Questions before jumping into a SLC

Not really any of my business, but I have a friend who's BIL ran the Texas Mile.

He recommends building a really good cage. He did and he survived.

Aero didn't work out quite like he planned....

dallas_-albums-various-cars-picture1534-texas-mile-camaro-before.jpg

dallas_-albums-various-cars-picture1535-texas-mile-camaro-after.jpg

All those you tube videos of fast, sexy cars can really rev up the adolescent in everybody, but that picture reminds you how serious the laws of physics can be at speeds over 100mph.

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
So.....You want to build a car that will go more than 234 MPH. You already have a car that has over 2000 HP?.....and you let your fiance drive it on the street.
(Congratulations on finding a woman who is such a great driver. I wish there were a lot more of them!)

Your Lambo already "does it just fine."

Cheaper shocks? ....Street tail?...Why?

Set your goals and work toward them, but please think about Reality!

Just My Opinion!

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi all
We had a guy here in Australia that wanted a 40 and drove everyone crazy in person and on this forum with all manner of questions and arguments about a 40 with at least 600HP and imaginary top speeds all for the price of a kiddie car and as he had no mechanical aptitude he was going to farm all the construction out.

In the end he gave up and just bought a muscle car and that was it thankfully.

Dimi

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Dimi
That was George correct? Anyone have a link back to his thread or the title of it, reason I ask is that I recently received some emails from a guy with similar questions and I would like to redirect him here to the forum..?

Last edited:
Ford made the new shelbys and said they could do 200 mph and they were near to it I saw on one test 196 or something. so how much does it cost to get to the 250 range? twice the cost of the car when bought? I am sure the SLC is shaped much better than the Ford mustang. Fran sells them for racing as well so I say, the guy puts his money up and does it and videos it for us to watch, I would love to see one of the SLC do 250 mph (with someone else money) too much for me. good luck and I will be watching.

I suppose it wouldn't be alot more for a stripped race car than a fully optioned street car based on money. I am sure there will be arguments against that, but if you can do your own fab, then I don't see the spread too much at all.
A set of suspension height sensors (not sure how you would hook them up or read them, but someone good with electronics could) could tell you if car was lifting or pushing down at speed, would have to average out the bumps though. Alot cheaper than full wind tunnel testing! Adjust wings as needed.
Now where to mount the shoot so you don't get lift on deployment?!

For some perspective on the "kit car" thing...the white Gallardo and SLC are mine. I love my Lambo...but it's just a going out car. The SLC sitting next to it doesn't seem like a kit car to me or anyone else that's talked to me about it. It's just a ridiculous race car...and makes my Gallardo seem like a pig...

Also...since you drive a 2000hp monster...I'm sure you've heard of the shop these cars are parked at in the pic. Titan Motorsports is my go to place...

upload a picture

If you are going to use this car for street as well as racing, are you going to have A/C?

If so be for warned that A/C has an rpm limit, the guys at Factory Five found out the hard way by having not one but two grenade on them. I sent a link to Will who added it to the SCL wiki of the rpm limits of most A/C compressors. I will add it here A/C Compressors RPM limits, to save others time.

You can prevent this in a couple of was:

1. MS3-Pro engine controller
  • a. This has an output that can turn off the compressor at an rpm set by user.
  • b. There may be other controllers, if others know of any please say so that Will can add it to the wiki
  • There are RPM-Activated Switches
  • b. There may be other switches, if others know of any please say so that Will can add it to the wiki

If you are going to use a chiller shirt for racing.

NEVER USE DRY ICE!!

As dry ice is made from Carbon Dioxide, it will sublimate (go from solid to gas) Carbon Dioxide can incapacitate the driver. Or possible kill him if he gets too much in his system.

I don’t think you want to fall a sleep at over 200 miles per hour!!

I had a friend ask me about this very thing several years ago, the guy he was asking for was a NASCAR driver. I can only hope because of me this is the practice.

If you want extra cooling with these you can add rock salt to the ice in the chest, they do this to make home made ice cream. You may want to glycol mix in the cooling tubes as this may freeze the tube and defeat the whole purpose.

