power steering

I fab up this winter a power steering rack on my Superformance MKII Finally the weather changed and got a chance to drive it today. It is awesome it made the car completely different. Works great from 0 to 135 mph Hopefully i will get a chance to try it out opening weekend at Watkins Glen.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Olthoff has installed EPAS in several SPF GT40s including some that are racing SVRA. For those who want power assist that would be my starting point.

I used a Flaming River universal front steer rack. Made two brackets to bolt in stock location. had to make inner tie rods. used a borgesen steering joint to stock steering shaft.moved the horns to right side.Used a Volvo electric power steering pump with early mustang sway bar end links to mount the pump. you need one 14mm - 6an fitting and two 16-mm fittings and three 90 - 6 fittings. It was very simple and it works GREAT! i will get pictures this week.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I utilized the Prius EPAS. Very simple default mode of 12vdc + and -...period. Provided about double the torque at the wheel, and drew about 22 amps at full lock. I did have to shorten mine, but the '40 has a little more room for one. Control box is separate from the unit, which makes positioning easy. Self centers fine, and never felt like I lost any feedback to the wheel.

I fab up this winter a power steering rack on my Superformance MKII Finally the weather changed and got a chance to drive it today. It is awesome it made the car completely different. Works great from 0 to 135 mph Hopefully i will get a chance to try it out opening weekend at Watkins Glen.

Hi:

Can you describe how it made the car completely different?

Thanks!

/s/ Chris Kennedy

My cars steering was very heavy at high speeds. I do not have to try and hold my self in the seat even with the belts tight.Still have great steering feel.

Hello all, like Jim I also chose a Volvo/Ford electric power steering pump for the CLK build. I found a used one locally that luckily came with the mounting bracket and hoses. I fabbed up a small corner for the pump to live in the front suspension cradle, ahead of the passenger footbox (LHD). The hose's run to the rack was just 24 inches/60cm and required the local parts store to crimp together a pressure line using the old ends. Donor car was a Volvo v50 .

Attachments

• IMG_20210830_151228162.jpg
    IMG_20210830_151228162.jpg
    567.1 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_20210821_144342581_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210821_144342581_HDR.jpg
    544.5 KB · Views: 168

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Once I did an EPAS adaption and realized it wasn't that hard to do, and the result was very satisfying, I'll never go back to hydraulic systems.

Back