Porsche 917 onboard footage

917s' have that wonderful little round hump above the steering wheel. Missing. I believe the film is Derek Bell in a 956, could be a 962, but I think it's 1983 (pre 962 ? ). Would have to watch the footage and compare the track to changes made over the years.

NB. Yep search youtube. Derek Bell. 956 in 1983.

Last edited:
hi i think you will find it is indeed derek bell in a porsche 956.it is a turbo if you listen when he changes gear you can hear the waste gates of the turbos.the film comes from a video called incar 956 where derek bell drives the porsche around some race tracks. silverstone,the old nurburgring,le mans,spa franchorchamps,brands hatch,fuji speedway,kyalami. hope this helps regards chris

Sorry Marcus,

Definitely nothing like the 917s dash or wheel layout.

Damn good video though isn,t it.

Thanks for finding it.

Graham @ GTA.

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
In a word - inspiring. Going down the Mulsanne Straight at 200+ is one of the things I'd like to do in life. 3.5 miles of pure joy. Probably won't get there so I'll settle for this ride.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

Don,t be too sad. Nobody can do it like that anymore as they have put two chicanes in the Mulsanne straight now ..............

Graham

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
Two chicanes? Didn't realize that - I must be living in the dark ages.:rolleyes: You're right, now I don't feel like I missed anything - LOL!!

These come from a DVD called "In car 956" which is a nice video that is sold by Motorsports Collector and I think it's on Amazon as well.

Back