porsche 924 tranny to audi 016 tranny case?

hi all!, great forum!
i did a search but didnt find anything on this,but may be some one has done this.

i bought an 81 porsche 924 tranny, 016 301 211C 5 speed manual transmission "none turbo",
since this transmission does not have the clutch assembly in the bellhousing, i was wondering if the case alone could be replaced with an audi 016 case, so i can have the clutch assembly installed in the bellhousing and have every thing still work!.

thanks for any help.
later

This sounds like a new slant on the old (previously discussed) question of whether a set of 944 gears will fit into an Audi 016 transaxle. The reason for doing this is to obtain a better ratio set than the available 016 options, with possibly stronger gears in the bargain. I think that the conclusion was that it might work but that nobody has proven it yet by actually doing it. Try searching again to see if you can find something. Best regards, Orin Meyer

Ron Earp

Admin
The kit that Mark Worthington has was originally owned by Bob Lawerance of Texas. I knew bob pretty well at that time and he told me his Audi box, that is now in Mark's posession, was fitted with a 944 gear thus lowering the ratio. I wan to say it was a 3.44 that he told me it was fitted with, but, I don't know if it happened or not. Mark, you could turn the input shaft and count the output to see if it was done or not, if you do not already know. This might shead a clue.

Dump that 924 box in a pond and get a Audi box, same thingm easier to work with.

Ron

i was thinking of dumping the 924 "selling on ebay" and geting the audi 016, but was tring to see if there was any way of maybe keeping this one,since visualy the gear case end of the 924 is the same as the audi "visualy",i thought i could of saved this one by just swaping the case,since it seams so dificult to find an audi tranny on the net. for the same price $275.00 that i bought this one for.

Most likely you will be able tofind a used Audi 016 in a local junkyard for less money. Happy hunting. Best regards, Orin Meyer

I had a 944? 6 speed(not up on my porsches) trans in my shop. That has the same layout as 924, It had no spigot on the front of input shaft.
This is not uncommen in front wheel drives but not rear wheel. The thought that came to my mind is the inputshaft supported by the tailshaft .
If it didnt need support why has the 016 trans got a spigot bearing facility.(to my knowledge).
This is why i didnt use the one i was offered as it is a case & inputshaft & i couldnt see the point especially if there were internal differences the project would blow out.
Jim C

Back