P1001

If find this sad and a bit ironic. In most classic car circles, an 'original' car that has had its body/frame replaced would be concidered a 'rebody' and get less respect than your car. I get why you are not claiming provinance for '1042', but it sounds like you actually have enough documentation that could easily 'get away' with getting it titled and registered here in the US as that car.

Oh well... I will be sad to not see your car completed.

Keith

Andrew, why let a couple of people ruin this project for the majority? I think it marvelous that despite your disability you are putting more into it than most able bodied people. As a disabled person myself, unable to do much, even drive my own car, I take inspiration from your efforts and read every line.

If that sounds like pressure - it is, but in a nice way.

C'mon mate....

Post an update.

Please Andrew, don't let one narrow-minded comment ruins that so nice thread.
Why capitulating in the face of such smear campaign, as you have so many views and replies, showing so many support from lot of people ?

Don't surrend, go on ! Ignore the "Grinches"... I must see that car completed ! This could be the best reply you could send to these unrepentant moaners.

Andrew:
I enjoy your thread also. I am amazed at how much information you have about each part you have acquired. I would encourage you to continue posting. Any one who has gone to the effort you have to acquire parts with history and give them new life deserves a hats off.

P/1042(1001)

Gentlemen- thank you so much for your kind support. I am still a little shocked at the comments made, but as there has been so many people asking me to continue, both on the forum, via PM, email and over the telephone from all over the World, how can I fail but to carry on the good fight. You know, it's just the cars we love and whether one can aford an original, originalish, replica or 1/18th scale model, we all have the same passion, so let the hatred end and the love continue...

I have had trouble finding original 10" wide BRM magnesium alloys for the rear of my car and had considered a pair of replicas, but that would have watered down, a little, what I'm trying to achieve, so I've decided to send out my 1965 FAV five spoke alluminium wheels (pictured) as they are 8" fronts and 10" rears. All the period photos showed six spoke BRMs, but these FAV wheels will suffice for now.

I've also had (in writing), that my GT40 will be back in the UK before November 2014, so this is exciting, as I've always hoped to debut it with the GT40 Enthusiasts Club during the Classic & Sports Car Show in Birmingham (UK) in November.

I was especially heartened to receive a message from one Tony Gallagher. Tony is the biography for Sid Taylor and is writing a book on Sid's racing career. For those who are not aware, Sid was a racing driver in the early 1960s before moving onto team management with "Sidney Taylor Racing". Sid had a very good relationship with that great New Zealand driver, Deni Hulme, who drover over 40 races for Sid, winning about 29 of them, if my memory doesn't fail me. Well, as I've said before, Sid owned GT40P/1001 in 1967. According to the most excellent Murrey/Allen book "The Fords Which Beat Ferrari", the colourscheme changed from the Bernhard White Racing white with green/black edged stripes to white/triple green stripes, between March and May 1967. It's the triple stripes with gold wheels, which my GT40 is to be painted. Now, Mr Taylor is excited about my project and has kindly furnished a signed plaque to rivet to my dash panel. The pictures here show the car bing driven by Deni Hulme and Sid signing the plaque for me. Again, thanks for all your support... Andrew

Attachments

• F3L.jpg
    F3L.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 382
  • CIMG0211.jpg
    CIMG0211.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 368
  • CIMG0212.jpg
    CIMG0212.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 357
  • img532.jpg
    img532.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 326
  • gt40 sidney hulme.jpg
    gt40 sidney hulme.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 359
Andrew, so glad you're going to keep up posted further on your build. I personally like the more rare 5 spoke wheels much better than the fairly common BRMs. I thought they were called "Alan Mann wheels" but maybe someone can clear me up on that.

Mark Clapp

Andrew, Many posts ago I coined your car a type of "frankenstien" with its assembly of parts from all corners of the earth both original and not so I'm really thrilled to hear 'ol "frank" will eventually come to life. Even the good Dr. had to deal with the angry villagers before he finally accomplished his goal. So on initial fire-up of its engine the only words from your mouth should be......well you know the rest.....followed shortly thereafter by f**k all you villagers! Continued success and can't wait to read your next post.

Andrew, so glad you're going to keep up posted further on your build. I personally like the more rare 5 spoke wheels much better than the fairly common BRMs. I thought they were called "Alan Mann wheels" but maybe someone can clear me up on that.

Mark Clapp

Hi Mark and Andrew
I do not think they were called Alan Mann wheels. I know the Alan Mann P68 Ford 3 litre ran on 5 spoke. I think they were an option of 5 or 6 spokes probably still JWAE/BRM.
As far as I can gather. There were JWAE/BRM type wheels earlier than 1967.
In the 1966 Le Mans GT40P/1040 (practise??)was on 6 spoke BRM type wheels but these were American ones. They famously appeared on one of the MKIV J-4? The one that was used as a test bed the one with the fins driven by Bruce Mclaren for testing only.
Andrew sorry to be perdantic but it was Gordon Jones and John Allen that were co-authors of the Ford which beat Ferrari.
Good luck with the build.
Regards Allan

Hi,

Welcome back Andrew.

As far as I remember the 5-spoke wheels were for the P68/F3L. The last time I looked, GT40P/1008 was also wearing them and has done for many years.

Regards,

Graham.

P/1042(1001)

With regard to the wheels, the debate has been going on some time (years) about whether these are called "F3L" or "FAV" wheels. Ronnie Spain told me they were an optional extra for early GT40s, so the customer could order his/her car with either wire Boranis, or these. However, they were used on the F3L programme, but derive from the GT40. That's probably why one of the five spokes on each wheels, is embossed "GT40" and not "F3L". They are alluminum and come from the garage of GT40P/1002, the car commonly known as "Felix" as the UK registration number is (FEL 1C). Somewhere, and I can't find it at the moment, but may have posted it some years ago, there is a photograph of 1002 racing at the Nurbergring in 1968 wearing those five spokers. I will try to dig it out and post here. In the meantime, if anyone can find an image of Felix, or any other GT40, with those five spoke wheels, then I think we'd all be interested if it could be posted in this thread. Best wishes.. Andrew

Back