Police/public relationship in the U.S.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I find this entire thread has become extremely distasteful with this kind of speculative detail...and to further have to put up with a pseudo forensic discussion on the dynamics of a head shot on another human being?

...uh...what will the jury be discussing/debating, Keith?

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...or do we have a police officer who took a lickin' and extracted revenge as Brown was walking away after the altercation.

...So, had Brown been 'running ("walking") away' when that shot was fired (and he'd have to have BEEN "running ("walking") away" for the bullet to strike him in the back of the head), his body would have to have hit the ground facing away from Wilson's patrol car...but it didn't...his body fell facing toward the 'car.

(Sigh...)

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
It strikes me that there are MANY unresolved inconsistencies in this case, Larry...looking forward to hearing more info about the incident.

As for my opinion of Fox News(?) Network...their agenda is well known. The news feature I saw was NOT on FN(?)N, so it automatically has more credence to me than something that is credited to Fox. That boat sailed long ago...they are unreliable, ergo unbelievable. There does exist a very left-leaning national news network...I do not watch that one, either. Each of us has to make the decision regarding whether or not the network they are watching has adequate veracity and both FN(?)N and (I hope this is the right show...soon as I saw one of their broadcasts I stopped watching that channel) CNBC have failed my"sniff test" in that regard.
You might be surprised to find out how varied my political opinions are...I just have little use for the lunatic fringe/radical viewpoints...FN(?)N on the right and CNBC (still hoping that is the right channel) on the left.

Regards,

Doug

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
What the heck is "FN(?)N"???

"It strikes me that there are MANY unresolved inconsistencies in this case, Larry...looking forward to hearing more info about the incident."

'Boy Howdy' on that one...

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
What the heck is "FN(?)N"???

FNN calls themselves the Fox News Network.

They have shown such political bias that I cannot view them as unbiased and therefore the drivel they put out cannot be believed as "news", which should be delivered without bias...ergo, the (?) designates my questioning belief that they are a "news" network...a political action group, maybe, not a news network.

Oh...yeah....about the political personnel you mentioned...IMHO Gee-Dub should be tried as a war criminal for getting us back into the middle east in the first place; Boehner and his partners in crime should be held accountable for having cratered and allowed the radical right (TEA Party) to shut down our political system; and yeah, the Repubs have to own that problem because it was their own doing. (I would never have mentioned these things except for your comments a few posts back....) Just FYI...I was never a Pelosi fan, either, but she did nowhere near the political damage Boehner has.

I was a bit displeased with the characterization of John Kerry as this administration's "Dudley Do-Right"....that is, until I took a good look at him. Same square chin, same almost everything. Now I chuckle about it...but, IMHO, he's doing a fair job as SOS (although nowhere near the great, IMHO, job H. Clinton did). NOBODY, not the military's intelligence committee, none of our national organizations, nobody saw Benghazi coming...generalized unrest, yes, but a group out for an evening stroll causing the trouble they caused, nobody really expected that, AFAIK.

Cheers!

Doug

Last edited:

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Good news! Tempers have calmed down and after 3 nights of peaceful protests the National Guard is being sent home :thumbsup:

CHEERS!!!

Doug

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Kind of getting back to the heart of the matter:

St. Louis officer suspended after video comments

(more details into the comments) http://news.yahoo.com/police-officer-brands-ferguson-protesters-rabid-dogs-033508734.html

Officer who pointed gun at protesters suspended

(Wondering and hoping this is hyperbole) Police going crazy and running scared. These guys hire on, supposedly knowingly and willingly to promote peace and the law in the face of increased personal risk, yet when the heat gets turned up, they "lose it". How is the public to have any confidence in law enforcement's ability to manage crisis moments when this is what we see.

Last edited:
JUST THINK ABOUT IT
Detective Melvin Santiago, Jersey City Police Department, New Jersey

Does anyone remember Detective Melvin Santiago?
He was a Jersey City police officer who was shot to death just a month ago, on July 13th.
Santiago was white.
His killer, Lawrence Campbell, was black.
Does anyone recall Obama appearing before national television and calling for justice
For Officer Santiago’s family?
Does anyone recall Eric Holder rushing to Jersey City to see that justice was done?

