OK, I am ready to be flamed

Hi guys, I have been watching these boards for over a year now. Very informative and a nice bunch of guys as far as I can see.

I have still not got as far as to buy a car or order a kit tho. I have one passion outside of human relationships, my cars. I love them both. All I need to complete my collection would be a Mk1 VW golf (Rabbit) Gti and a GT40 replica.

This brings me to my question, which I hope will not offend anyone........

Why on earth are 40 replicas so expensive to buy in kit form? After 2 yeras of research I have yet to be convinced as to axactly how they are more comlex than other kits. Steel chasis, fibreglass body, V8 in back with a g50 box. But circa 30K UK pounds for a kit? For that money I could buy some serious early and iconic 911 hardware. Even an ERA cobra is comparatively 'cheap' compared to a 40. I just don't get it. I know those examples are not 40's, and my dream is to own a 40. I hope you get my drift.

Can someone explain it to me please. Not only do I need convincing, but I need to be able to convince my significant other.

TIA.

Mark,

Well, I'm sure this has been covered before, a search should
turn up commentary, but ...

Most kits are less expensive due to the amount of donor
parts available. When looking at costs, let's just look
at everything but the engine, since a 302 is a 302 is a 302.

40 donor parts are pretty much limited to (and these may
need some modifications):
hubs
brakes
transaxle
steering rack
wipers
lights

That's pretty much it. Sure, you can probably engineer the
chassis to accept some donor uprights and other things,
but that might also increase cost.

The body molds for GT40s are significantly more complex than
say a Cobra.

The spaceframe itself is also much more complex. Many replicas
still use fibreglass tubs, just about all GT40 replicas
use aluminum or stainless panelling. Again, much more
difficult to engineer and produce.

The transaxle in general is much more expensive than
generic GM or Ford 5 speeds (Audis being an exception -
they are still more expensive out of the junkyard than
a T5), but then you have to figure on custom bellhousing
or adptors, and custom clutches, cables/rods, and shifter.
Most kits come with these parts. Again, more expense.

Custom sill mounted fuel cells/tanks.

The suspension is mostly custom pieces, maybe some donor
parts (most likely modified) are possible.

For a good comparison, look at the costs for a Diablo or
Countach replica, with the correct dimensions (no Fiero
rebodies) on a tube chassis, with a SBC and Porsche transaxle
with the correct adaptors. Or the Ultima. You'll see a pattern
developing. Those kits are just about the same cost as
a 40 kit. Factory Five is trying to put a cheap supercar
out into the market, but it will require some serious
C5 Corvette parts which will affect final costs. They
are trying to hit the $30K US mark - I'm still waiting
to see if they can do it.

Ian

Ron Earp

Admin
Volume. These companies need to make money to pay the bills. When things are not produced in large quantities the cost is high to the manufacturer and the customer.

Well said Ian and pretty accurate. If it was easy to make a cheap replica 40 it would have been done long ago - oops it was, on a VW pan I think.

Thanks Ian. That is exactly the sort of info I am looking for. Don't get me wrong here guys. I am that last person in the world who expects something for nothing, but having never built a replicar before, I was struggling to see the reasons for such high prices. If I buy a kit, I will need to buy a complete one minus engine/trans. With only limited time to browse, most of the manufacturers sites are particularly difficult to interpret costs. RF seems the clearest on this issue.

With regard to Rons statements, I fully understand, and suspect that Ron knows his stuff when it comes to 40's. However. if maufacturers price too high, then they will never reach levels of orders that would allow cheaper prices, catch 22. 5 years ago I was told by a UK manufacturer that you could get a 40 on the road for under 20K (Sterling). Albeit not very highly tuned etc etc. It just seems that these kits are getting dangerously close to the price of very sexy mainline manufactured cars.

Still, I guess if we really want a forty we will pay. Or will we???

Ron Earp

Admin
If you wish to have a quality product, then the low volume nature of the cars and what most of us want out of them are mutually exclusive. The low cost was touted here over two years ago by Sean (Meat) but it never came to pass, for whatever reason I do not know. I know that I personally don't want a low-cost 40 that is going to use as much donor material as possible along with whatever compromises that brings. But, I do realize some people are willing to accept that as their 40, they just aren't offered. The manufacturers aren't interested in producing it either since margins would be less, and, more importantly to the ones I come in contact with, it just wouldn't fit their vision of a quality car.

A VW GTI? Interesting given the mix of cars you have!

For those that can't afford another divorce, there are people out there that are able to build a quality GT40 at a decent price. you just gotta look a little harder.

Archie

Back