Porsche GT3 vs GT40

Charlie Farley

Supporter
I know of a seasoned European Saloon Car Champion, many times. But would you trust him with your 'special child'?
Anyway, how can you compare a computer designed souless German box, with a , rare!!!, piece of UK/USA, inspired, beauty. And that comes from someone who rebuilt a crashed RSR, 1973 vintage.
God, i wish i had it know, command a King's ransom!!!

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
I just saw a beautiful 7? RSR at the Porsche club area at the ALMS at Laguna Seca last weekend. The car was really nice, crazy black and white checkered buckets, had 12km original on the speedo. The fellow was selling it for about $200k. The fellow was really nice and was telling us about the thin sheet metal and then promptly pushes in the roof to show how thin it was (It popped back out). They also had a 917S (Open top, not sure of the S) on display, but sadly I don't think it was run.

Very cool car...even for a Porsche /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sandy

For what it's worth, January of 04 Car & Driver did a write up on the Ford GT, GT3 and Ferrari Challenge Stradale called "The Megastars". Yes I know your talking Gt40 not Ford GT but a few people I have talked to that have GT40's have told me they blow away the GT's on the track.
The artical says that the GT3 is a tick slower than the Ferrari but the GT wacked them both by more than 2secs. on the track (same pro. driver in all three) and the striaght line stuff was joke.
The artical can be found under Car and Driver "The Megastars".
Steve

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the info Steve. What took you so long to reply?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The post was about GT40's not Ford GT's. Some on here get testy when someone replys to a 40 question with a GT answer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Steve

A friend of mine has just got a used Ferrari Challenge Stradale and it is a bad a$$ car, No BS in it except the stereo option. No carpeting, no sound insulation, etc, my kinda' car! However the engine is a bit small for my likes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I am trying to get him to bring it out to the Willow Springs on Nov 11 as my bosses GT will be floating around as well as a couple of Porsches. Good for a picture any-a-ways!

Sandy

A few thoughts from me……

Firstly, I think that at “our level” by far the biggest factor in any car’s track performance is the driver.

For example, one of our club members (in a GTD) was once out on track with a highly respected and very quick historic race driver in a track-prepared but far from race spec. Ford Capri.

No-one would doubt which car was capable of putting in the quicker times, but the GTD driver still had to try quite hard to do so!

Secondly, this year I’ve shared track time with a “standard” GT3 and a modern 911 Turbo with 4wd and, I believe, the 450bhp upgrade. Both days were VERY wet and we were all on road tyres.

My experience on those days was that the GTD40 was comfortably quicker than both of those Porsches, but it comes down to so many factors: How experienced is the driver on track? How well does he know the circuit? Attitude to risk?
I have to admit to using all of the grip available from my tyres, and I suspect the other drivers were being more cautious than I was.

On another day, who knows……… I suspect that all things being equal, the GT3 – particularly the RS – would be quicker than most GT40 replicas. There’s 40 years of development between them and the aerodynamics alone must make a huge difference…..

But in the end, does it really matter? I can’t think of many cars I’d swap my GTD for /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!

Charles

Ron Earp

Admin
Sandy,

I know the fellow in Florida who tends the Ferrari Challenge 360s for business, carts them all around the country and works on them as well as drives them too, SCCA racer who I bought my trailer from. His advice - if you want to go faster and have less trouble doing so get a prepped Corvette C5 (meaning cage etc). You'll be faster with less hassle, just won't look as cool! ;-) He mentioned probably 60% of his clients end up doing that if they stay in racing .

I've now driven my GT3 RS, and its simply unbelievable.

The grip is mind blowing.

That said, I'm not a seasoned driver, and it will take me some time to master the full potential of this car.

Malcolm

Supporter
JP, Goodwood is Tuesday 15th, not 14th November. I know your car is quick but it isn't a time machine! Actually for a Porsche, it looks quite tasty.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Ron -

Yes, my friend definitly won't be racing his Ferrari, just wanted him to get it on the track to see how it drives. It is a very cool car, but I'll bet very tempermental!

If I could have one it would be a waxer car it's too nice looking to drive. The vets' at the ALMS while I was watching were hammering the pack, not sure how they finished but seem to not have a glitch and were fast. Can't say the same for the Saleen and a few others...

