new picture from california

Howard Jones

Supporter
I just thought you all would like to see what's going on out west!

Attachments

• 21701-From the rear.jpg
    21701-From the rear.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 270
Rumor has it...

I hear the recall effort has lost some of its steam.... Please say it ain't so.

Could anyone have done a worse job?

Sorry, don't mean to get on my high horse about politics, but this guy needs to be ousted...

mardyn

Good to see the addition of a license plate on the back of your car before Calif. triples the fees! I like the Abarth look and the spoiler looks good. The exhaust sounds sweet!!

Hey,

I thought I was supposed to get that back spoiler /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Looking goooood, I can just hear it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif. Have you charged the AC yet?? 100+ out there yesterday.

Bud, I was at downtown Pleasanton Saturday night, A guy with a yellow Ferrari (forgot his name /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif) and I talked a lot about you, all good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Evidently he had recently purchased a CAV.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I,ve been doing some drives around town, stoplights, low speed, and some freeway trying to get a feel for engine/ oil temp. I did a 1 1/2 hour drive on sunday, air temp in the low 100's and the water never got above 205f in slow traffic(fan on), then back down to about 185 when I got moving. It went to about 185-190 (fan off) on the freeway at 80mph and 2700 rpm. Oil temp went up to about 170 and stayed there. The fans seam to hender cooling above about 70mph so I turned them off on the freeway. Keeping fans on are a must everywhere that speeds are below that or stoping for lights etc. I stoped once and opened the front radiator air bleeds but found no air so I think that all the air is out. The car has a 160 therostat in it so I believe the stock raditor is marginal in this weather. Oil cooler seams to be about right. It will be interesting to try your radiator Fred. If I get the same 15 degrees you got I think it will be OK until the car starts getting some track time.
I am not going to drive it anymore for a while. Next week I'm going to take the flywheel out for rebalance. Then it's hard on the body prep for a few months.
Who likes the double bubbles on the doors? I really haven't decided if I will keep them yet. It really changes the overall look that we all know and love, but I kinda like the difference a little. If you all hate them I'll take em off. So how about a pole on the betty bumps?

Oh and ya we'll get the bum...s, "I'll be back" later.

Attachments

• 21740-Front Drivers side.jpg
    21740-Front Drivers side.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 245
Hi all

I guess down in silicon valley those California girls need all the help they can get.

Regards
Chris /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Howy,

Bubles/boobs look great (silicon or not!!), keep them just to be different!! Them tires and wheels need to go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif When are you going to get your BRMs?

Let me know when ever you want the radiator, it is yours /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

That was Alan. He has one of the last CAV space frames. If you run across a silver titanium CAV with a black gulf style stripe, don't race him. He will have a very potent stroker 351 - over 500HP - I think he will be shopping for a Derek Bell Quaife conversion soon!! I think Howards double bubbles look good but yours look better!

Howard Jones

Supporter
1-take-em off, 2- keep-um, and 1 take-em or leave-em?. Chris I live in N Cal and your right, it ain't LA baby! This is not enough data. Come on guys what do you think? There are 1000 of you guys/gals out there and only four of you have a opinion on betty's bumps?
Fred I talked to Phil at PS eng. about 3 weeks ago. He told me that the 17" BRM wheel project was progressing slowly. He had one side of the tooling completed. He also told me he had a larger interest in these wheels from others and "I need to get on this and finish the tooling". I had hoped to stop by his shop when I was down in LA last week but "The Magic Kingdom" took up all of my time, I will call him again in Sept. and check on progress. Fred if you don't mind I would like to drop by, maybe this weekend, and get that radiator from you. I found some alum, tubing at work, 90 deg bends and some straight stuff that might work for connecting the new top pipe of the radiator to the old bottom pipe on the car and I would like to work on a couple of things at the same time including mocking up that conection. Let me know what works for you.

At the end of the day Howard, it is your car... if you and your passengers have head clearance issues and it will make a more comfortable drive, then keep 'em!!

Keep them, I like them. Also like the 3/4 front shot of the car as the red paint job gives the bodywork a nice flow along the length of the car.

Keep 'em. My immediate impression was that they made the car look aggressive - in the nicest sense of the word. They certainly aren't ugly and they do give it a distinctive character.

Howard I think that they do the car no justice. I know they were required to fit helmet heads. I ordered my CAV Gulf spec car without them.
But of course what ever makes you happy. Enjoy!!!

IMHO the bumps look like some engineer measured wrong and said " oops...let's tack these on to fix our boo-boo".

I know it's an original feature, but looks kinda
"boy racer" to me. The owner should do what he wants...
it' his car and life's too short.

MikeD

Back