P2251 questions

Hello everyone,
Im in the market for a Superformance Gt40. Dream has always been a wide body in Gulf livery. The 1/12 scale model in my den doesn't cut it anymore:)

Found P2251 for sale at a good dealer near Chicago. Im aware of the drawbacks of a widebody, ie trailer issues and lack of tire choices.

Upon first inspection, the car looks real nice, with less than 2k miles. Noticed a little very light corrosion on some rear frame pieces. My big concern is the right rear tire sticks out from the clam about an inch more than left tire. Exhaust is also off center (to clam) by same amount. Clam fits and closes perfect to body. Notices an extra shim thickness on rear clam left attach point. Didnt see obvious signs of body or frame repair. Is the par for the course for Mk1s? Superformance fit and finish usually seems darn near perfect on their Cobras.

Lastly, is any familiar with P2251? Any history? Its for sale at D&M Motorsports in Illinois.

TIA...
Eric

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
We have seen off-center on the rear before. Likely a combination of rear suspension settings and shimming of rear clam. The rear ride height looks to be set "high" probably to prevent tire to body interference which multiplies the issue, the car is certainly going "downhill" in the side shots. You can definitely see the offset to the right in the center rear photo, the exhaust looks to be 1-1.5" offset. I know Olthoff has seen this, I suggest you talk to Dennis and get his take.

Rick, I see one on your website but its marked SOLD. Do you have another? Im afraid "new" will be out of my price range.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Tires aren't really an issue, Pirelli still make the 345/35-15 and a 275/40-15 if you want true Z rated matching, but sidewalls are shorter than original. Avon historic tread or hand cut slicks are a popular choice in 15", but it's also pretty easy to get a set of 17" wheels too!

That's a pretty good price for a SPF and specification.

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
The CR6ZZ's and CR-500's are DOT approved. However, this car has a 13" rear rim width, so likely a bias ply tire that wouldn't be DOT approved.

Going to a 17" rim diameter would get you choices such as the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's. They have a 26" diameter which is about 3/4" shorter than the Avon 295/50-15. I had those on my CAV back in the day and are very good tires.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Rick, I see one on your website but its marked SOLD. Do you have another? Im afraid "new" will be out of my price range.

The car is not on our website. It was completed for a customer who has decided to move up to a "50 year Gulf" car. Contact me and I will put you in touch with the customer.

Eric, I have a RHD MkI in Gulf Livery (per my avatar). New to me and am only now getting it out after the MidWest thaw. Happy to provide what limited info I can on the car I have. I did recently get a set of 17's with Michelins per Ron's note. I plan to use the AVONS on the track and for select cars n coffee outings (not a show guy), and the 17's for the other 100,000 miles.

Just put my wide body Gulf, P2351 for sale through Hillbank. Very period correct build, by Olthoff. Ford racing 302/364. Weber 8 stack, new ZF, LH drive, leather.
2D9150F1-FECE-47CC-9004-916AB05AA2C1.jpeg
0206FA90-4E4C-49B8-A294-4265380B05D3.jpeg
3F20757B-A878-4863-A81F-2BF8C8794D2A.jpeg
2D9150F1-FECE-47CC-9004-916AB05AA2C1.jpeg
0206FA90-4E4C-49B8-A294-4265380B05D3.jpeg
3F20757B-A878-4863-A81F-2BF8C8794D2A.jpeg

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Wow, why are so many SPF car's going up for sale so soon after acquisition?
Actually the percentage of "quick resales" has gone down in recent years. Some buyers only want to try a GT40 and discover they don't fit, are afraid of it, etc. Some like Eric with P2251 have decided to move up to the new 50th anniversary version, some are going from LHD to RHD and so on. We have had two Gulf livery cars consigned to us in the last year and both were owned for over 5 years before being sold on. Both owners have other cars and didn't want the GT to just sit. Here are the two cars sold: https://www.timemachineauto.com/resales.html

Eric, I have a RHD MkI in Gulf Livery (per my avatar). New to me and am only now getting it out after the MidWest thaw. Happy to provide what limited info I can on the car I have. I did recently get a set of 17's with Michelins per Ron's note. I plan to use the AVONS on the track and for select cars n coffee outings (not a show guy), and the 17's for the other 100,000 miles.
Thanks!!! Im not a show guy either. I prefer to drive my cars. Gotta admit, I'm a little anal on maintenance and I prefer originality, with some exceptions to improve drivability

Just put my wide body Gulf, P2351 for sale through Hillbank. Very period correct build, by Olthoff. Ford racing 302/364. Weber 8 stack, new ZF, LH drive, leather. View attachment 97896View attachment 97897View attachment 97898View attachment 97896View attachment 97897View attachment 97898
Now thats how a rear clam should fit!!! Beautiful car. For space, money and marriage, I'm stuck with trading in my Ferrari. I hesitate to sell it outright, for fear of not finding a suitable replacement. The hunt took 3 years. So unless you are in the market for an 04 360 Spider, (gated shifter!!!), yellow, Daytona seats, shields, challange grill, bla bla bla, your perfect gt40 is out of my range

Wow, why are so many SPF car's going up for sale so soon after acquisition?
I suppose some buy them just to "get it out of their system". Having other less practical, impractical cars might take some of the heat off the gt40, ie, a little more comfort for your spouse. I for one look at gt40s as a great all around everyday car

Back