P1001

Keith

No, you nailed it Bill - that's him. Driver of the P4 is listed as P Sutcliffe so that might be 0860 which he ran at Le Mans with Gunter Klass the same year (1967) No. 19, so paint out a figure 1 and what have you got?

The Gulf car magnesium fuel filler caps were not painted black.
Thats the natural colour magnesium oxide adopts.
I have a few sets.
The fuel switch over valve was a Vickers product, fitted to both many military
and civilian aircraft of the period, but rarely of the bore and output configuration, to work in a 40.

Thanks for the info Charlie. Can you tell me does magnesium come in different forms;resulting in different colours? I have seen Magnesium Halibrands unpainted have a pinkish/ orangey colour to them or was this a protective coating?
Regards Allan

No, you nailed it Bill - that's him. Driver of the P4 is listed as P Sutcliffe so that might be 0860 which he ran at Le Mans with Gunter Klass the same year (1967) No. 19, so paint out a figure 1 and what have you got?

From the light painted boxes on the Ferrari it would make that a Maranello Concessionaries car. That light colour would be Cambridge Blue it would be a 412P or as the privateer would call it a P3/4.
From Anthony Prichards book Ford verses Ferrari the number 9 Ferrari 330P car at the BOAC 1967 race was a P3/4 raced by David Piper and Richard Attwood. It was probably the same car they ran at Le Mans chassis 0854.
Peter Sutcliffe (with Ludovico Scarfiotti) did race the only 330P4 Belinetta entered but this was number 7 (cannot confirm this is chassis 0860).
As you know there were only three proper 1967 330P4 all Belinettas (0858, 0846 and 0860). The works Spyder was a converted P3 chassis car so although it was an official P4 and brought up to works specs; it was not a true P4! When it crashed at the 1967 Le Mans only the three true P4s were left. But to add to the confusion two of them were converted to Spyders for the BOAC 500.
Regards Allan

P/1042(1001)

I must say, you gentlemen really know your stuff. The guys over on the Autosport forum have now got involved and kindly furnished images of GT40P/1001 in its various guises. Thanks to Tony Gallagher, Sid Taylor's biographer, Jerry Entin and Alan Cox. Sid Taylor, for those who aren't aware, owned 1001 in 1967, its main driver being another great New Zealand racer, Denis Hulme. I am hoping to meet the said Sid Taylor and will be very honoured to show him the car when it's finished, as it'll be in his coloursscheme of white with triple green stripes. I think a couple of the images here, were taken just after Sid purchased the car from Bernhard White, hence does not have the three separate stripes. I know my car's only association with 1001 is the bodywork, but it doesn't half make things more interesting for me, as there are surprises around the corner and I have met some very esteemed people along the way.. Andrew

Attachments

• ford4ps[1].jpg
    ford4ps[1].jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 394
  • GT40 Sid.jpg
    GT40 Sid.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 384
  • GT40.jpg
    GT40.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 403
  • img130.jpg
    img130.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 365
  • img525.jpg
    img525.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:
You've seen GT40P/1001 pictured in the blue with red & white stripes when driven by Charles Lucas at Brands Hatch (above), so now watch the car at the same BOAC race in 1967 in action..."OUCH"!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMTXezcAJto]1967 BOAC 500 Sports Car Race Brands Hatch.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

Andrew, what a great piece of vintage footage, thank you for posting. The greatest era of Sportscar racing ever IMHO (late 60's - early 70's).

A few things observed in the film clip.

The stunning designs of most of the cars in the race.
The outlandish look of that ginormous wing on the Jim Hall designed Chapparral (What the team managers must have thought about that wing after it finished first!)
The complete chaos and lack of safety in the pits
The staggering value of those cars today
Ths simplicity of racing in those days (haul your car in with a Ford van, sign up and race what you brung!) Love it.

You have any more footage from this era....I'm all eyes mate.

Keith

There was no money in it in those days. Observe, zero sponsorship...

It was simply the car manufacturers and those "gentlemen" that wanted to go racing. Nobody ever made any money out of it, except perhaps the top drivers and even they may have participated for nothing.

It wasn't a 'business' as we now understand it. For that reason, motorsport in the UK (at much lower levels than the BOAC 500 obviously) was open to many hundreds of enthusiasts who could lower a suspension and change a wheel.

It's that basic affordable simplistic club racing both for the participant and the spectator that I miss most because it got me started. .

