JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Or this one ?

Attachments

• Seat01.jpg
    Seat01.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 1,119
James,

Keep them coming, these pictures are wicked cool. I for one have never seen all these components up close and personal. Most people never get to see the parts individual, just the whole car and you usually don't get a chance to examine every detail like what we've been able to do with your photos. Thanks so much for share, I really do appreciate it.

JimmyMac, sorry if I have missed something here, but what are you doing with all these parts? Are you able to supply these parts to anyone that wants to buy some? Are these parts that you have serched the world for and are going into a scratch built 40 of your own? These parts look too good to have been sitting around in a supply house for the past forty years. Are they new replicated parts? Pretty nice stuff if they were just replicated! All the old GT40 parts that I have seen, looked old!

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Guys,
Unfortunately, these parts are not for sale.
Some of them go to good homes on original cars. Three notable cars on this forum have replacements for incorrect or missing parts from this stash.

You are correct that I have to search the world for the original outfitting pieces and the suspension parts for example are new and re-manufactured to prototype specification and drawings.

As some bits are super rare in mint condition, I am afraid that I am becoming catholic as to my choice of where they should go and now I believe that due to the shortage they should really go back home on originals.

I am still collecting, so one day the rest will go on a monocoque but in the meantime they are staying under my matress.

Last edited:
JimmyMac, too bad these parts couldn't be reproduced and made available. These parts make a the car more original looking for the "scratch builder". I sell most of the GT40 MKI, MKII and Lola bodies I make to "scratch builders". They all ask where they can get parts that will make their build look more like an original GT. Most people that I have met, are very secretive as to giving out info on real original parts that they have and where they have obtained them. It makes it real tough for the "scratch builder"! Interesting; every part has a long and colorful "story" behind it !

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
FRPGUY,
Reproduction of these parts would be cost prohibitive to most kit car builders as manufacturers will not set up for small runs. I have made the enquiries.
If scratch builders want to build a more authentic car then I am afraid they should have done their research beforehand and make the abortive calls like the rest of us because there is no magic wand.
Recently a couple of carpetbaggers were naive enough to contact a mate of mine for all the part numbers, drawings and sources in his collection which took him fourteen years to attain. As if he would just roll over ?.
Frankly "money does not always talk" and these calls only made this collector more insular. Try getting a set of original chassis drawings - it's just the same.

So, you are correct that most chaps are secretive about their sources and I can appreciate this as it does take an age and a lot of blind alleys to find the correct part numbers and locate them and that effort greatly outweighs any single value of these often simple items.
However, as I wrote previously the resource pool for these parts in fine condition is extremely small and placing them correctly into an original GT40 often increases the originality and hence obviously the value of the car in question.
Consider spending eighteen months looking for an overpriced $30 plastic light fitting and working out a value when somebody asks you if you are selling it. This why I personally don't sell parts.

So now, you have them in the pictures, you now know what they look like, but with respect to other collectors, you still have to do the digging.

Back