Quad Tail Lamps Question

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
I opted for the Quad Tail Lamps when I ordered my RCR40 because I liked the look. Now, I'm trying to figure out how to properly wire them. They each have a double filament bulb. I'm assuming that the Red ones are for Tail & Brake lights. Are the Amber ones then used for Turn & Park the same as the front ones? If that's the case then are both the rear Reds AND Ambers supposed to stay on when the Headlights are turned on (also same as the front)? How would you guys do it? Wiring this thing is driving me nuts and/or to have a few ginger ales....

TIA, Rod

Attachments

• Quad Rr Lmps.jpg
    Quad Rr Lmps.jpg
    1,010.4 KB · Views: 55
I would ignore the amber light's connection to its dimmer filament. Use only the bright filament for the signal connection. Treat it as a single-filament light. Otherwise, it's just going to confuse the person behind you.

Neil

Supporter
I would ignore the amber light's connection to its dimmer filament. Use only the bright filament for the signal connection. Treat it as a single-filament light. Otherwise, it's just going to confuse the person behind you.
Can you connect both filaments in parallel?

The typical way this is set up (for instance on the Pantera with two dual filament bulbs) is:

1. Orange 1 = parking lights on only
2. Orange 2 = turn signal blinker
3. Red 1 = tail light when headlights are on
4. Red 2 = Stop light

Red 2 works when brakes are applied regardless of Red 1 being on or off. Each bulb has a common ground but fed from different signal sources. It is important to connect the "less bright" filament to the function that is on all the time and the "more bright" filament to the function that comes on in addition - for example, with parking lights on, the lesser bright filament lights the orange parking light and when you put on the blinker, the brighter filament blinks and you can see it. Otherwise, if reversed, the brighter filament will be brighter than the blinker for instance and you will never see it. You can tell the filament brightness by rigging up a feed to 12v source (your car battery) and checking which is stronger. The bulb specs will also clue you in as to the two different wattages the bulb's filaments produce. A common tail light bulb, for instance, is an 7528 which has both a 5 Watt and 21 Watt filament.

I am guessing there is no "back up" lights on this car. You never connect both filaments together as I dont see the point. I am assuming you want all 4 functions for your car and in order to pass an inspection or simply to be safe when driving it.

Hope it helps.

Neil

Supporter
"You never connect both filaments together as I dont see the point." the point is that it is preferable to connect both filaments in parallel to give you a brighter light than leave one filament disconnected as was proposed.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
A lot of people in the kitchen. Make it easy. Wire the break light switch output to your sig switch and then to left and right, the brighter filaments /
( sig and break ) The best way to go if you use an old style sig switch.
Marker / tail filaments, the dimmer ones. Omit the amber.

I have some of the Fiat 850 style lights. This same question could equally apply to those if different bulb adapters are used as it would be possible to fit dual filaments into the indicator housings as well.

Here is a photo showing the back of the 850 style housing that I have. I have got some metal filament holders that clip in.
I have a rubber o ring between the holder and the housing. I have also added a gromet to the back of the holder to protect the cables.

126580B0-713A-4505-99C4-F5769DE47013.jpeg.e2e64583c03a518bb815ee8b9ea6066e.jpeg

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
Thanks to everyone for the info. It gives me something to think about.

I like Lee's idea on this. However, to get Orange1 to be used as Parking Only, then shutting Off when the Headlights/Taillights are switched on and, also keeping the front Orange1 lit would be difficult to do with my Light Switch.

I also like Bill's approach. Very simple, but would eliminate the the rear Orange1 altogether. Not sure yet if I am willing to do that.

Bob's idea is what I'm leaning toward. Orange1 goes away. Orange2=TurnSgnl. Red1=Park&Tail. Red2=Brake. However, this means I'll have to run another wire to the back to separate the Orange2 from the Red2.

My Cobra has quad reds at the rear, but I don't remember what comes on when. It's currently in winter storage, but I'll be taking a look-see at that to see how they function. Building the Cobra was a whole lot of fun. It's reliable and an absolute blast to drive. Building the '40' has also been a lot of fun, a lot more challenging, and a true test of my overall skills. I'm hoping, when it's all done, for the same absolute blast to drive experience.

Thanks again to all you guys on the Forum who have helped and are still helping to get me this far.
Regards, Rod

The orange 1 park light does NOT shut off when headlights and tail lights are on. They are all on then.

Sure, connect both filaments together if you want Or get a brighter bulb if that is your intention. and forgo having a turn signal.

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
Hi Lee,
I haven't paid much attention to vehicles with amber lights in the rear, and it's been a long time since I've had anything to do with FMVSS requirements regarding rear lighting. No, I'm not planning on connecting any filaments together. My intent is to have running lights, parking lights, brake lights and turn signals. So what you are saying is that the Amber1 should remain lit when I turn on the headlights, thus having both Amber1 & Red1 lit up?
Rod

Yes, your "parking lights" are on in position one - Orange 1. Then when you turn on the headlights, your headlights and taillights come on and the parking lights remain on. Absolutely. When you hit the turn signal, the second filament Orange 2 flashes BRIGHTER than Orange 1. Ditto for Red 2 when you hit the brakes. The concept being your headlights, taillights, and running lights don't go out when you use one of the functions. Of course, Red 2 always works as the stop light function regardless of whether headlights are on or not.

The Pantera also has a back up "white" bulb which only is live when the backup switch is triggered by the ZF. But the geniuses in Italy wired it such that it ONLY works IF the parking lights or headlights are on. So if you are backing up in daylight hours, good luck I guess. Who knows what their thinking was.

If unsure, go look at your daily driver and see how the basic functions all play together and what is on and when.

The same is true for your front park/turn signal light in the lower pod. It has to perform both the parking light and turn signal function so ditto the concept front and rear. The front fog light is on it's own circuit if that is how you want to set it up. I would not have that come on with the headlight low/high function.

You don't want a constant amber light in the rear. To the best of my knowledge, there is no car that shows a constant amber light in the rear. Only ambers are flashing for hazards and turn signals.

Then you could modify as follows:

1. Orange 1 = Turn signal only
2. Orange 2 = unused or backup lights
3. Red 1 = tail light when BOTH / Either parking lights and/or headlights are on
4. Red 2 = Stop Brake light

Those rear lights are very small, but how much do you plan to drive this car in the dark?

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
Gosh, I certainly didn't want to start a "What's On/What's Off, Who's Right/Who's Wrong" war here.

Brian, I tend to agree with you, but wasn't sure what others thought about it.

Lee, you are correct in saying those lights are small. I have the same on my Cobra, but I rarely drive it at night. The most important thing to me is brake & turn lights. Therefore, I'm going to use your last post as my guide, except that Orange 2 (brighter) will be the turn signal & Orange 1 will be unused.

Bob Putnam actually suggested doing it this way in an earlier response.

Thanks again everyone....I'm thinking mission accomplished on this issue. I'll be back in the garage tomorrow having some more wiring fun.
Rod

I was reluctant to say it until I searched my memory for a while.

I think the confusion is from the manufacturer saving a buck and just using the same dual filament base when the amber should be just a single.

Back