Painless wiring

Hi guys,

I just want to share my experience of the support given by Painless performance. The situation is that I have purchased a 12 circuit harness that needs some adaptation to fit into my GT40 replica. To my surprise there was no wiring scheme included in the manual. So the natural thing is to send them a question and ask for it.

Believe me when I was surprised when I got the answer as stated below.

"Hello; due to proprietary reason the company will not release a schematic of
> any of our harnesses, that's why there is not one in the instruction manual.
> Thank you for contacting Painless and showing interest in our product."

What is the the judgement for such statement....

Cheers
Henrik

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Henrik,

Chuck & Ryan used the Painless wiring harness in their RCR - have a look HERE and then maybe check in directly with them for any suggestions they'd be able to offer.

Best,

T.

Yep - I cannot see any legitime reason not to provide a schematic - thats what most manufacters do.What these guys do is not rocket science!

- If they believe that the value they add to the market is to make designs of harnesses they are mistaken. I am sure that many of us can design a good harness and even a better one that Painless do. What they add is that they save time for me as a builder - thats the added value!!

Their current policy do not want me to recommend a Painless product to anyone, allthough the harness itself is of good quality. However if I cannot make adaptations and have a good understanding of the product without doing a thorough documentation of the harness it is quite useless since it has not saved any time for me!

Ron Earp

Admin
As silly as this is going to sound....

Get one of the US forum members to ask. I wonder if you being in another country or a "foreigner" as many US people say, had anything to do with it. They might have seen you as some sort of off-shore threat that was going to copy their product.

I know that sounds silly, but I also know that some less-worldly people in the US have just this sort of mentality.

Ron

As silly as this is going to sound....

Get one of the US forum members to ask. I wonder if you being in another country or a "foreigner" as many US people say, had anything to do with it. They might have seen you as some sort of off-shore threat that was going to copy their product.

I know that sounds silly, but I also know that some less-worldly people in the US have just this sort of mentality.

Ron

Thanks Ron for your support and advice - I am sure there will be a solution with or without help of Painless.

Best regards
Henrik

Next electrical system will be from another vendor or self designed. The added value that Painless should attribute with ( saving some time ) is completely lost now. On top of all recent discussions I can see that their design is dated from stone-age. Eg. all power to headlights is going through the breaker on the dashboard...

It it is not Painless wiring - it is Painful wiring!

/Henrik

I

Henrik,
Maybe you shuold look at American Autowire. I used them in my build. Their kits were more than complete. Everything you could possibly want is there. Everything is listed, pictured, described, bagged and counted. They do everything except wire it for you. They are the most complete setup I have seen so far. I have a basic knowledge of wiring. They show you in detail how to connect everything. They are willing to help with out side of the box problems. I didn't have any column mount switches and they showed me not only how to hook them up, they had the switches as well. Your hardest decision will be deciding how many circuits you want and what accessories you will use. I had to add many relays for pumps(trans cooler, oil cooler, Accusump, water, and high and low fuel pumps) and fans(oil, two for water, and transmission,), and they gave me the info that I needed and was a big help.
American Autowire Home: Wiring Harnesses and More for your Car Project!

You can use Google to find the more expert help with relays. They are really quite easy to do, and they can do so many things. Check them out and I think you will find what you are looking for without the hassle. You should also look into getting a 12 volt power source(6 amp) and then use it to check out the circuits before you hook up the 175 amp power source. It will tell you if you have a short, missed or crossed wire without frying other wires as well.

Bill

Here is the wiring manual for the Painless generic 12 circuit system. You will still need to adapt it to your car but that should be easy enough to accomplish. I much prefer the American Autowire over the Painless harness. The wire in the AAW harness is of a better quality, but the Painless will work as intended.
The instructions are in .pdf.
http://www.painlesswiring.com/Manuals/90501Manual.pdf

Yep - next time it will be an AAW harnes. The Lotus 23 project is in projecting phase;-)

Thanks guys for assistance and support
Henirk

Back