Two questions.....

Hi, guys--
This is only my second post here after months of lurking, but I have emerged to ask a couple of questions that the search fuction didn't reveal answers to.

First: There's a replica company, Factory Five, making Cobras that says you can take a 5.0 Mustang donor car and swap the parts from the 'stang to the Cobra. My question is, will a similar scenario work on a GT40, since it also runs on Ford gear? (Also, the newer engines in the '05-present V8 Mustangs are great, too--maybe one of those would work?) For my needs, a small fuel-injected V8 will do just fine (I only want to run the car around the farm country backroads during my days off, not kill Ferraris as I figure the car is light enough for 250-300hp to be pretty quick.

Second: Financing. I understand the replica companies require at least a $2000 deposit, which is fine. But considering a guy could spend, maybe, up to $60k on a build, I'm curious as to how those of you without access to huge pots of cash were able to acquire the gear. A personal loan? Other financing? Or did you just siphon from the college fund?

Thank you all for your input. --Brian

Sadly, the GT40 doesn't lend itself well to the donor concept. Brakes are usually Corvette, suspension is unique, engine can be any small block and in some cases a vintage big block. Transaxles are from Audi, ZF, Renault, and Porsche and require specific mating components to work.

When I started my GTD I bought a bare chassis and body from Ray on a credit card. Subsequent to paying that off I established a monthly budget and purchased parts as I could on that schedule. Guess we should should add that with the help of a very good friend I purchased what had to be every second hand GTD part not being utilized in the UK, most for a song, and others even cheaper. So although the car is taking longer than most would like to see, it's being built with very little financial impact and I will owe nothing when it is done.

I don't know if any vendors sells on an "installment" plan, but it could be a advantage to those who would like to spread out the purchase.

Brian

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Financing? - Loans? - Don't even think about it or go there. You will end up with a half built car, disillusioned, and sell it on at a silly price just to get out of the trap. Financing and loans are for the very rich and impatient brethren and if your in that category, I doubt you would be bothering to read this forum.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Brian,

When you factor in everything involved, the "deluxe" kits on offer include so many well-selected and matched components that it's difficult to go any other route except the one I did: buy an already built car and upgrade/modify those aspects that are not exactly to your liking over time and as you can afford.

As for the financing, I recommend saving until you can afford it, if at all possible. Hobbies are best enjoyed when you're not leveraging your future to do so. That said, I like the bank-robbing option ;)

Have fun and good luck!

Thanks again for the input. Maybe buying an already-complete car is a better option for me. I'm sure I can find one that's just right.... and maybe a little but more! --Brian

Chris Duncan

Supporter
AFAIK there's no manifold for ITB's for the later Ford motor, and the 8 stack in the back window is a lot of the looks of the car. Although you are correct 300hp is adequate with a 2200-2400 lbs car.

I built my GT40 over a period of 7 years for about 8K per year, and this was with all the best stuff, could have been done for less.

Most GT40 replicas are built from donor cars, but from several not just one. For instance engine, transaxle, suspension all from different cars.

My son's legal defense fund ruined my budget about 3 1/2 years ago. My bamming on the stainless convinced my wife to restock it. About a month left. This is about the sixth deadline I have established(there is a reason they call it a deadline). Wonder if I will make it????

Bill

Kalun,

check this out

Attachments

• WEBER%20BLACK%20008.jpg
    WEBER%20BLACK%20008.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 420

Ron Earp

Admin
Jac Mac's looks right on, but the other one looks like a Windsor manifold on a mod motor. The bypass even has no place to go on the mod motor at that location, port spacing is off, doesn't look right.

Back