Oklahoma

Terrible news and pictures reaching us this morning of the devastation in Oklahoma. Especially the news about the elementary schools and children.

My thoughts and prayers are with all those affected.

I'd imagine that in Tornado Alley, folks would be well prepared for this and imagine if not, the number of injured or killed could have been even worse?

Still surprising for someone like me who lives in a place where 99% of buildings are brick-built, that so many buildings in a Tornado zone are just made of wood.

Best wishes to all those involved.

I was watching a program the other evening, where they build homes in a giant wind tunnel, to improve construction techniques over in the US. Clearly a valuable exercise!

One would think that a shelter like the one that was shown in the garage floor would be code for new houses, and certainly on a to do list for existing houses.

Al,

I live 3 miles North of the tornado path. I can tell you that those that have been hit have the storm shelters and those that have not just forget about what they see over time. Best intentions and all... Oklahoma has a very high water table and the soil is predominantly red clay. It was "common knowledge" that any basement would eventually crack, due to the shifting clay, and flood. Time and technology have changed that, but the perception has remained.

There is now talk at the state capitol to use some tax money to install shelters at all public education facilities and murmurs of tax credits to day care and child care centers to do the same. I can only hope this becomes a reality. Some new additions in the area have been providing residents with community centers that have safe rooms installed. Although this is a great service I am still of the mine that personal safety is the responsibility of the person and that you should provide for those you love.

One thing that can not be faulted is the spirit of the people here. Although many on the forum are able to find fault in religious organizations, the local churches have been on site immediately and coordinated relief efforts amongst themsleves to provide of the community. My son is the Youth Minister at First Baptist Church Moore and he and all the staff were there for well over 30 hours straight coordnating the semi truck loads of supplies and equipment that came into their parking lot. They insured that every one that came had food, water, clothing, and a place to sleep. The outpooring was so great they had to ask for people to stop showing up to help as immediate needs were met within that short period of time. They have already recruited adults and youth at the church to lead in the clean up effort as soon as officials allow people back in the area.

This is the third major tornado that has hit this community since 1999. If adversity makes people stronger then these are some of the toughest people you will ever meet.

A good shelter doesn't necessarily need to be underground either but it's easier if you can. A poured concrete reinforced room with a heavy steel door can be build into existing structure. I retrofitted a safe room into a home in S FL after going through multiple hurricanes. In essence I armored the walls and ceiling of our laundry room based on plans provided by FEMA. FEMA doc 320
FEMA Library - FEMA P-320 - Taking Shelter From the Storm: Construction Plans and Specifications

Back