RBT difficult shifting into reverse

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Mine can also be difficult. I don't force it and with gentle pressure applied to the shifter, I slowly let the clutch out and it almost always goes right in. Don't push hard and let the clutch out slow. No grind just drops right in.

Butter! Mine shifts like butter now. It's all in the finite adjustments both in the cables, linkage at the far end cable attachments, and also in the shifter box linkage where I found the main cross bolt had backed out a bit. It took about 3 hours of dinken around to get the right combination. (right had drive -- right hand shifter)

Check the rear cables first. Get the trans into reverse. Go to the rear and see if either cable is at the end of its travel (especially the left-right one). If not sure unbolt it and see if there is extra travel that way. If inadequate travel adjust the threaded cable end. If the rear is OK you'll have to take the front shifter cover off. Check travel to the left at those cable ends and adjust as necessary.

Not sure if this applies to the RBT mentioned, but I had issues with some gears and found that the selector of the gearbox (Renault) was fouling the exhaust silencer on that side. I had cable shift and the fouling was preventing 2nd and 4th as well as reverse.
Once I had moved the silencers a fraction and done some fine adjustment my selectors were smoother than they had ever been. Picture of gearbox end of cables attached.

Attachments

• DSCF0745.jpg
    DSCF0745.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 282
Thanks for all the help. After a closer look, we found that one of the shifter cables had been routed close to the exhaust manifold and had melted. Changed the cable and everything is fine

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
My RBT is difficult to get into reverse, even after going through the gears first. Any suggestions

What does 'going through the gears' mean? Is there a sequence that needs to be followed?

Mine can also be difficult. I don't force it and with gentle pressure applied to the shifter, I slowly let the clutch out and it almost always goes right in. Don't push hard and let the clutch out slow. No grind just drops right in.

Mike, does 2161 have a solid shift linkage or cable?

Back