Plenty of cool cars, just no time, money, or garage space for them! I'm just excited to be starting the GT40 project the other cars are really in the noise compaired to it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sandy

In the last Classic car event we had in Monza (where i saw David Piper and his 917) I had the opportunity to see all together some old glories and some new race cars (for some short laps to heat tyres all together)and in one of those laps i saw a 917 and one of those so much hated gt3(also I hate them.)running on the same part of the track.
What says Russ Nicol is absolutely right....going up to Curva grande(the long fats turn after the first chicane in Monza)the gear shift was terribly faster and useful in modern cars.
I dunno what do gt3rs use as race shifter, but i remember i heard 6 shoots in a very very short time between a gear and another.
While the 917 was going in 3rd or 4th gear ..the gt3 was in full throttle at top gear..and passed that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif letting all there disappointed.
I have the idea a modern car..(as those F*** Porsches)are probably fast as 1970 prototypes, even more if the driver is a GOOD one.
Also never forget that a well prepared car is incredibly faster than the same one..done by a smaller cheaper team(Prodrive 550 maranellos, and even more new Aston, are FASTER than official ferrari 575 and Mc12..)

Hope I will never seen again a 917 passed that way by a gt3rs.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
paul

Sandy thanks for the heads up on the Willow weekend. It's my b-day (or almost) weekend so maybe a quick trip is just the treat I deserve. The GT only has 250 on it so that might be a good way to work on the break in.
Talk to ya soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

As a follow-up to my previous post, I can confirm the identity of the GT40 which raced at the Top Gear test track against a Noble M400. The car was Ray Bellm’s blue GT40, which recently won the 2005 Tour Britannia Competition:

http://www.tourbritannia.com/
http://www.tourbritannia.com/ProductsList.aspx?catid=47

My understanding is that this car is pretty fast, so to be on par with the Noble gives you an idea of the degree of difficulty in beating a GT3RS on a race course. It would certainly be nice to have those Top Gear lap times /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

GT3Rs: 1:22.3s
GT40: ???

Cheers,
Rob

The current issue of Automobile Magazine has the new Z06 corvette vs the Ford GT. The new corvette ate the gt at 1/3 the price. I have run with the old Z06 on the track and they were no match for my ERA GT with bad drivers on each cars. But the new has 100HP and better in everything. I rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy

This is an interesting question to me, because I have been toying with similar ideas: GT40, F355 berlinetta, 996 911 Turbo (OK, so not really the GT3). If you look around, all three can actually be had for similar money. The Porsche is definitely the most advanced, with AWD and stability control. It is also easier to drive fast (good for a novice like me). The Ferrari has a mystique that is hard to explain, and is not necessarily backed by quality or reliability. The GT40 has the looks, the sound, and can be set up to do what you want it to. For me, I am interested in the driving experience more than the fastest lap time, but I do want a car I can track regularly.

I think the GT40 is the best all-around package: it looks fantastic, it sounds fantastic, it can be plenty fast. Plus, it's reliable and you can maintain it yourself. The Porsche TO ME (and I say that because they are fabulous cars) is just not as inspiring. The 355 is a car I have lusted after for years, though repairs and maintenance are serious matters. The GT40 is the best looking sports car ever made. The only problem I am having with it are the fuel tanks, which I can't get out of my head. There is something about running along with 10 gallons of gas as a side impact beam that has been giving me pause (if someone would convince me that this is not a concern, I would greatly appreciate it...)

J. Salmon,

Fuel tanks have been discussed in numerous threads - - the general consensus of opinion is;
1) they can be made as safe as you realistically get with other cars by puttig bladders in and/or "fuel safe" types of products.
2) as for collision, if you measure the height of the saddle tanks, about the only thing that would hit one would be a curb, and only if you are sliding sideways! All oter parts of vehicles you will "meet" on the road are MUCH higher that your tanks!

anyway, just my .02 worth!

cheers

John

If the driving experience is limited to just vehicle performance, the C6 Vette..especially the Z06....appears
to be a huge bargain...best value ever in terms of $$$
vs capability...PLUS low maintenance costs (compared to any
exotic).

However most GT40 fans are as much attracted by the mistique
that comes from owning/driving a replica of an extraordinarily gorgeous/successful racer
from what most see as the Golden Age of sports racers.
So in that light...more modern/sophisticated cars
may outperform the GT40...but not out mistique!

MikeD

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Racing at Sandown yesterday I was soundly beaten by 2 3600 GT3s.In my defence my car is not fully sorted and have gearing/brake issues.In my opinion you won't beat a GT3 unless you get all the weaknesses out of the 40.
Lap Times GT3 1:18.9
GT3 1:19.3
GT40 1:21.4
This is real fierce racing by the way not a rich kid playground
Ross

Ross, been looking at Natsoft, what happened in race 1? Was it a GT3 vs GT40 stouch? You both dissapeared after 1 lap.

Back