RCR Australia Factory Photos and Update

We've had quite a few people on this forum contacting us of late to check how things are going in Australia. The support we have here is very much appreciated.

Unfortunately I haven't had much time to post updates, I've worked the past few months now without a single day off. The past year with only a handful of days away from the factory. But I am having an absolute ball and the business just keep moving along and growing. The working hours actually worked out great for an interstate customer that came up to start the assembly of his SL-C in our factory. Meant that he was able to work every day on the SL-C while he was up here for the past 4 weeks.

Our focus on registration compliance has been paying off as we have owners quickly and simply obtaining full street registration for their completed cars. We have both SL-C & RCR-40 owners here now with finished and street registered cars. We will also have SL-R owners here soon with street registered cars as well. The SL-R's would have been registered earlier, but a majority of SL-R owners here have selected to build dedicated track cars instead.

Attached are photos of our main assembly workshop. This is approximately 50% of our available work area, the other areas are made up of a fibreglass shop, fabrication & storage areas.

In the photos you can see:

* 4 x RCR-40 kits in various assembly stages being made ready for delivery to the customers.

* 1 x SL-C kit that is a complete and driving car as built by the owner. Now that the owner has left we will fit and hinge the body as do for all Comprehensive SL-C kits and ship the vehicle to his home.

* 1 x Yellow SL-R Turnkey Track Car. It just requiries some finishing touches and will be ready for track testing in the next few weeks.

* 1 x Black SL-C which is our test/prototyping mule.

* 1 x Custom Project on the hoist. One of the custom projects we have in the shop at the moment. We usually keep these out of the main RCR assembly shop. Sorry we can't publicly post photos of it.

* Our small parts storage area is located on top of the office. You can see the blue racking.

It's ironic that we usually have more SL-C kits in the factory, we certainly have a few more coming up for delivery soon.

We currently have 4 x full time staff and 3 x part time staff.

Will post some more information soon.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• DSC_2033 [1600x1200].jpg
    DSC_2033 [1600x1200].jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 785
  • DSC_2042 [1600x1200].jpg
    DSC_2042 [1600x1200].jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 718
  • DSC_2043 [1600x1200].jpg
    DSC_2043 [1600x1200].jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 710
Last edited:
Looking good, Craig!

You have quite an operation there-- it must be one of the larger kit car companies in Australia. It's great to hear you are doing well at the same time other companies are struggling- it is a testament to your team, and to the quality of the RCR products.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Nice update!

Pictures did not turn out on my PC - has blue squares in it. Might be this Apple software so I'll look again from my wife's computer tonight..

Randy I see those as well but if you look closely I beleive they are disguising something on the lift

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Randy I see those as well but if you look closely I beleive they are disguising something on the lift

DOH! :embarassed:

Thanks... Sorry `bout that...

You fellas have a very tidy shop there for having so much work underway... :thumbsup:

The best part of your post is that all the cars are fully ADR and also street registered...

I know that you and the guys have worked very hard to meet the current "moving target" known as compliance.

Well done....

The best part of your post is that all the cars are fully ADR and also street registered...

I know that you and the guys have worked very hard to meet the current "moving target" known as compliance.

Well done....

The Australian Design Rules (ADRs) are national standards for vehicle safety, anti-theft and emissions. The ADRs are generally performance based and cover issues such as occupant protection, structures, lighting, noise, engine exhaust emissions, braking and a range of miscellaneous items.

Australian Design Rules

And I thought Kalifornia was bad.

Paul,
correct and they vary by State also ...and from what I have read NSW has a higher chassis test requirement than elsewhere in Australia, and more stringent rules on many other items too...
I am sure Craig is well versed on regs for all the States by now..

Thank for the kind comments.

Yes, sorry I had to cover up the project on the hoist for now due to the owners wishes.

Correct, the ADR's are the federal regulations. But each state controls the registration process for kit cars here, which are clased as Individually Constructed Vehicles(ICV's). So the actually street registration process and requirements vary in each state here. Just like they do over in the USA. Some states have very simple requirements(WA, NT, TAS), other states are more complex(QLD, VIC, SA). The requirements for registration have become more uniform in recent years and more standardised. But NSW is going through a state of change at the moment and are the odd state out that doesn't want to toe the same line as the other eastern states. So we are working with owners and will perform the required compliance work once all the requirements have been ratified. NSW is looking for higher steering column requirements for ICV's, which most current production cars do not meet and physical testing for seat belt mounts, seat mounts and also a different way of testing the brake systems. We have certified calculations for mounts, but it looks like physical testing may be required.

It's interesting that NSW has lower standards in other areas compared to states like QLD. QLD has mandatory fibreglass body testing, bump steer testing, polycarb certification, extensive requirements for wheels, but sensibly accepts calculations for mounts.

QLD had the highest vehicle torsion requirements of any states, but most states have now moved to the same figures as QLD. 6000Nm/degree. NSW included. The test is not an actual chassis torsional test as it is performed through the suspension, so the figures cannot be compared to chassis tests unfortunately. We far exceed these requirements, by multiples actually.

I could talk all day about registration requirements. We actually assist owners with registration applications where posssible.

The Australian Design Rules (ADRs) are national standards for making your life really hard. The ADRs are generally voodoo based and cover issues such as wasting your time, removing your money, running you round in circles, sucking up to vehicle examiners, banging your head against a wall and a range of miscellaneous items we'll just make up if you happen to pass the rest.

Australian Design Rules

And I thought Kalifornia was bad.

Corrected.

Craig has scored a real coup with the first Electric SL-C into Australia....

I will let him fill you all in but its a very high profile EV company that wants to showcase its technology and do it with a great performance car platform.

Thank for the kind comments.

Yes, sorry I had to cover up the project on the hoist for now due to the owners wishes.

Correct, the ADR's are the federal regulations. But each state controls the registration process for kit cars here, which are clased as Individually Constructed Vehicles(ICV's). So the actually street registration process and requirements vary in each state here. Just like they do over in the USA. Some states have very simple requirements(WA, NT, TAS), other states are more complex(QLD, VIC, SA). The requirements for registration have become more uniform in recent years and more standardised. But NSW is going through a state of change at the moment and are the odd state out that doesn't want to toe the same line as the other eastern states. So we are working with owners and will perform the required compliance work once all the requirements have been ratified. NSW is looking for higher steering column requirements for ICV's, which most current production cars do not meet and physical testing for seat belt mounts, seat mounts and also a different way of testing the brake systems. We have certified calculations for mounts, but it looks like physical testing may be required.

It's interesting that NSW has lower standards in other areas compared to states like QLD. QLD has mandatory fibreglass body testing, bump steer testing, polycarb certification, extensive requirements for wheels, but sensibly accepts calculations for mounts.

QLD had the highest vehicle torsion requirements of any states, but most states have now moved to the same figures as QLD. 6000Nm/degree. NSW included. The test is not an actual chassis torsional test as it is performed through the suspension, so the figures cannot be compared to chassis tests unfortunately. We far exceed these requirements, by multiples actually.

I could talk all day about registration requirements. We actually assist owners with registration applications where posssible.

Wow, that's pretty complex - that makes me appreciate being able to register something like a bed-frame w/ wheels and a big block even more over here! :drunk:

Back