OK: Any car lust AFTER a GT40?

A GT40 was the last car on my lifetime list: Now I have a new list:

65-66 Mustang Fastback, pos GT350 clone

Cobra Daytona Replica

350Z

OR I may have hit my lifetime high water mark withthe GT40 and all cars will pale by tat: Hope to see soon when the 40 is finished. cb

Ron Earp

Admin
Well, IMHO, the 350z might fade in time, just like the Audi TT and BMW Z3 - they look good out of the hole but you get used to them. Now, if any of them had a race history and historic standing that might change things....thus your affection for the GT40 maybe?...

im with you, i got have a GT350 after my GT40. and luckly the GT350 clone will be easier, because i can buy a messed up old one lefto to rust and build it how i please

I'm with you Dave! Now that I've been down

the 40 road, a 917K would be nice! I wonder

just how difficult it would be to get a 917

tagged for the road? Anybody been there, and

done that?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Bill, I don't think a real 917 could ever be for the road.
I spent some time fetching parts from Vasek Polak in Redondo Beach LA for a 917 that was being restored - I think it was a David Piper car - which was in Adams McAll Engineering and being worked on by a super bloke called Dennis Davies. I know there were two 'frames' made in parallel (copied)while it was in restoration and these frames were apparently given Porsche numbers. I still kick myself because one of these frames sat hanging up in the roof for about 4 years and I could have bought it (but with three daughters there were other priorities i.e. schooling) The price was then £10,000.
The price of the parts I brought back were astounding ie $400 for a simple swirl pot and $600 for the screen behind the drivers head. At the same place engines were sat on the shelf (shrink wrapped) at $250,000 each and gearboxes were
$45,000, though a gearbox was tried at auction(Goodwood) and failed to get a bid at £2,500. I wish...................
Dave M

[ April 13, 2003: Message edited by: David Morton ]

Brett, An Ultima spyder would be great - if a bit wide for our roads. Having looked their models at shows I have to say (with no offence to GTD) that the engineering levels are superb for a 'kit' car.

Dave,
Maybe I agree I think the GTR is wider than the old sports. However I did meet a guy at Le Mans last year, who used a Sports as his normal car. He said even after 2 years he still got a buzz of going to pick up a pint of milk
wink.gif

As for the build, I think it is obvious if you have been reading Which Kit how well thought out a package it is. I still think that despite Ted Marlow never replying to my mail about torque levels on the Getrag 6 speed out of the Boxster-S, which they now offer as an option instead of the G50.

Brett

PS Where do you live in Hertfordshire? My Dad lives in Harpenden, would be nice to meet up for a beer
grin.gif

Well, I need to focus on getting my GT on the road before I can look too far ahead. That said, I don't think I'll ever get tired of the GT40 and my next project won't be a car, but it'll be an airplane. Specifically, a 1946 Aeronca 7AC Champ. I just need to figure out how to support myself while living in an airpark community so I can build a nice big hangar/shop behind the house.

Enough dreaming, back into the garage.
smile.gif

If there would be a next build;
Lola T70
250 GTO LM
or a car that got me hooked on race cars. I would love to build a replica of the Ferrari 340 Mexico Roadster I had a ride in, in 1963. It was the only roadster built along with two Coupes. I wonder where that car is now???
wink.gif

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Lessee.....

After a REALLY good '40 I would need some sort of Ferrari (the YING to the YANG), an Aston of some sort, either a DB3R or a late DB7 or Vantage....

A Miura would fit the program as it was inspired by the GT 40. A Porsche would be cool, either a 904 or a Carrera 6 could work. No street cars, too "VW"...Any Lambo after the P400 is way TOO "gold chain" and therefor not esoteric enough to be cool..

A 300 SL would fill the "NAZI" car requirement, as couple of good American Iron muscle cars, a Boss 302, a Corvette Grand Sport, and maybe a AAR 'Cuda would work.

For the track a Chapparel 2B, a McKee and maybe a really nice Lola T70 could do the trick. Of course I need the Oscar Koveleski/Tony Adomowicz McLaren M8 as I crewed that car in later years.

Dang, this won't cost me more than $65.00 will it.....?

Rick

A nice all original steel black lacquered Deuce roadster or 3 window coupe done up in the 50s look with Halibrand mags and wide white wall bias ply tires and a flathead or maybe a Chrysler Hemi. (Well, what did you guys expect form me anyways?)
Good thread.
Best regards, Orin Meyer

Today I got a ride in an Enzo. More like an airplane than a car. A mechanical marvel. Carbon fiber, scrolling displays, 660Hp and it idles and doesn't overheat. It is a race car that meets 2003 regs. When I got home I fired up J6 and went for my first drive since last fall. For a car built 36 years earlier its still very special but The Enzo made me realize that it's a different ballgame today but that's all a part of it...

[ April 13, 2003: Message edited by: MK -IV J6 ]

A few years ago, one of my buddies gave me a ride in his Lambo Countach (sp?)... he quoted at the time... "ya know, only one of every 100,000 people on the planet ever get to ride in one of these things..." whether or not those numbers are correct, I'll never know, but I did feel it upgraded my automotive status slightly...
Now J6 comes along, rides in an Enzo in the morning, then goes home and takes the ol' J car for a spin in the afternoon... I wonder how many people on the planet get to do that...
Again Jim... I continue to be humbled by your good fortune...

btw... After a nice GT40, I'm not sure what would come next... I'm still trying to figure out how to get the 40.

David Berry

A Lamborghini Miura would be nice and I even had a line on one in rough shape about 10 years ago for ONLY 75k. Realistically though, a Superformance Daytona Coupe would be my next choice.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I just got back from the Longbeach CART race and they had a historic GP event, GP cars from the 3 liter formula, as a sideshow. It didnt turn out that way!!! They stole the whole weekend! 27 three liter GP cars were just about all a guy could hope for. One of which was a 1979 Ferrari 312 T5,the very car that Villeneuve won at longbeach that year. My God what a sound that boxer makes!! I thought I was 30 years old again. I was jummping up and down and waving my arms like a proper wildman Italian and screaming like a banshe every time that it went past. Now thats a dream worth lusting for! My God to be young again! If just for a few laps.

Howard
As Joan Baez sung to Bob Dylan: "Get yourself down to the harbor now.
The fruit of the summer is low on the bough.
All of your history will follow you there,
and the winds of the old days will blow throught your hair..."
When I was 18 I was traveling through France and I visited Rouen to watch the French Grand Prix. In those days if you showed up early enough you could simply walk in to the pits. I'll never forget waking up at sunrise and watching the big red truck with "Ferrari Racing" stenciled on the side pull into the pits or the sound those winged monsters made.
Best
Jim

[ April 14, 2003: Message edited by: MK -IV J6 ]

Back