Quaife 62G and 72G Transaxle

I am commencing a scratch build Mk1

Popular transaxle choices are from Porsche the : G50/01, G50/50 and G50/52 (optimal) or G50/03
and Audi, the 016. Both Porsche and Audi transaxles seem popular in the forum.
The Quaife is however, (based on their lierature) 'designed as a direct and uprated replacement for the ZF DS-25/2 Transaxle as used on GT40 and Panteras'

Based seemingly, minimal forum discussion, I am curious as to the views on the Quaife 62G (5spd) or 72G (6spd) Transaxles ?

Has anyone used the Quaife transaxles ?

I understand the Quaife 62G (top image) is about $USD12,500 (new)

Regards
Mark

1566645860911.png
1566646059035.png

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The 62G has been used in many Superformance GT40s. The early units had some issues but they have been addressed. The six speed will not fit in a original typw GT40 chassis with modifications to the rear extension and a cutout in the rear clam.

The 62G has been used in many Superformance GT40s. The early units had some issues but they have been addressed. The six speed will not fit in a original typw GT40 chassis with modifications to the rear extension and a cutout in the rear clam.

Thanks for comments Rick ... I will ask Quaife if they are prepared to publish a STEP file of their transaxles for CAD modelling ...

The Quaife is similar to the ZF RBT, Quaife is a little strongerI believe. If you use the car for track events the synchros will need to be replaced after 12 months or so. If your engine puts more than 500 BHP and 420 LB/FT torque these gearboxes will be heading for trouble. I've had 4 rebuilds so far and ready for another set of synchros. Apart from that the box is good, costly though from rebuilds.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
The Quaife is similar to the ZF RBT, Quaife is a little strongerI believe. If you use the car for track events the synchros will need to be replaced after 12 months or so. If your engine puts more than 500 BHP and 420 LB/FT torque these gearboxes will be heading for trouble. I've had 4 rebuilds so far and ready for another set of synchros. Apart from that the box is good, costly though from rebuilds.

Presuming that you’re using the appropriate lubricant in the transmission - It sounds as though your clutch may not be fully releasing. I would recommend that you do a run-out check of your bellhousing with adapter plate installed in order to insure that the input shaft of the transmission is precisely centered.
Very few are *perfect* but if it’s not within .005 or so, you will end up with drag. I have seen some that were as far off as .030 and the clutch disc would drag on the flywheel and pressure plate even when fully released.

Thanks Warren; I was of the opinion that they were somewhat stronger than you indicate '...synchros will need to be replaced after 12 months...' for a 370kW / 500hp engine.
You end up by saying '...Apart from that the box is good...' not sure what you find good if the durability is in fact what you indicate.
Maybe as Randy V suggests - you have a clutch release issue - if so, the Quaife 62G may be quite robust ?

Presuming that you’re using the appropriate lubricant in the transmission - It sounds as though your clutch may not be fully releasing. I would recommend that you do a run-out check of your bellhousing with adapter plate installed in order to insure that the input shaft of the transmission is precisely centered.
Very few are *perfect* but if it’s not within .005 or so, you will end up with drag. I have seen some that were as far off as .030 and the clutch disc would drag on the flywheel and pressure plate even when fully released.
Randy V - thanks for your comments ... I am of the opinion that your comments explain Warren's short synchro life ... the Quaife 62G is possibly quite robust for engines up to 370kW / 500hp ?

Back