Oil Accumulator Install

I have a Superformance GT 40 with a Roush 427 8 stack engine and the engine compartment oil cooler. I am considering installing the Moroso 3 quart accumulator, but I am uncertain where to tap in ? Can I just T off one of the oil cooler lines, or do I have to go to the trouble of using a oil filter by-pass
Thanks

Larry,
I plumbed the Accusump in the return line from the cooler to the engine. Install a one way valve at that junction to prevent accusump flow back thru the cooler.

Larry,
I plumbed the Accusump in the return line from the cooler to the engine. Install a one way valve at that junction to prevent accusump flow back thru the cooler.

This. Or you could also plumb it into the oil port nearest the cam

And to answer your question most oil lines are -8 or -10 but it really depends on your application. I would suspect -10

I used AN-12 for most of the plumbing. Some of the hardware like the T and the one way valve is 1/2" npt. It was pretty tight getting all the fittings in and still angle the hose back to the engine correctly. Can send a picture if you want.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
The best place to install an oil accumulator is right back in the box it came in.

The only time I advocate using one is in a turbocharged system where you should supply a good amount of oil to the bearings of the turbos during cool down. The only other time they are beneficial is in getting oil to the bearings prior to start up.

To use one to cover the inadequacies of the oiling system under high cornering or braking forces, is a bad plan altogether. Most Accumulators will discharge just fine and supply oil to the bearings, however, they ROB the oiling system of that precious volume of oil as they recharge themselves while hammering the hell out of the engine down the straightaway...

Well - that's my $.02 worth on it...

Randy
Thanks for your reply.
However, I am only using the accumulator as a pre lube,
for an engine that has been idle for 6 months, no race application

Some thoughts:

The one way valve seems to have a small opening, although a blow test shows no restriction (for my asthmatic old body). It would seem there is some restriction compared to a -10 line.

My Pantera is plumbed with -10. When the new, good motor goes in it will get -12.

Spinning a dry engine to start just baffles me. What does a good motor cost these days? and people start them w/ no oil pressure? Maybe there is no data to support my craziness, but I feel better w/ oil pressure - even if the engine doesn't care.

A local racer cracked his GT-350 block by spinning it w/ no ignition waiting for oil pressure. When he hit the ignition a hole was blown in the block. Truth? Dunno.

My track car has an adjustable (and GIANT) oil pressure light. When it started coming on under braking in right hand corners, I "went to the video" (my data acquistion system, cheap/funky but it works) and the truth was the car still maintained more than 30 lbs in the corner. Throttle bumped the pressure immediately.) No Accusump in this car at the time.

In summary: pre-oil? YES; Accusump? If I can; one way valve? haven't decided, but don't run one now; oil filter "bypass" ? YES

It seems the final decision would be based on your beliefs and pocketbook. YMMV

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Seems like if that was the case there would be a lot of ruined engines out there. I was out in Vegas for 5 days and just got back last night. My trucked had been parked and sitting and started fine without incident. still expect it to run for well over a 100k miles. I mean I would not start a dry assembled engine without spinning the pump but an engine that has been ran and allowed to sit for some time, I doubt you will do harm to it turning it over after some period of time if the oil has not completely evaporated. Don't over think it...

Larry,
Here are some photos of my Accusump install. I wish I had been able to orient the T so the Accusump fed in from the side and gave a straight shot for the cooler to engine line, but that's the best I could come up with in the space. Maybe someone else has a better idea. I welded in a tube frame to hold the Accusump at about a 45 degree angle. Anyway seems to work fine for the few track days I do per year. Works great as a pre lube too.

Attachments

• DSC_0001 (Large).JPG
    DSC_0001 (Large).JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 456
  • DSC_0002 (Large).JPG
    DSC_0002 (Large).JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 456
  • DSC_0003 (Large).JPG
    DSC_0003 (Large).JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 371

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I have a 3 qt system and fill the engine to the full mark when the accusump is full, so I guess during start up I have 3 qt over full till it fires and refills and closes the valve. No problems in the last 4 years.

Back