New transaxle option!

Hahaha.:pepper: Might be a couple years though.

Mid-engine-Corvette-Spy-Shot-22.JPG

I am hoping for somewhat high production numbers. Then we can have a great source in the future. Flappy paddle set ups would be cool!

Watch this space, "HGT" may have a trans axle trans option of their current 5 and 6 speed sequential box very soon, and it will be very competitively priced.

cheers John

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Who, or what is "HGT" ? I currently have a new in the box Ricardo, that was tricked out by RPM transmissions. But, other options, always interest me.

Just google 'HGT Transmissions', have not seen any transaxle info myself yet, but good reports on the trans, use of 7075 billet and main housing design should go a long way to curing the case deflection that most other types with cast housing suffer from in one form or another, and they are apparently very quiet for a straight cut gear setup.

Google is your friend, Richard rang me the other day as he is now getting numerous requests for a transaxle, so the same trans they now supply to the racers and drifters will hopefully be available soon as a transaxle, have no fear if anything happens I will let you all no asap.

HGT Precision home page

cheers John

I guess i should reiterate. Hopefully a new transaxle option that WON'T be more than $5,000 in used condition that is developed to accept an LS out of the box with no adapters, etc. My guess right now is that full drivetrain swaps including shifter will be way more reliable, OEM part numbers to fix and work on it, and high production numbers will draw in a large tuning community and parts.
The Vette tuning community will test the strength of it pretty quickly. It could seriously drop the cost of building this type of car in the future. Will have to wait and see. Either way, I hope it will create a benchmark for Dodge and/or Ford to jump in and make a competing mid engine design.

A guy can hope can't he?!

Here is a touch of info from Road and Track from Sept 14 2016-

It Could Be Dual-Clutch Only
A Corvette without a manual? It seems like an impossibility, but that's what our colleagues at Car and Driver believe. Instead, the mid-engine Corvette will use a seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox sourced from Tremec. Of its seven speeds, the top three are overdrives, and Tremec says it can handle 9000 rpm input speed and 664 lb-ft of torque.
Car and Driver argues that Chevy will only offer this Corvette with one gearbox to reduce cost and complexity, but a world without a manual-transmission 'Vette is hard to imagine. Still, a dual-clutch would be a big improvement over the current Corvette's eight-speed auto.

Again, it is all just guessing at this time.

My personal opinion is that is a Cadillac (not a Vette) and will be low production numbers/high price *if* produced. Think new Ford GT price/quantities.

I could be totally wrong of course.

From what you can see of the lines, it does not say "Vette" to me. It says "XLR". I also think this being a Vette would hurt sales. I don't think the majority of the Vette buyers are open to a massive change, and I think there being 2 Vettes (Front engine and Mid) would kill the sales of the traditional one as it would no longer be Chevy's top dog.

I am sure lots insiders actually know the truth (but that is not me).

Was Talking to Richard from HGT the other day and release date for the new trans axle is just around the cnr, will be rated at 1000, yes you read it right a 1000 Nm, so watch this space.
kaspa

Back