RBT stuck in reverse!

Bob

Thanks for the photo. This allowed me to make a plate that (I THINK) is very close to the aspect ratio, font and kerning in the photo. I made this one with white letters on black but nearly any color combo can be made. Does anyone know where these were mounted?

Attachments

• DSCN0007.jpg
    DSCN0007.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 511
  • DSCN0010.jpg
    DSCN0010.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 481

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
This is pretty scary and does not build confidence!

Yesterday I backed my car out of the garage so I could wash the garage floor. Nothing unusual happened, it shifted into reverse as it always does ( I have one of Ian Clarks shift kits in it that makes shifting a pleasure).

When I got done cleaning the floor I got in the car and put it into first - when I let the clutch out it exhibited the same problem that Jeff encountered. There was NO indication this was about to happen.

I am really, really glad it happened in my driveway and not while travelling. With a date.

Thanks to Jac Mac for pointing me in the direction of this thread.

mine also does this, I can get it out of reverse with a little shifting around, however Olthoff says it is a detent spring or something like that. It is now being repaired at ZBT

Please fax any questions about the RBT box you may have to RBT (714)630-2453 i Will try to answer all your faxes ASAP or call M-F 9:00 to 11:30 am for tech (714)630-2450

Hey. ive experienced this problem before with a customers car, this happened once and it was a pain in the ass as we couldnt get the backplate off without removing the rear tail cage. So what we did was drill and tap a hole for a bolt concentrically to the rod so we could simply remove the bolt and push the rod back into position if it ever happened again. Maybe this is something you guys could try it if its a reacurring problem! You could also fit a hard spring, as i think has already been suggested, to help push it back into place once you have moved it out of reverse.

This is the best picture i can find, but you can see the black casing at the end of the gbox, this bolt was drilled n tapped in the same direction as the arrow, concentrically over the idler shaft, once the bolt was removed you simply inserted a punch or a small rod in the hole and pushed the idler shaft back into place and then reinserted the bolt.
This is a good quick fix.

Attachments

• rbt6besta.jpg
    rbt6besta.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 327

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
I apologize for not posting this earlier but a GT40s member, Oliver Ring (from Texas) sent me a PM simply stating that he had read my post and that if I wanted to call him, he could help me.

Mommy didn't raise a dummy - I called him immediately.

He gave me the solution and it was breathtakingly simple.

1. Drain the trans oil

2. Look into the drain hole, you will see a rod welded to a flat plate

3. Push the flat plate to the rear of the car - it will move about 6-8 mm

4. Replace drain plug.

5. Fill with oil.

6. Drive car.

Thanks Oliver!

I apologize for not posting this earlier but a GT40s member, Oliver Ring (from Texas) sent me a PM simply stating that he had read my post and that if I wanted to call him, he could help me.

That Oliver is undoubtedly Lloyd Butfoy's business partner, and the one physically constructing the new RBT gearboxes.

Great to see Lloyd and Oliver are now on this forum to help customers out! :thumbsup:

Back