Old Roaring Forties Windup and Distribution?

Howard Jones

Supporter
I am not a tax lawer.... But I believe that if you have lost moneys due to what it looks like happened here it would be in fact a capital loss. Document everything and see your tax man.

I got a letter yesterday saying they wired the money to me on the 4th but I still have not seen it. I think my wire must be on a slow boat from Australia.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The electrons are "upside-down" from Oz and need to be run through a "right-way" convertor before they will work in our electronic systems.

Oh, and their toilets run the wrong way!!!!

I suspect in a post 9/11 USA there are several extra security screenings a foreign wire transfer is subjected to

BruceB

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
Thanks Howard I will give that a try when making my tax return in a couple of months - I don't think I will hold out too much hope on that though.

Gents, under US tax law it wouldn't be a "capital loss." It is quite a different beast and is called a "casualty loss." Report this loss on Form 4684 ("Casualty and Theft Losses"). The bad news is that the deductible amount is limited. First you must reduce the loss amount by any recovery (that's pretty obvious) and then also reduce it by 10% of your adjusted gross income. If there is an amount remaining after these reductions then that is generally going to be your deductible loss.

Ron Earp

Admin
So have all of you fellows received funds? I am still waiting for funds via a wire transfer and have investigated on my side as well as sending emails to C&L. No response.

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Ron,

Funds via wire transfer were posted to my bank account right after the July 4th weekend.

I am still going back and forth with C&L. They say it was sent but my bank account did not receive it. I am waiting for more information from C&L to see where the money went.

Back