Pilot(spigot)Bearing lubricant

Jim Dewar

Supporter
Does anyone have recomendations for spigot bearing lubricant (RF Needle type)? I also need recomendations for release bearing (thrust bearing) sleeve (Nose) lube.
Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated! Jim

Just use standard wheel bearing grease. Remember the only time the grease will be utilized is when you are at a stop light with the clutch in. Otherwise the clutch and the input shaft on the trans will be spinning at the same rpm, so no friction. And on that same note it’s better to go with a busing rather then a bearing, considering the busing is much stronger.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
I have been advised not to lubricate the bushing - they are usually already impregnated with lubricant.

Howard Jones

Supporter
The needle bearings need grease. I use the same redline high temp grease that I use in my CV joints. Needle bearings MUST be lubed. Pack it into the needles but don't over do it so that it gets slung all over the place and onto the clutch.

I am aware that some have recommended that bronze bushing do not need to be lubed. If you do not lube yours MAKE SURE it is the oiled bronze bush type. There are many materials out there that have been substituted for the correct type of bronze bushing.

I can't see where a light coating of CV joint grease will hurt anything no matter what kind of bushing you have. On the other hand if it is a dry bushing it will more that likely seize without grease. That is a major pain in the ass to get apart if it does.

All in all I like the needle bearing solution instead of a bushing.

Needle roller & release brg - grease ,wheel brg type.( Not too much )
Porous bronze - oil, to impregnate hold bush between thumb & forefinger with plastic over fingers while bush is filled with oil & squeeze, you should see oil come out of pores in bush, done.

Jac Mac

Jim Dewar

Supporter
Thanks Guys, I do have needle bearings so your suggestions seems to be wheel bearing grease. What about moly-cv grease better-worse?
I also need to lube the release bearing nose or sleeve - not the bearing but the guide bolted on the tranny - same grease?

Back