Porsches and Dating

http://psycnet.apa.org/index.cfm?fa=buy.optionToBuy&id=2010-22527-001

Peacocks, Porsches, and Thorstein Veblen: Conspicuous consumption as a sexual signaling system.

Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol 100(4), Apr 2011, 664-680.

Abstract
Conspicuous consumption is a form of economic behavior in which self-presentational concerns override desires to obtain goods at bargain prices. Showy spending may be a social signal directed at potential mates. [...]

Rice University | News & Media

(press release)

According to the researchers, women found a man who chose to purchase a flashy luxury product (such as a Porsche) more desirable than the same man who purchased a non-luxury item (such as a Honda Civic). However, there was a catch: Although women found the flashy guys more desirable for a date, the man with the Porsche was not preferred as a marriage partner. Women inferred from a man's flashy spending that he was interested in uncommitted sex.

Does that match your experiences? I've been married for nearly 10 years (so far). My wife was aware of the cars when we were dating, but they weren't an important part of the dating process.

Last edited:

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
My wife was aware of the cars when we were dating, but they weren't an important part of the dating process.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
Shoot us a twit pic Ben !!

One day in the barnyard the horse became stuck in the mud. the chicken saw this and "borrowed" the farmer's new Caymen in order to pull the horse out of the mud.

Some weeks later, the horse noticed the chicken had become stuck in the same mudhole. Suddenly the horse remembered the chicken saving his life but noticed the farmer had taken the Caymen to town.

The horse calmly walked over and stretched across the mudhole and extended his male apparatus to save his barnyard buddy.

Moral: you don't need a new Caymen to pick up chicks.

Ben,
When I started dating my wife (sometime in the eighteenth century :) ) I was very much like Pete, as skint as a church mouse. The nice cars and toys came later. My wife has never expressed any interest in any of my cars, and she has never owned any car other than a Mini!

Oh, and as a Porsche driver, I can tell you that because I'm an ugly git, it's never helped me at all :laugh:

Ben
Having celebrated our 41st wedding anniversary yesterday, I must say I have had 5 Porsche's (still have one). More importantly, I'm still with wife number 1. I think she likes me more than tolerates me.
Grady:thumbsup:

My wife has always been supportive of my genetic weakness for anything on wheels, as I've enjoyed driving high performance, classic, and vintage cars, plus semi-trailers even. After 30 years (I got married at a mature age), we are still firmly together. And while Lin doesn't want to drive my cars (she could, but fears accidentally doing some damage and upsetting me), she is happy to go on trips or occasional holidays in one. We do tend to fly more these days, rather than the long road trips I once enjoyed.

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I had actually known my wife for a a number of years before we got together so she knew about the 40. Our first 'date' entailed me picking her up from her Sister's and just going on a drive around for about an hour then dropping her off again.

She likes the car and came with me to the Le Mans Classic last year and for the 2 track sessions. She wants her own Mustang or Viper though really, or a Harley Trike.

Max

Back