Patrolman Jeffrey Brady Westerfield, Gary Police Department, Indiana

How about Officer Jeffrey Westerfield.
He was a Gary, Indiana police officer who was shot to death last month on July 6th.
Westerfield was white.
His killer, Carl LeEllis Blount, Jr. Was black.
Where was Obama?
Where was Holder?

Officer Perry Renn, Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, Indiana

Or Officer Perry Renn?
He was an Indianapolis, Indiana police officer who was shot to death just last month on July 5th,
The day before Officer Westerfield was killed.
Officer Renn was white.
His killer, Major Davis, was black.
I don't recall any mention by Obama about the untimely death of Officer Renn.
And,I doubt that Eric Holder rushed to Indianapolis to make sure justice was done.
Or, maybe I just missed it.

Deputy Sheriff Allen Bares, Jr., Vermilion Parish Sheriff's Office, Louisiana

Vermillion Parish Deputy Sheriff Allen Bares was gunned down by two men just last June 23rd in Louisiana.
Deputy Bares was white.
His two killers, Quintlan Richard and Baylon Taylor, were black.
Was Obama outraged?
Did Eric Holder rush to Louisiana to make sure that the family of Deputy Bares found justice?

Detective Charles Dinwiddie, Killeen Police Department, Texas

Right here in Texas, Detective Charles Dinwiddie of the Killeen Police Department
Was murdered by Marvin Lewis Guy, a black male.
Officer Dinwiddie was white.
This happened on May 11th, just over two months ago.
I don’t even recall seeing anything about that on the news.
Certainly, the white citizens in Killeen didn't take to the streets to loot and burn businesses.
Again, I don't recall any mention by Obama or Holder.

Police Officer Kevin Dorian Jordan, Griffin Police Department, Georgia

Then, there is Officer Kevin Jordan of the Griffin, Georgia Police Department.
He was gunned down just two months ago on May 31st.
Officer Jordan was black.
His killer, Michael Bowman, was white.
This was a white man murdering a black police officer.
Where was Jesse Jackson?
Where was "The Reverend"� Al Sharpton?
Was there looting and burning on the streets of Griffin, Georgia?
No!!
In fact, I don't recall hearing about this one in the news, as well.
Why? You can draw your own conclusions.

Over the past 60 or so days, there have been five reported deaths of police officers by gunshot in the US.
Of those, four were white officers who were murdered by black men.
Blacks complain that white officers treat black men more aggressively on the street.
You can draw your own conclusions on that one, as well.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
The conclusion I can draw is that you seem mostly ignorant to some basic facts about American society. The reason why black on white violence doesn't draw the same attention is because whites remain the dominant race in American society. We make 30% more on average. We have significantly higher net worth. We are more likely to be educate and less likely to be stopped by the police and convicted of crimes we didn't commit.

And if we are killed by a police officer, our families have some reasonable assurance that the situaiton will be handled fairly.

Black folks? They have had 300 years of being killed by the powers that be without recourse.

So it is a very different situation and your inability to comprehend that shows a level of ignorance I had hoped we had left behind in 1965 MIssissippi. But it lives today, here, in Al Wohlstrom.

Great.

The conclusion I can draw is that you seem mostly ignorant to some basic facts about American society. The reason why black on white violence doesn't draw the same attention is because whites remain the dominant race in American society. We make 30% more on average. We have significantly higher net worth. We are more likely to be educate and less likely to be stopped by the police and convicted of crimes we didn't commit.

And if we are killed by a police officer, our families have some reasonable assurance that the situaiton will be handled fairly.

Black folks? They have had 300 years of being killed by the powers that be without recourse.

So it is a very different situation and your inability to comprehend that shows a level of ignorance I had hoped we had left behind in 1965 MIssissippi. But it lives today, here, in Al Wohlstrom.

Great.

You obviously didn't listen to the young black man on the video. Your comments show your ignorance.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
You obviously didn't listen to the young black man on the video. Your comments show your ignorance.

