P1001

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Your car is looking good Andrew. And it is in some very high quality company....

Attachments

• Door.jpg
    Door.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 648
  • D.jpg
    D.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 690

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
That would be one of CCDs Jaguars, wouldn't it... which model is it? I can't tell.

You DID shoot more than one picture didn't you, Brian? It's supposed to snow here again today, please cheer us up.

I'm a new member to this forum and I've just spot this thread.
Your story is inspiring!
It really looks amazing, I wish you good luck and if I may say it now... Happy miles!

Thank you for all the updates.
George

Brian Stewart
Supporter
It's a D-Type destined for the UK Jim and almost complete. Dave has had it running. He's also working on an XKSS. It's an interesting workshop at the moment with the three 40s and the two Jags. Sorry for the thread drift Andrew.

Attachments

• CCD.jpg
    CCD.jpg
    666.6 KB · Views: 587
"Welcome" to George and "Hi" to Jim & Brian. Please don't worry about hijacking this thread, it's had worse before!!! More photos of my car would be nice as I'm right around t'other side of the World and although David is a great gentelman and unbelievably good engineer, I don't always get too much information about progress, as I would hope for. The better the work is described to me by you guys, the better, as most of you will be aware I am totally blind and use a talking computer, plus my very patient, but non-expert wife Debbie, to describe the progress. I therefore "look" forward to updates please. I do need a pair of 15"x10" magnesium BRMs for the rear as my 12" rims are too wide for the old standard wheel arches. Regards to all.. Andrew

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I wish I had one of Dave's D-types, or an SS, or a similar old Jaguar. Not that it's going to happen. Glad the GT40s are coming along. They ought to be ready just in time for winter down there... :)

P/1042(1001)

David & team have been busy since Christmas. Original-style and period-original dials believed from GT40P/1045 and steering wheel from GT40P/1027 pictured here. Note the single fuel gauge as GT40P/1001 was a "cross over" car, meaning it had two tanks interconnected, but only one right hand fuel cap. This was the result of competing in the 1966 Le Mans, where refueling was only allowed from the right. Makes sense as the other side was an open pit lane in those days, with no retaining wall. Refueling from the pits side, meant the mechanics were safely behind the car and not in the passing traffic.

Attachments

• DSC02196.JPG
    DSC02196.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 540
  • DSC02197.JPG
    DSC02197.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 534
Hi Andrew
Le Mans always had the pits and refueling on the right. Luckily being a right hand drive UK car the GT40 this meant the drivers change and refueling was accommodated easily. Indeed by 1967 both the MKIIB and the MKIV had done away with the need for cuts in the roof for the passenger:- as no passenger was carried and none would of taken part in the Le Mans start.
By 1966 all MKII had their passenger side fuel filler caps blanked off. The 1967 MKIVs had their filler caps under a cover so I do not know if they used a crossover system. The MKIIB followed the previous years MKII's and had only drivers side fuel fillers But I do not think they had blanked off fillers. They were new designs and had only the drivers side built in. The same applied to the 1968/69 Gulf cars although their filler cap was magnisum and painted Black.
Does the cross over switch have anything to do with the switch on the bulkhead I think on the drivers side that was (?) taken from a Camberra bomber?
Good luck
Regards Allan

Charlie Farley

Supporter
The Gulf car magnesium fuel filler caps were not painted black.
Thats the natural colour magnesium oxide adopts.
I have a few sets.
The fuel switch over valve was a Vickers product, fitted to both many military
and civilian aircraft of the period, but rarely of the bore and output configuration, to work in a 40.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
"Safely behind the cars"... right. If you believe it, I do. Great era in racing, but I think Pit Row at LM was dangerous no matter where you were.....

P/1042(1001)

"Hello Gents". My friend, a fellow Club Lotus member, Tim Arnold, visited New Zealand recently and dropped into David's workshop and took these candid shots. This is over six weeks ago so, naturally, the car is less progressed than now... Andrew

Attachments

• P1000812.JPG
    P1000812.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 426
  • P1000813.JPG
    P1000813.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 385
  • P1000814.JPG
    P1000814.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 433
  • P1000815.JPG
    P1000815.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 410
  • P1000816.JPG
    P1000816.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 416
  • P1000817.JPG
    P1000817.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 395
  • P1000818.JPG
    P1000818.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 452
  • P1000819.JPG
    P1000819.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 484
  • P1000820.JPG
    P1000820.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 519
  • P1000821.JPG
    P1000821.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 485

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Ho hum, another gorgeous period car. Yawn.

Just kidding, Andrew. It looks fantastic. Do you think she will be running this year? I hope so.

P1001 at the exit from the Paddock at Brands Hatch for the 1967 BOAC 500 driven by Charles Lucas and Roy Pike. Finished in Dark Blue with wide red stripe bordered with narrow white stripes.

Keith

Great photo! I remember those 'tin sheds' only too well. Brands Hatch is a seriously cold place most of the year and the Paddock was no exception, lying on your back in the wet was no fun. Some years later they removed the tin sheds as an improvement!

I think I'm right in saying they are about to turn left down into the tunnel under Paddock Hill Bend, if so, it's about to get really really loud.

Thanks for posting that - fond memories... :thumbsup:

If you download the BOAC photo and enlarge I think that could be Alan Mann standing beside the P4 about to enter the tunnel

Back