New moulds?

As my car is no longer manufactured do you think it is worth it making moulds from my existing panels in case I need repairs???

If it's an SA car derived from the KVA, I think Chris Melia has moulds for your car.

Cheers.

I dont think it was derived from the KVA, the car I have is a factory made GT40 rep made by a company called the Kit Car Company from SA. But according to another owner they are different to the KVA but were also made a lot later I think; this one was made in 1990 which I think post dates the KVA (could be wrong on that bit though).

Brian Magee

Supporter
I personally think it would be easier if the position arose to convert a GTD (still available), Tornado, KVA or any other available body to fit your car rather than having to take moulds from your existing car. Fibleglass can be cut and shut or extended without too much trouble.

What do you think?

Brian

I agree Brian.

That said John, I'm certain that the KCC GT40's body and chassis was derived from the early KVA GT40. Chris Melia's dash should fit a treat.

my body is derived from the old KCC an d i have moulds for all the panels. My roof mount is slightly different as I made a monocoque chassis with original type suspension as is the sil panels. the rest has been reworked to iprove the quality and finish of the part coming from the mould and should still fit your chassis. see a picture of my car under new members forum "GT40 for tall people"

I am taking measurements off the car to produce a spaceframe and looking to incorporate upper and lower wishbones and the front and rear but keeping all the measurements the same if possible - just out of interest really at the moment. I like the body of the car but the chassis etc is a bit 'old skool' really although fairs quite well but I think a bit of a modernization program is about to start....will model the spaceframe in a modelling program first I think and then look to get one made if it stands up to finite element anaylsis.....

why go to the all the effort of making new moulds, when it sounds like all you really need in a new chassis and fit the old body to it????

Bud

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
FRP panels can be repaired almost without limit, although they do get heavier and wavy from the repairs. A friends Bizzarrini is being glued back together after a moderately severe front end shunt. It looks terrific and is only a few ounces heavier than it was. I don't think you should go to the trouble of making molds for spare panels.

Here is some pics of my chassis & suspension

Attachments

• 78062-Forum2.JPG
    78062-Forum2.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 314
There is a guy in Oz selling a GT40 Business at the moment,
Basically a set of body moulds taken from a KVA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nono.gif and a chassis jig.
If you want more info I have his email address.

Back