off topic, but i cant find answers anywhere else

G

Andrew

I think Gordon's answer is that a complete
tube chassis fastback replica may be more expensive than buying a decent fastback donor
and adding the readily available Shelby style
parts.

Whether you can take a notchback, cut the roof off, weld in supports, and drop on the
glass fastback body is unknown to me,
but certainly not something for a novice.
But if you have the skills, that might work.

In my area, 1969/1970 fastback shells aren't very expensive. 1965-1967 sell for LOTS more.
I assume you are seeing the same thing.

MikeD

I do have 2 65 fastback bodies here waiting to be turned into BP vintage race cars.
What are you trying to achieve with this car? Making a 65-66 clone is very easy, 67-70 clones are much more expensive to do. the other concideration, if you are wanting to build a good street/track the coupe is a better choice. They are cheap, much lighter, and much easier to get. There were 6 GT-350 coupes built in 65. The other thing with the coupe is that they were raced in Trans-Am in the 60's. Fastbacks weren't allowed until 69. It would be very easy to build a 65-68 T/A clone. Just some food for thought.

[ May 13, 2002: Message edited by: Gordon Levy ]

i wsnt really lookin to mak a race car, i was just looking to build one so i could have a unique car to drive around, like why you'd buy and build a cobra or GT40. i wasnt looing for a race car or anything. just a great lookig car. thats why if i could get ahold of a fastback rolling chassis their'd be no problem

Andrew,

How much are you looking to spend and where
do you live? I can easily find fastbacks
here in NoCal, I just saw one the other day
for $5500 in running condition. SoCal, Nevada
and 'Zona should have plenty of reasonably
priced ones as well. What kind of shape do
you want it in?

Ian

no freakin way! 5!? in running condition??

dude thats insane. ok what im look for is a 66-70 fastback, a rolling chassis if possible(i want something i wont feel bad about ripping the gutz out of) friend of mine has a 351 windser he'd sell e for a couple hundred

best part about this, in vacaville an hour away from where u live
grin.gif

how much do u think a bargin based fastback would be? and im talkin dents all over(like dings and such) no engine, no tranny, no rust(atleast no frame rust)

i want do a little C&C with what u see in ads and such and what this dude can get me(his cars have no rust anywhere) rust isnt the worst thing...but i dont wanna waste time...plus if i borrow my friends angle grid, he's gonna find a way to use it to void the gas money he's gonna owe me in august(the joys of betting, frend of mine has roughly 3 months to get his 47' chevy running. its rear end is off the car, its tranny is gone, its engine is gone, and he has to finish getting rid of his rust)

are fastbacks common in sacramento or sumin?

I bought my 69 MACH I for $2000 and it ran. It took another $9,000 and many hours to bring it to a show but hell these cars are everywhere. The 65-66's are even easier to come by then a 69 fastback. What are you trying to do that seems to causing such problems? Let me know where you are because here in AZ you can get good rust free cars for a desent price.
John

take this in no mean way, but i hate u!, sorry its a habbit i have of saying everytime i hear of someone who has a fast back. like i said in my earlier post. im in vacaville Ca. and around here these things are rare, hence why hat guy i know has the gutz to sell a beatup 70' fastback for 4500 and not be considered crazy. i have lived in this town for 11-12 years of my life, and all this time, i have not seen a single fastback drive down the road(unless you count the 77' and the 75' in town)

anyways, etty much any 60s fastback would cure my craving for a mustang, only roblem is i doubt i could beg my parents enough to drive me across the states to get a fastback(some people just dont get that need for a dream car)

im still blown away, 69' mach 1 for 2 grand....thats amazing, down here in this diablo dealer theres a 69 2+2 S code car or sumin likethat, guys asking 16k(no not 1600)

G

So you are in the middle of California and you are complaining about not being able to find a Mustang. Have you done more than look in the local classifieds? I would have to say if you can't find one then you are not looking very hard. You may have to venture out of your city limits, but I would guess not very far.

Anyway Gordon has already pointed you to USBody, if all you want is a shell.

Go to http://www.vintage-mustang.com/ and search their for sale forum. I saw a few '68 Fastbacks listed in California for under 8k. One in NC for $3800.

Well, in today's SacBee there is a 66
fastback for $7500 all original, and
a 67 for $6900. Plus a few others that
are not listed as coupe or fastback.

Ian

normal mustangs are too common around here infact, but fastbacks and convertabes are sooo uncommon.

well, its hard to get ahold of dealers and such from other towns when you odnt visit them....ive lived here for soo long and ive never even went to modesto

there's always ebay. I see 5-10 fastbacks a day there. Many (especially the 67-68) are in the junker category.

ebay is an option, but i need to find something where either the seller will send the car, or its in california

Andrew,

If you want, I can check some fastbacks out
for you here in Sacto and nearby. I haven't
looked in today's Bee yet. Oh, and Modesto
might also be a good place to check --
plenty of car nuts there as well.

Ian

id feel kinda ackward having you check out these cars for me,so just do me a favor, if you find any fastbacks in the sacbee can you just list the phone# thats listed and it description??

Ron Earp

Admin
As an administrator note it would be nice to move non-GT40 topics to an email communication.

Not to be picky, but that is part of what one does as an admin, keep things on topic.

Ron

Sounds good. Nothing really interesting today.
Just some coupes and other nondescriptive
ones which I assume are coupes.
Someone has posted an ad looking for '65-'66
converts or fastbacks, so you may have some
competition.

Ian

Back