Paul's build thread. (9 months away)

Hey guys, I introduced myself in the appropriate thread. I'm from New Orleans but currently live in California for work.

Im about 9 months away from ordering my GT-R from Fran and his company. I've restored 2 cars in the past 12 years, a 1971 Torino and a 2nd gen fbody.

I've never tackled a kit car but I'm not to worried. I live for finding solutions to problems and tweaking until I get it right. I have a few questions (shit load) that I want to ask, but for now I'll ask 1! I'm going to order the kit without the trans initially. I'm 100 percent sure I'm going 5.0 coyote route btw, but I won't have the funds to secure the motor or trans until summer of 2020.

My question is what can or better yet what order would be the most logical to assemble without having my trans and motor? Any recommendations on what I can tackle first?

Thanks for all your help.

Last edited:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Congratulations Paul
First I would install heat shield and insulation that you are going to use
Then start with the biggest pipes and install them for Radiator, Aircon. etc - which will allow you to fit the Radiator and aircon condensor
Then next smaller pipes down like Brake lines and fuel lines that you are running in hard pipe / tube (This will mean you set fuel tank, pumps and foot pedals in the places they should be.)
Then wiring and clip it all down along the length of the car and the dash (Real spaghetti time!)

You should then b able to start gitting some bodywork and aligning it

Ian

Congratulations Paul
First I would install heat shield and insulation that you are going to use
Then start with the biggest pipes and install them for Radiator, Aircon. etc - which will allow you to fit the Radiator and aircon condensor
Then next smaller pipes down like Brake lines and fuel lines that you are running in hard pipe / tube (This will mean you set fuel tank, pumps and foot pedals in the places they should be.)
Then wiring and clip it all down along the length of the car and the dash (Real spaghetti time!)

You should then b able to start gitting some bodywork and aligning it

Ian
Sounds Like a plan. Thanks for the vision

Udo

Supporter
Fully agree with Ian. Have all wiring and hosing around the engine bay ready before the engine goes in, so you can enjoy the free space.

One thing I would recommend, although it will already be obvious to many, is bear in mind you may need access to some parts to remove them later. For example brake pipes, if you were to put the clips that hold them on the gearbox cross-member when the gearbox is not there, when it is installed it may prove difficult to get to the bolts that hold the clips (not telling you how I know :( )

Paul welcome aboard as with any of the previous cars I have built I start 2 yrs in advance by pulling a build sheet together which allows me a step by step schedule so I don't go to far down the road and have to take everything apart to gain access I would get a plan written out and modify it knowing the motor and trans will come later. Paul you could do a ton of work brake lines, coolant lines, fuel lines, radiator, lower the front spoiler, electrical, if your very ambitious you can modify the body with the help of H rear clam shell bracket system I would say run thru this site and you will get a good idea of what steps you can achieve now and later

Welcome to the fun. I would suggest that the first thing you do is set a rough ride height and rough alignment. This will allow you to locate the body panels correctly so the tires/wheels are centered in the wheel wells of the body. This will allow you to proceed with setting the spider in the correct place -- which controls the rest of the panels, dash and doors. I wish I had done this first. Another item is to fully inspect the suspension and that the components are installed correctly. My right rear upper A arm was install backwards--throwing off the body alignment.

Welcome to the fun. I would suggest that the first thing you do is set a rough ride height and rough alignment. This will allow you to locate the body panels correctly so the tires/wheels are centered in the wheel wells of the body. This will allow you to proceed with setting the spider in the correct place -- which controls the rest of the panels, dash and doors. I wish I had done this first. Another item is to fully inspect the suspension and that the components are installed correctly. My right rear upper A arm was install backwards--throwing off the body alignment.
Spider?

If you are going to paint the car, I suggest doing all the bodywork first. Most people do it last, but it can make a huge mess, then all the dust gets inside your wiring, plumbing, engine, etc. you can set all your gaps and block the body before you install that stuff, then remove the panels and put them somewhere safe until time for final paint. Easy to blow/vacuum out all the dust and then start installing wiring, plumbing, interior, etc.

If you are going to paint the car, I suggest doing all the bodywork first. Most people do it last, but it can make a huge mess, then all the dust gets inside your wiring, plumbing, engine, etc. you can set all your gaps and block the body before you install that stuff, then remove the panels and put them somewhere safe until time for final paint. Easy to blow/vacuum out all the dust and then start installing wiring, plumbing, interior, etc.
Speaking the truth. I used to paint for a living. I know this all to well

Question.

The aluminator xs or the gt350 flat plane. I could get the latter as a dropout for about 3k less with a little research. What's the better bang for the buck?

Neil

Supporter
Read John Horsman's book "Racing In The Rain" to find out about flat-plane crankshaft vibration!

Back