Projects from hell….

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Larry mentioned a Fluidamper. It has no viscoelastic rubber to fail.

While I've never personally exerienced a failure of a Fluidamper Balancer - I know of one Dyno shop that would not allow any Fluidamper equipped engines on their dyno. Evidently there had been at least two failures there. I changed out the Fluidamper for a TCI balancer on my GT40 engine when I dynoed it there.
Do they make a Fluidamper with integral pulley?

Neil

Supporter
While I've never personally exerienced a failure of a Fluidamper Balancer - I know of one Dyno shop that would not allow any Fluidamper equipped engines on their dyno. Evidently there had been at least two failures there. I changed out the Fluidamper for a TCI balancer on my GT40 engine when I dynoed it there.
Do they make a Fluidamper with integral pulley?
That I don't know.

I cant remember where I saw it, could have been one of the doggy cars I bought a while back.
similar story, failure of the Harmonic Balancer.

Previous owner had used a couple of dry wall screws on it to keep it all in place.

I understand the pain.

I changed the front brake pads and rotors on my 2002 Chevy suburban (bought new, now 255,000 miles) as the pads were low and the rotors looked worn. The brakes immediately squeaked on the test drive. I thought "what the %&#@%" (in French also). Changed the pads to a different set of pads. Still squeaked. Changed the rotors for a new set. Still squeaked. Pretty annoyed at this point.

A week or so later my 15yo son and I are driving down the road and my son says "hey dad, I think the squeak is from the back." Sure enough, the rear pads had picked that precise moment to hit the squeak warning/tang...the very moment I changed the front pads....to the precise moment/yard/nanosecond...leaving me wondering if I've lost all my mechanical skills...

Sometime you just have to laugh at yourself.

Back