I don't need to Al. I'm not the brightest bulb in the house, but I have enough brainpower to understand that one person's voice does not encapsulate "race relations in the US" even if it agrees with me, disagrees with me, or scares me.

I'm also not dumb enough to get riled up by Faux News "look at the black folk killing white folks and no one is doing anything about it!" nonsense. Because I can assure you, for those black folks who committed those crimes (and many who committed no crimes), the criminal justice system takes care of them far more efficiently than whites.

A black person who kills a white person has an extraordinarly higher chance of ending up on death row than a white person who kills a black.

What does that tell the black community about the value that is placed on their lives?

It continuously amazes me the level of ignorance -- is it willful? it is intentional? is it hiding something more sinister? -- white older male conservatives exhibit about race, race relations and the black community.

I don't need to Al. I'm not the brightest bulb in the house, but I have enough brainpower to understand that one person's voice does not encapsulate "race relations in the US" even if it agrees with me, disagrees with me, or scares me.

I'm also not dumb enough to get riled up by Faux News "look at the black folk killing white folks and no one is doing anything about it!" nonsense. Because I can assure you, for those black folks who committed those crimes (and many who committed no crimes), the criminal justice system takes care of them far more efficiently than whites.

A black person who kills a white person has an extraordinarly higher chance of ending up on death row than a white person who kills a black.

What does that tell the black community about the value that is placed on their lives?

It continuously amazes me the level of ignorance -- is it willful? it is intentional? is it hiding something more sinister? -- white older male conservatives exhibit about race, race relations and the black community.

You have a tough time carrying on a civil conversation without name calling. Where in my last two posts did I say anything derogatory or racial about Blacks. Are you ok with Sharpton, Jackson, Obama, Holder, etc. stirring the race pot? They don't even attempt to help. Do you think that it's permissible for Blacks to riot for the purpose of looting? Do Whites, Hispanics, or any other ethnic group do this when they have a grievance? What makes it right for the Blacks? It's not perfect yet, but slavery ended 148 years ago. Tell me, what do you do to improve race relations?

Attachments

• images-1100.jpeg
    images-1100.jpeg
    11.3 KB · Views: 271

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Regarding the increasingly military appearance of much of the equipment used by police forces, I read an interesting news report over the weekend.

It seems that since the U.S. has withdrawn its military from much of the mid-east they have a lot of "surplus" property, and they are making these surplus items available to police departments AT NO COST. Police departments all over are snapping up armored personnel carriers, weapons, tactical gear like bullet-proof vests, etc.

I understand the desire that police departments have to avoid injury to their employees. It is just my (previously stated) opinion that as long as the police in the U.S. will continue to present themselves in a militaristic manner, the "divide" between the public and the police will continue to widen. Sure, the police MAY be able to protect their own with these military surplus items, but why not use them to protect the public?

Oh, yeah....now I remember....it's because the police have become increasingly paranoid and hyper-vigilant, even to the point of inspiring those who are "demonstrating" to further violence. Perhaps this was not such a well-thought-out program, after all???

Cheers!

Doug

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
I suspect it was an effort by the military to avoid the costs involved with storing and maintaining the items. Is it possible that the cost of new items, should we need them in the future, would be less than the storage/maintenance costs?

At any rate...it looks like we can expect to see more military/tactical gear being used by the civilian law enforcement agencies....and (I predict) with more and more dissent voiced by the public.

Could we as a nation be headed toward the anarchist scenario presented in the "Mad Max..." series of futuristic movies?

Mad Max - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

{Edit--I realize the cause of the scenarios presented in the Mad Max movies was based on energy shortages....I was referring only to the lawless nature of the movies in which only those who had the greatest physical "power" were in charge.}

I fear we are if the escalation in angst among the general population is not stemmed in some manner.

Doug

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I feel the same way. More and more, those in power, or have power over others, appear to exercise it with less and less restraint. It is becoming more and more a dog-eat-dog world out there, with our governmental agencies looking the other way if not joining in.

Back