Original front and rear body hinge / pivot photo request

Andrew

Supporter
Hi all, I've trawled google images without much luck, does any one have any photos of what the original front & rear hinge designs used to look like?

Many thanks!!

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Here you go...

Attachments

• Rear Clip Bracket.jpg
    Rear Clip Bracket.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 402
  • brackets.jpg
    brackets.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 443

Andrew

Supporter
Hi all, does anyone have any CAD drawings for ANY rear hinge arrangements similar to the original - Southern / AK for example?

I know on the Southern / AK chassis there is a bolt on the very bottom opening edge of the bracket to physically hold it to the chassis, it's details like this, diameter of the bobbins etc... any detailed information would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

Andrew

Supporter
Any chance you could post the link? I've had a search on GrabCAD and can't seem to find it

Thanks

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
Andrew I just made bobbins and they fit perfectly over the Southern GT peg, however that peg sits far too low for a calm to attach with a Parrot beak. So I have made extension plates and I am going to cut off the SGT plates this weekend, weld the new on and weld the peg in and capture it with another plate. I gave my water jet guy the parrot beak drawing and he cut it out of alloy just not the fancy milling work

Attachments

• Bobins-Model.pdf
    4.2 KB · Views: 161
  • TA00059-Ford-GT40-Lightweight-Rear-body-Mounts-3.jpg
    TA00059-Ford-GT40-Lightweight-Rear-body-Mounts-3.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 240

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Hi, links to photos and drawings. Hope this helps you out alittle. No affiliation.

Good luck

morten

Andrew

Supporter
So I've been through the 173 pdf's on Grabcad and unless I'm blind I couldn't find a drawing for the clam to chassis bracket.

I've seen the Taylors drawing before BUT in my simple mind that wouldn't hold the clam securely to the chassis, as mentioned the SGT has a bolt that locks the bracket to the bobbin but makes the bracket maybe 20mm thick, thicker than I'd like..... same with the ebay ones Morten linked... there's nothing locking the bracket to the bobbins

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Hi, with the positioning of the scollop opening facing rearwards, the clam is locked in place together with the side latches & optional pin bolts on top.

these tongues face rearwards just for that reason to lock, and be removeable by tilting the clam almost vertical. If tongues are facing forwards the clam can simply slide off, but no matter how they are fitted, if you forget to lock down the latches and drive off.... well the clam opens up and breaks off...

you can always drill and tap for a 5/16 or M8 bolt as extra precaution and drill a 1.5 or 2mm hole in caphead bolt and the corner edge of the tongue for safety lockingwire to be fitted.

or fit a locking plate tab on the side facia locking the bobbin/cottonreel in situ.

8A246B9A-44C8-4EEC-9C69-29960730D4BF.jpeg

3A042A82-9BB3-4A26-BFAF-6FB3EACE8D52.jpeg

spacers used to locate the clam, as these GTD bodies fit askew onto the chassis for best fit.

kind regs

morten

So I've been through the 173 pdf's on Grabcad and unless I'm blind I couldn't find a drawing for the clam to chassis bracket.

I've seen the Taylors drawing before BUT in my simple mind that wouldn't hold the clam securely to the chassis, as mentioned the SGT has a bolt that locks the bracket to the bobbin but makes the bracket maybe 20mm thick, thicker than I'd like..... same with the ebay ones Morten linked... there's nothing locking the bracket to the bobbins

2459 is for the rear "hingepoint". Front is not there.

Back