Oil change a ZF

OK Guys, who has the best solution to draining the oil from an inverted Pantera ZF ?? ( dont start with "take it out and turn it upside down - thought of that one ! ) Frank

Brian Magee

Supporter
Frank

There should be a drain plug under the rear section of the box in line with the selector shaft. This would have been the filler in the Pantera configuration.

Brian.

I watched with envy in my mates workshop, he has one of those vacum oil drainers, just slide the tube in a filler or level plug and it sucks the whole lot out. They use it mostly for engine Oil changes, but does gearboxes as well.

Cheers

You can take one of the little submersable pumps sold at Lowe's for fountains and connect the intake to a plastic tube. For $25 bucks you've got an oil vaccum. You have to prime it, but it works.

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
John, that is an interesting suggestion but I am highly skeptical that it will work. Have you tried it or know someone who has? I don't think the pump from Lowes would be strong enough to pull the gear oil. Frank if you are going to do trans oil changes routinely, I would look into purchasing a complete pump setup through a marine store or make your own. I made my own by using a 110 volt motor and purchased a brass impeller housing to make the setup. Better still is to find a mate who has a boat with an inboard motor and borrow his setup.

Mobile Oil Drainer 24ltr Air Discharge with Probes - Sealey Product Code: AK424DX

Steel fabricated 24ltr reservoir and telescopic steel drain pan with metal filter grid. Venturi suction pump powers oil dipstick probes and includes a set of quick-release probes. Gravity or suction feed reservoir with air discharge. Fitted with oil level
For more details or to buy at CCW-Tools click Here

List Price: £434.69
Our Price: £296.98 - You Save: £137.71

Depends how many you do I suppose

Joe, thanks for the message, but at that price I think I will follow Greggs advice and do a bit of experimentation first - Oil everwhere I expect ! Frank

Gregg said:
John, that is an interesting suggestion but I am highly skeptical that it will work. Have you tried it or know someone who has? I don't think the pump from Lowes would be strong enough to pull the gear .
I just used it to drain a saltwater fish tank that was a tight fit in a wall. Since you're not having to lift the fluid above the inlet, it doesn't take much suction and the siphon effect keeps the impeller from cavitating. Whether the transmission oil viscosity would cause a problem, I don't know. Come to think of it, you might just be able to siphon the oil??

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
John the oil is too thick to use that setup. The trans fluid is even worse. How many gallons is your tank? Mine is 375 gallons with another 200 gallon sump.

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
I've used these electric drill driven pumps with great success to suck tranny fluid and even diff fluid. They self prime fairly easily, and they can usually be found for $10 to $15. Their ports are standard garden hose, so any hardware store has adaptors.

John

Attachments

• drill pump1.JPG
    drill pump1.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 383
There must be an unused casting boss or lug that could be drilled and tapped for a permanent drain plug, or would that be too easy!!
cheers Jack.

jac mac said:
There must be an unused casting boss or lug that could be drilled and tapped for a permanent drain plug, or would that be too easy!!
cheers Jack.

The ERA manual has instructions to install two drains - one in the differential area and one in the gearcase. Also has a fill-level plug in the side. It's done easily when the extra holes are drilled between the dif and the gearcase for proper oil circulation. (Requires gearbox disassembly...)

Thanks Bob, This box has NO plugs suitable for draining, and If we do ever dismantle it then we can follow your advice. The box is just rebuilt with new oil, so I hope it will be a little while before we need to do that. Frank

Back