
cheers
John.

Aiden,

I am taking my car to the sprint at Goodwood (but not competing) so you are welcome to try it for size etc. - I am also 6 foot and with large feet!! Some modifications were necessary and it's no issue at all now.

I am thinking of selling it at present so if you are interested, get in touch. The car is a GTD and had a total chassis up rebuild in 2003/4.

Dave

Hi Martin

Thanks, I have gone and had a look, what do you thing are any of them good, I was thinking about the Tornado as it looks great, are they a good recreation or are there better?

Any input is greatly received.

Many thanks, you are all so nice.:thumbsup:

Regards

Aidan

Malcolm

Supporter
Thanks, I have gone and had a look, what do you thing are any of them good, I was thinking about the Tornado as it looks great, are they a good recreation or are there better?

opening a can of worms here with the latter part of that paragraph! :) When asking for comments on a public forum there are a few simple things to bear in mind to help you withstand the fun and games having asked whose replica is best. Replies to this question often go something like this....

The manfucturer of my 40 replica is/was the best ever.
My own 40 is the best version ever made for that manufacturer.
My solutions for solving issues on the car are right.

Give or take a bit!

You need to know what you are going to use your car for. Do you want to build it (time, budget and IVA) or is a used car good for you? The best thing you can do is take your time and go the club events and see cars, talk to owners NOT selling their cars to find out the pitfalls and what options are good. Find owners who are like minded to yourself and see what they have. Buy with your head not just your heart, the heart has already got you into buying mode so now use the head more.

I have to be close to you being on the Hampshire Surrey border so if you want to poke about my GTD, which is not for sale, just ask.

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for the advicve, I know exactly what you mean!

I am currently looking at a GTD at about £32k it is well known to the club, I can say no more than that as I don't want to loose it to someone else.

I am hoping to look at it within the next day or two, it really is a lovely car and has been to Goodwood quite a few times with the club so you would probably know the car, give me a PM if you want.

Also I am very close to the Surrey border not far from Farnham so we really should meet up sometime for a chat.

Thanks again and I will keep you posted.

Regards

Aidan.

Hi Aidan

I was in your position at the begining of this year. It took me a long time to find the right car. Malcolm is absolutly right, have a good look around as many cars as you can to give yourself a good idea as to what you want. I am in Fareham, so not too far from you. If you want to have a look around my GTD, you are more than welcome. It is definatly not for sale though :thumbsup:

Good luck trying to find your pride and joy, I know what its like out there.

Welcome to GT40s.com

Jas

Hi jas

Thanks for the advice, however I have been lucky enough to find an existing member who needed to sell his GTD and I am now the proud owner, it is absolutely fabulous, going to pick it up tonight!

The owner has spent a fortune on the car, I have a full spec sheet if anyone is interested, it is a MK1 with the 5itre SDS Ford racing engine and it is in just immaculate condition.

As you do not live far from me we must meet up.

Does anyone know when the next club or area meeting is, if so where and what time as I really would like to meet some of you guys face to face, I only sent my membership form of on Friday!!

Cheers for now:thumbsup:

Aidan.

Does anyone know when the next club or area meeting is, if so where and what time as I really would like to meet some of you guys face to face, I only sent my membership form of on Friday!!
Aidan.

Congratulations, Aidan!
Depending on exactly where you live, you have a choice of 2 meetings - the Surrey area and the Hants/Berks area.
The Surrey area meets in the Cobham/Newlands Corner area, but may be in the process of changing its venue, so keep an eye on the Club website for updates. The Hants/Berks area meet at West Meon.
Details in the 'Meetings' section of the website and in your New Members pack.
I look forward to meeting you and inspecting your acquisition.

Hi Everyone and thanks for the support, I am so excited with my car, I never thought I would ever own one, it is my belief that it is one of motorings biggest icons ans so it should be!

Here are some photographs, I hope they upload, I have never done this before.

The West Meon is the best meeting for me as I live in Alton Hants although I am pretty much placed between the two areas, so I will probably do both, or is that greedy?

Enjoy the pics.

Damn! can't seem to upload them, I will try again, its so confusing, can anyone steer me in the right direction, sorry:thumbsdown:

Cheers

Aidan.

Attachments

• AT LE MANS CLASSIC 2004.jpg
    AT LE MANS CLASSIC 2004.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 331
  • AT LE MANS CLASSIC 2004 (2).jpg
    AT LE MANS CLASSIC 2004 (2).jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 335
  • DSCF3733.jpg
    DSCF3733.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 266
  • DSCF4113.jpg
    DSCF4113.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 260
Congratulations Aidan :thumbsup:

I meet with the Hants/Berks meeting at Meon every 3rd Tuesday of the month, so it will be a while yet. I've not been to the last 2 meetings due to work commitments, but it is usualy a good turn out with 4 or 5 GT40's and about a dozen or so members turning up.

If you want to meet before that, drop me a pm and we can meet. I like looking around other cars for ideas/inspiration.

Good luck with your new pride and joy, I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.

Jas

Back