P/1034

That green is rockin'! No need for the stripes either, but then I'm a no stripe kinda guy.

Keith

What do they mean by this statement in the auction preamble?

"The first GT40 production road coupe delivered to the UK, P/1034 was initially purchased by James Fielding, chairman of Heenan and Froude, the manufacturers of the dynamometers on which the GT40s were tested."

What do they mean by this statement in the auction preamble?

"The first GT40 production road coupe delivered to the UK, P/1034 was initially purchased by James Fielding, chairman of Heenan and Froude, the manufacturers of the dynamometers on which the GT40s were tested."

They mean exactly what it says, P1034 was a road coupe not a race car, the most obvious difference being the clock on the dash.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
The UK, where it was built, Keith. You should know better than to expect accuracy, nay, honesty, from advertising copywriters, you silly boy, you. If it was built in the UK, OF COURSE it was delivered in the UK, Keith. Unless, of course, it was delivered to somewhere else.

Keith

Ah well thanks Jimbo, it's just I was thinking that in keeping with the info SPF in the video promo on the SPF Forum, that it may have been shipped from Shelby in the USA seeing as he designed and built them all for Ford... :)

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Yes, Shelby designed and built them all.
And he designed and built all the Cobras. The GT40s (all built by Shelby) only had the RHD steering wheels so the Brits wouldn't feel badly. Did I mention they were all built by Shelby, himself, with his own two hands? Shelby didn't even need a welding torch or arc machine- he would just put the two pieces of metal near each other and fuse them with his steely gaze. That's how he built all the GT40s and Cobras himself. He also painted them all himself. All by himself. That's why he was such a legend. He did it all himself. Not only did he win LeMans, he also won Indy, Sebring, Monaco (four times) in cars he built himself. The reason you don't see his name in the books for those wins is that he raced under an assumed name for all those races so people wouldn't think he was greedy. Many of those races were won by Shelby racing as "Graham Hill", which was a pen name for Shelby. He used an English name so that English people would feel good about themselves. Shelby liked English people a lot. He thought they were almost as good as Texans. Did I mention he built all those cars himself? He did, you know.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I forgot to mention that the touch of Shelby's hands would cure cancer. He did that a lot, too. Really. Did you ever see a GT40 or Cobra with cancer? See?

And he designed and built all the Cobras. The GT40s (all built by Shelby) only had the RHD steering wheels so the Brits wouldn't feel badly. Did I mention they were all built by Shelby, himself, with his own two hands? Shelby didn't even need a welding torch or arc machine- he would just put the two pieces of metal near each other and fuse them with his steely gaze. That's how he built all the GT40s and Cobras himself. He also painted them all himself. All by himself. That's why he was such a legend. He did it all himself. Not only did he win LeMans, he also won Indy, Sebring, Monaco (four times) in cars he built himself. The reason you don't see his name in the books for those wins is that he raced under an assumed name for all those races so people wouldn't think he was greedy. Many of those races were won by Shelby racing as "Graham Hill", which was a pen name for Shelby. He used an English name so that English people would feel good about themselves. Shelby liked English people a lot. He thought they were almost as good as Texans. Did I mention he built all those cars himself? He did, you know.

Good one Jim !! :lol:

& on the 8th day invented the Supermarine Spitfire and the Hawker Hurricane.

& on the 9th won the Battle of Britain single handed.

T'is the season to be silly! Steve.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

LOL. :laugh:

Jim, you make Shelby sound like another Chuck Norris! :stunned:

And we ALL know that Chuck Norris *IS* the man!!! :thumbsup:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Chuck Norris took driving lessons from Shelby, who felt sorry for him because he couldn't drive a manual transmission car.......

Thanks!!!! :thumbsup:

I almost pulled a Momma Cass with my sandwich as I read that! :stunned:

Obviously just a typo when quoted from Ronnie Spains book it reads

"The first GT40 production road coupe delivered in the UK, P/1034 was initially purchased by James Fielding, chairman of Heenan and Froude, the manufacturers of the dynamometers on which the GT40s were tested."

And yes Shelby took over the Ford GT project in 1965 and won the Daytona with GT103.

Regards Allan

Back