Hope you find this useful!

Each of those goals will compromise the other. Personally, I wouldn't want a compromised car at 230+mph. You will also compete against cars that have been built with only one of them in mind.
You're going to need big power for the half mile, which implies big turbos. If you want more power at lower revs (which is what I assume you mean by torque), then you need smaller turbos. Porsche introduced sequential turbocharging on the 959, which could be an (expensive) option, although there isn't a huge amount of space for turbos and enough intercooling.

Probably best to use cheaper components - if you're pushing big power, they will break or wear sooner or later.

Fran may know, but I've not heard of any going quite so fast. I would expect to have to pay for aerodynamic consultancy and modifications to keep the car stable at those speeds - certainly something that the factory should be able to help with, at a price. If you want to be competitive, your budget needs to be too.

It's great to see someone pushing the envelope. Good luck!

Most of the cars that do TI also do the half mile events. It's pretty much the same crowd at the top at both events (AMS GTR and TT Lambos). Guess I'm spoiled with lambo because it does all three things very well. I basically want a lighter version lol. I'm fine with big turbos, currently running 2 T78s. Brake boosting fixes the down low power problem. Your next statement hits the nail on the head! Definitely the reason I'm considering the V8. The motor in the lambo itself is 20-30k (stock). Really wanting a Nelson Racing TT race gas series motor. Thanks for the advice.

Not really any of my business, but I have a friend who's BIL ran the Texas Mile.

He recommends building a really good cage. He did and he survived.

Aero didn't work out quite like he plan...

Wow! Glad he's ok. Car will definitely be caged.

So.....You want to build a car that will go more than 234 MPH. You already have a car that has over 2000 HP?.....and you let your fiance drive it on the street.
(Congratulations on finding a woman who is such a great driver. I wish there were a lot more of them!)

Your Lambo already "does it just fine."

Cheaper shocks? ....Street tail?...Why?

Set your goals and work toward them, but please think about Reality!

Just My Opinion!

That's more speaking to the drivability of high hp lambos than her driving lol. Many people I've taken for rides are surprised by how much it feels like a normal street car until you put your foot down. I don't need the SLC to be that streetable but I'd like it to be able to drive short distances around town in it. As to the rest of your comment not sure what you're getting at. Again the shocks question was more regarding how good are the ones on the car normally.

I suppose it wouldn't be alot more for a stripped race car than a fully optioned street car based on money. I am sure there will be arguments against that, but if you can do your own fab, then I don't see the spread too much at all.
A set of suspension height sensors (not sure how you would hook them up or read them, but someone good with electronics could) could tell you if car was lifting or pushing down at speed, would have to average out the bumps though. Alot cheaper than full wind tunnel testing! Adjust wings as needed.
Now where to mount the shoot so you don't get lift on deployment?!

Great idea!! Thank you

Yos, thank you for the comparison. Helps since I'm coming from a lambo to a SLC. Which do you have more room in?

Eric, the car will need A/C here in Oklahoma. Would not turning off the AC prior to a high speed run not prevent this from happening?

Eric, the car will need A/C here in Oklahoma. Would not turning off the AC prior to a high speed run not prevent this from happening?

People have tendency to forget and/or some times when wiring not correct. And pieces of A/C pump on track are not a good thing.

As I said Factory Five did two of them and the RPM switch is cheap insurance. I think the Holley Dominator EFI may be able to shut off the A/C you would have to talk to them to see if that may be true. This is the expensive route, but if you are using it any way.

I also understand that a few people who don't install any heat in there SCL's

I live in Wisconsin I have seen 100+ deg says and I remember installing a starter in the driveway in snow and -20 deg, we had to use a small charcoal grill to keep the LP working for the house. LP stop evaporating at -20 deg. Sorry got a little of subject!

Brain:

Just remember to find out what the rpm limit on the A/C compressor that you will use and set about 2-300 rpm lower for safety, a missed shift and all.

Back