Porsch transaxle oil leaking from outlet plug

Need some help sorting and oil leak from the transaxle I have just finished my build running a g50 52 porsch transaxle as it's upside down there is trans oil leaking out of the drain plug which is now on the top any suggestions as to why and how I can fix it. Thanks

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Nigel,
Most have used some sort of vent / catch tank at this location, if you don’t already have some sort of vent to relieve pressure caused by heating, I would advise you to look into it..

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
May not be applicable, but my inverted 930 does the same thing (assuming it pushes oil out the vent when the car is driven). I tried various things that reduced the oil pushed out (my vent is located just forward of the fulcrum plate, on the main case). Eventually I had to go with a catch can. I guessing that if I relocate the vent, the problem would go away because this is not due to expansion or blow out (still does it after reaching max temp). It appears the my vent is located where oil is slung up from the gears, so perhaps moving it to a less active portion of the case would help.

Nigel,
Most have used some sort of vent / catch tank at this location, if you don’t already have some sort of vent to relieve pressure caused by heating, I would advise you to look into it..
Hi Randy thanks for the reply that sounds like the solution is there any chance you could piont me in the right direction as to putting the vent in and how its configurered ?. If I just direct it to a catch can I am thinking I will have trouble maintaining the correct column of oil in the box , what do you think ?

May not be applicable, but my inverted 930 does the same thing (assuming it pushes oil out the vent when the car is driven). I tried various things that reduced the oil pushed out (my vent is located just forward of the fulcrum plate, on the main case). Eventually I had to go with a catch can. I guessing that if I relocate the vent, the problem would go away because this is not due to expansion or blow out (still does it after reaching max temp). It appears the my vent is located where oil is slung up from the gears, so perhaps moving it to a less active portion of the case would help.
Thanks Terry Awesome I think I will look into that makes sense

We have been thru this before with Alex/Efnfast, IIRC he solved his problem by relocating the fitting, I think if you modify the fitting along the lines of the attached drawing so that any lube thrown off the Crown Wheel / Ring Gear can not directly enter the fitting/breather tube your problem should be minimised. I would drill the current fitting out to max size possible ( without weakening the threads ) and push a tube into it which can have a hole drilled in suitable position as shown, you will need to test fit and mark fitting to ensure you drill tube in correct position to avoid fluid being thrown into tube.
Untitled.png

I ran into the same problem
https://www.gt40s.com/threads/930-transaxle-puking-fluid.51000/

Basically what I did to solve it was I put an AN fitting into the vent hole, then ran a -8 hose straight up to the roll cage (i..e, high point above transaxle) and jammed the vent fitting onto the hose (although you could just use a breather filter). I havn't had a drop of transaxle fluid since doing that.

If it's anything like the 930 I think the gears are slinging fluid up/out of the vent fitting so the solution is to move the vent tube to a higher location (making sure any fluid slung up can drain back down and not get stuck into a p-trap, etc.)

Back