P/1046 Restoration Making News

Teaser video: http://youtu.be/CxtVPqKFOF0
The first video of the series will be out next week and I will share it here. It will cover the history of the car up until the time we began the restoration. It will be 3-5 minutes in length and professional narrated. We are thrilled to be able to bring this to all who love, own, dream about, aspire to own the magnificent Ford GT40!

Video #1 is ready and will be released Friday, March 13. It came out great and I'll share it with you later today- to give you first look!

Enjoy!

Jeff

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Nice video Jeff... It appears our friend Ronnie Spain is also alive and well! :)

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
I'm glad RK Motors will document the restoration in such a nice way, so everyone can observe the progress and appreciate the significance of the project. Excellent stuff, Jeff.

That was a great encapsulated history of the GT40 and superb prelude of what's to come. Great job fellas!!!

Thank you all for the kind words! it means a lot to us. We are trying our best to do the car and the fans of GT40's justice. The next video will focus on the restoration with some history and more facts in the mix- but mostly it will be on the dissemble of P/1046.

P/1046 - Preparing for the Unveil

Hello Everybody,

Paul here from RK Motors - sorry for the delay in the updates here.

I am very excited to update that P/1046 is nearing completion. We have set up a website dedicated to P/1046, its development and restoration. Please check it out: gt40.rkmotors.com

On the site you will find:
  • Exclusive Interviews with Chris Amon
  • A vehicle overview
  • Historical footage and imagery
  • A 1966 Circuit de la Sarthe turn-by-turn tour
  • A peak inside the restoration shop and engine dyno

In addition video #5 - "reassembly" in the restoration series will be posted next week.

In our interview series with Chris Amon, we discussed the 1966 Le Mans Finish. He sets record straight once and for all. The interview is at the bottom of this page:RK Motors - GT40 P/1046
race

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
In our interview series with Chris Amon, we discussed the 1966 Le Mans Finish. He sets record straight once and for all. The interview is at the bottom of this page:RK Motors - GT40 P/1046
race

It would seem the current owner of the car would be better served staying far far away from this debate. To do otherwise suggests more dubious intentions.

As Chris Amon recently stated "At pace we would have won Le Mans". P/1046 was on pace to win before team orders were given to slow down well before the finish. So while controversy over the finish exists, the reality is: P/1046 was the rightful champion.

Dave Collins

Supporter
I was pleased to see that 1046 stayed over in Europe for the Le mans Classic and had not returned to the USA with 1015. It was good to see it parked in the heritage area with the opportunity to get a lot closer than was possible when it was displayed in the Americans at Le Mans exhibition at the 24hrs.

I was very interested to look at some of the fine detail that has been gone in to during the restoration to ensure it is as accurate as possible to 1966 race condition and I specifically liked the following elements:

1. Rivet holes for rear deck marker light protector. It has now become clear that both 1046 and 1015 did have marker light protector shields fitted when they were shipped from USA and on arrival at Le Mans in 1966 but they were removed at some point before the race.

2. Brush painting of the race numbers.

3. re-creation of spray pattern for red jacking points with red over white over original blue.

4. un-painted indent by drivers door handle but painted on passenger side

5. Some form of electronics under near side luggage box. Not sure what this is, possibly something to do with timing, but looking at period pictures there does appear to be something under there (anyone any ideas what it is?)

6. Re-enforcing strips around the front of the doors. I have not been able to make this out on period pictures, but may be a good idea for my car where the drivers door is splitting on the front seem.

I would like to congratulate all at Rare Drive who have done a brilliant job on this and also to Rob Kauffman for making it possible.

Dave

Attachments

• LMC0716_296k.jpg
    LMC0716_296k.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 332
  • LMC0716_324q.jpg
    LMC0716_324q.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 319
  • LMC0716_303l.jpg
    LMC0716_303l.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 323
  • LMC0716_316p.jpg
    LMC0716_316p.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 296
  • LMC0716_328r.jpg
    LMC0716_328r.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 326
  • LMC0716_331s.jpg
    LMC0716_331s.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 327
  • LMC0716_311n.jpg
    LMC0716_311n.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 318
  • LMC0716_305m.jpg
    LMC0716_305m.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 324
  • LMC0716_314o.jpg
    LMC0716_314o.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 327
No 5 A replica sensor was copied from XGT-2 according to Ronnie Spain for GT40P/1046. All cars in the 1966 Le Mans race had this at their rear. John Allen mention with Ronnie that the timing sensor was at the by the beginning of the pits. This was linked to IBM computer. So by the time the MK IIs had staged their fake dead heat finish on the "finishing line" the result was already known!!!
Regards Allan

Back