Keith... there's no money in it these days.. not in this house... not with the expense of original GT40 parts nowadays! Jimmy, I'm pleased you enjoyed the old movie. I'll post a couple of links you may have or not seen before on the video thread. Frank... yes it's you and Whealdon Engineering who got my project off the ground and I cannot thank you enough. Funny how you were at Brands Hatch for the BOAC, I was only 6 years old and living 300 miles away.... Andrew

When I came across Hugh Dibley's official BOAC film of the BOAC 500 and got his story which resulted in a visit to Lola in Huntingdon in 2006 (through then Glynn Jones) by the GT40 Enthusiasts club. In
1967 things were much simpler. He was approached to make a film promoting BOAC involvement in sponsoring the race. There were cash prizes and a cup. He borrowed a 289 Cobra I think from Checkered flag and was filmed driving to the race. Bruce Maclaren lent him a Mclaren Elva to use as a camera car. There was also the involvement of a light plane also used for filming. When one of the main sponsors of the film pulled out and left the budget reduce from £3000 to £1000. He was left with a producer who had little knowledge of racing. But the film was completed. He has it available on his website. But due to the nature of the internet you can get it on UTube. What gets me is the speed of the Lola T70 MkIII I believe driven by John Surtees that went like a rocket until a mechnical fault stopped its unlikely victory. The full stories in Fortifications 2006.
Somewhere I have a picture of a white GT40P/1001 running in Sid Talyors colours with Dennis Hulmes name painted on the side It might have been Silvertone Autosport Trophy 23/3/67 which was won with Dennis Hulme driving.
I know there was a lack of sponsorship when you compare it today. But there was sponsorship. An interesting fact was that Slot car model companies like Revell, Lancer, Scalextric, Russkit and Cox among other sponsored motor racing. I think I read that Cox sponsored Chaparral to the tune of $40000. Look for the Cox stickers on the side of the 2F.
Regards Allan

Last edited:
I am afraid the following comments from John Oxborough, backed up by Brian Magee on page 1 of the Stoneleigh Show thread "kit built cars should not be looked down upon by some folk who having found a few
"ORIGINAL" parts, constructed a "ORIGINAL FAKE" and then consider a kitcar show beneath the clubsactivities ," is the final straw and I cannot bring myself to describe the progress of my car any more on this forum. I apologise to the vast majority of people who have expressed great interest, but the open comments of the minority have caused me much pain and heartache. Even though I have been blind-disabled since 1986, I gave 101% to the club as a volunteer. I showed the same dedication and patience to this forum and genuinely thought lovers of the GT40 marque would enjoy hearing about my car. I shall re-iterate for the last time, that I have never said my car is the original GT40 "GT40P/1042". I had hoped others would speak up on my behalf, but alas I am alone. Well, perhaps not quite alone and I will leave you with a copy of an email message from Ronnie Spain received in 2012: "Hello Andrew,
Your forum posting is absolutely fine with me. No disagreement at all about any of
what you said.
Thanks for the links to the 1967 Le Mans videos. I'll find time somehow to watch
them.
All the best,
Ronnie"

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Sorry to hear that Andrew. I have been following your build with interest, especially as I get to look at it 'in the flesh' on the odd occasion. At least I will still be able to check it out whenever I go down to Dave's. Best wishes. Brian.

I am afraid the following comments from John Oxborough, backed up by Brian Magee on page 1 of the Stoneleigh Show thread "kit built cars should not be looked down upon by some folk who having found a few
"ORIGINAL" parts, constructed a "ORIGINAL FAKE" and then consider a kitcar show beneath the clubsactivities ," is the final straw and I cannot bring myself to describe the progress of my car any more on this forum. I apologise to the vast majority of people who have expressed great interest, but the open comments of the minority have caused me much pain and heartache. Even though I have been blind-disabled since 1986, I gave 101% to the club as a volunteer. I showed the same dedication and patience to this forum and genuinely thought lovers of the GT40 marque would enjoy hearing about my car. I shall re-iterate for the last time, that I have never said my car is the original GT40 "GT40P/1042". I had hoped others would speak up on my behalf, but alas I am alone. Well, perhaps not quite alone and I will leave you with a copy of an email message from Ronnie Spain received in 2012: "Hello Andrew,
Your forum posting is absolutely fine with me. No disagreement at all about any of
what you said.
Thanks for the links to the 1967 Le Mans videos. I'll find time somehow to watch
them.
All the best,
Ronnie"

Very sorry to hear that and you I completely understand you. All the best with your wonderful car and project. I will miss it and thank you for all the interesting contributions! Best wishes!

what you said.
them.
All the best,
Ronnie"

Very sorry to hear that and I completely understand you. All the best with your wonderful car and project. I will miss it and thank you for all the interesting contributions! Best wishes!

Andrew - with almost 41,000 views and 300 replies your build has, including myself been of great interest.

Something to reflect on, all the best whatever your decision.

Chris

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Andrew,
Those that denigrate your efforts and your sight of the ' long goal 'smack me of envy.
I bet few have ever got off their fat arses and invested the time to find original parts. I say this as a vendor, who has much to lose by alienating potential customers. But seeing as that is their limp attitude, well frankly...i can do without them...
To boot, many are just ' Cheque Book Jonnies '.
Fuck them i say....

Back