Noob Motor questions

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Re: Noon Motor questions

That's the Oberg "tell tale" system....I used one in tandem with a remote mount standard oil filter on a 1971 Mercury Comet (like the Ford Maverick) into which I swapped a 351 Cleveland and the 12 piece header system left no room for an oil filter on the block. I used the canister filter as a "pre-filter" in front of the Oberg, never had the "Tell tale" light come on.

An added benefit to the Oberg is that it offers some heat reduction if you place it where there is airlfow.

You can get filter screens for the Oberg system in a variety of filtration levels...they are also used for filtering transmission fluid.

Cheers!

Doug

Last edited:

So in other other words not really useable as I do 3k km per year. Better go then with a bigger motor less revs and hydraulics. .

That's why I went with a 427 Windsor stroker. Low stress with plenty of low down torque. If you get an aluminum small block I think you're only saving 100 lbs. over a 351 aluminum block. The extra hp and torque of the big motor make up for that easily. Regardless of which motor you get the GT40 will not handle or brake as well as your Lotus. It's not bad, but 2400 lbs. with a 45 year old suspension design is not the same as your under 2000 lb. Elise or my 1450 lb. Europa. The SPF will still be a blast on track days (and should turn faster lap times).

That's why I went with a 427 Windsor stroker. Low stress with plenty of low down torque. If you get an aluminum small block I think you're only saving 100 lbs. over a 351 aluminum block. The extra hp and torque of the big motor make up for that easily. Regardless of which motor you get the GT40 will not handle or brake as well as your Lotus. It's not bad, but 2400 lbs. with a 45 year old suspension design is not the same as your under 2000 lb. Elise or my 1450 lb. Europa. The SPF will still be a blast on track days (and should turn faster lap times).

What spec is your motor? Have you tracked your car.

Sean, I have a similar background to you. Raced single seaters (Formula Atlantic) before retiring to track days with a Lotus Europa (Zetec) and SPF GT40 with 427SR Roush the last 5 years. The Roush is 505 hp, 520 ft. lbs., but not too stressed with dual plane manifold, 4 barrel carb, 10.5 c.r., and hyd. roller cam.

Sean, I have a similar background to you. Raced single seaters (Formula Atlantic) before retiring to track days with a Lotus Europa (Zetec) and SPF GT40 with 427SR Roush the last 5 years. The Roush is 505 hp, 520 ft. lbs., but not too stressed with dual plane manifold, 4 barrel carb, 10.5 c.r., and hyd. roller cam.

Dave thanks for this, always good to have the value if someone elses experience. What wheels and tires do you use on the spf for track and when on street, also brakes?

BTW how much does your europa weigh, and what spec is the zetec? I remember eading about a company in the Uk that did these conversions from the renault engine.

Sean,
I have 17" wheels (8 & 10" wide) with Nitto NT1's for track use. Tire sizes are 235/40/17 and 315/35/17. For street use I have 15" wheels with Yokos 225/60/15 and 295/50/15. Yokos in those sizes are no longer available. Standard rotors with Wilwood B compound pads for track use. The B pads work well with my Lotus, but squeal a lot on the 40. I would ask Olthoff for his recommendation on race pads. The Europa weighs 1450 lbs. with a 180 hp Zetec engine. The Europa runs on Hoosier R6's for track use.

Sean,
I have 17" wheels (8 & 10" wide) with Nitto NT1's for track use. Tire sizes are 235/40/17 and 315/35/17. For street use I have 15" wheels with Yokos 225/60/15 and 295/50/15. Yokos in those sizes are no longer available. Standard rotors with Wilwood B compound pads for track use. The B pads work well with my Lotus, but squeal a lot on the 40. I would ask Olthoff for his recommendation on race pads. The Europa weighs 1450 lbs. with a 180 hp Zetec engine. The Europa runs on Hoosier R6's for track use.

Dave thanks for the feedback. Your lotus must be a real animal. My elise scaled at 1920 lbs with half gas and has 195Hp. I use yoko full slicks as its only $100 more than hoosiers although maybe they dont last as long, in any vebnt wnet from R cpompound o48R to the full slick. Tires do more for laptime than anything else. Brakes and suspension are probably the next two biggies. I am avoiding supercharging the lotus because it adds weight and I like having a car that forces me to drive properly and use inertia.

Will keep the lotus for tight tracks and noise restricted days. Then in springtime after afew lap days when I am dialed in and on bigger open road courses the Gt40 will come out to play. or at least that is the idea, so the feedback and impressions from someone who has traveld a sim ilar road is huge, thanks.

I worry that the Gt40 may seem to antique and ponderous, but then I am reminded that the big changes since the days of the GT40 are really in weight aero and tires. Aero is a double edged sword esp for trackays. With aero when the limits are broached that really and truly is the end. Tires are something any car can have these dyas. As to weight, yes there are much lighter moderns, but he power to weigth ratio of a GT40 seems very good and the car is robust.

For a weekend warrior who wants to have fun I am hoping this will be a greatly rewarding car to drive, as well as pretty easy to keep. Was thinking used Gt3 porche, but the $$$ in operating costs adds up quickly with those and you cant do much work at home. Plus a modern is always going to be outclassed by the next thing, whereas a Gt40 is timeless.

You really think a 427 is not too much? I worry that the torque down low will mean its always just amatter of having to hold back. These days the 427 seems to have much more power than your spec or maybe thats just advertising..
Lastly what springs and shocks do you use.

Last edited:
Sean,
Presently I'm running stock springs and shocks, but stiffer springs and adjustable shocks would help a lot. Consult with Olthoff for his recommendations. Windsor 427 power ratings can vary about 10% depending on who you believe, but I would not recommend too peaky an engine if you will be driving it on the street. I don't find it too much engine for track days, but obviously power needs to be squeezed on coming out of some corners. Being able to modulate the torque on corner exit is what makes driving these so much fun.

Back