Rcr P4 Coupe

gt40fran said:
We are using a Ferrari 365 engine with a ZF in a build after New Year...

That will be really nice to see come together. That will give you the configuration and carbs to be as close as possible. Lots of pictures (or drag your feet so it is still around in March!)

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
Well, you certainly might be able to shoehorn a flat 12 into the chassis but I think those building this particular P4 are trying to keep it as original (V12) in configuration as possible. To get an original look the V12 is correct. I suppose you could place original looking induction and exhaust on a flat 12 with some work but certainly the stock Testarossa induction and engine management (Bosch and Marelli) wouldn't look right nor would the exhaust headers.

No doubt the testarossa engine would make the car scoot however!

good point cliff i forgot that the v-12 was more peroid correct then a flat 12 but the sound of a flat 12 reving to 8 grand would be sweet to hear

buckygoldstien99 said:
im new to the forum and saw this and wanted to ask how come the ferrari flat 12 like one from a ferrarri testarossa cannot fit into the rcr p4 chassis? in this link it looks like the guy stuffed a flat 12 into a p4 and looks really good. [SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

atspeedimages.com Photos: http://www.atspeedimages.com/pebble_2004/pebble_beach_concours/1967_ferrari_330_p4_drogo_spyder

I don't think that is a kit. I think that looks like an original P4 to me, though I am no authority (however I know there is one lurking around on the forum :) ) I believe the original engines are all V12's with variations depending on the original application (P3, P4, 412P, factory race cars, customer cars). I will say this, that is absolutely the sweetest engine bay I have ever seen, anywhere!

salmjo1 said:
I don't think that is a kit. I think that looks like an original P4 to me, though I am no authority (however I know there is one lurking around on the forum :) ) I believe the original engines are all V12's with variations depending on the original application (P3, P4, 412P, factory race cars, customer cars). I will say this, that is absolutely the sweetest engine bay I have ever seen, anywhere!
it does look like an origional to me i cannot find anymore info at this time on this car. its awsome how the spare tire fits in the back and the way the intake seals aganst the body its great work.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
I know little about them as well (and damn they are sexy!), but it did say this at the bottom of the page:

"NOTE: This example belongs to Lawrence Stroll and is considered to be the gold standard for Ferrari 330 P3s and P4s, even though it originally started life out as a coupe."

Also if you look closely in a picture or two you can read the plaque in front of the car which states it's the Pebble Beach Concours and does indicate the manufacturer as Ferrari.

Great pics of a beauty car!

CK

marc

Lifetime Supporter
Being totally nuts over the P4 I lurk the ferrarchat website. Another car at the show, own by Jim Glickenhaus, a P4 was re-built, restored, (big debate as to if the car qualifies as being a original P4 by Ferrari purists). This guy who just had an enzo redone to look like a modern P4 (4 million bucks plus car). Anyway he got the parts from a well known P4 racer David Piper. There is a long bit about it on some of the BBs of ferraris. Bottom Line: Its the sweetest looking car on the planet. I just don't have the money to have a garage on Fifth Ave NY and do what he does with the original cars. I know he has a Lola, a Ford J6 (debate as to which car is the winner of the Le Mans, his or the one in the Ford Museum)and one of the first ferraris an 002C. He has others but I just get more depressed trying to scrape together for one and that would be replica (no offense guys I like to build em too)

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Marc,

Jim is a fairly regular poster here and has an extensive build up of P4 in the Race Car section as well as photos of J6, P4/5, and some other interesting cars on the site. His login name is MK -IV J6.

marc

Lifetime Supporter
Kinda figured so. well put me down for dumb newbie on this issue. Don't tell Fran, but I put my family on notice that I'm ordering the P4 by the 4th of July . Period. Im leaning towards the deluxe kit. Would be nice to find a ball park of the additional parts that it takes to build one (engine and transaxle to be determined). I have been reading about kit cars for 25 years, help some others on their projects over the years. But I am not waiting for a lotto ticket any more.

Marc.

marc.madmax said:
Kinda figured so. well put me down for dumb newbie on this issue. Don't tell Fran, but I put my family on notice that I'm ordering the P4 by the 4th of July . Period. Im leaning towards the deluxe kit. Would be nice to find a ball park of the additional parts that it takes to build one (engine and transaxle to be determined). I have been reading about kit cars for 25 years, help some others on their projects over the years. But I am not waiting for a lotto ticket any more.

Marc.

Marc, I dont like your chances of keeping Fran in the Dark on this " RCR Forum ". You might get a couple of days grace at best if he celebrates TOO much on New Years Eve. Sounds like you will have a double reason to remember July 4th this year! Nice choice.

Jac Mac

J. Salmon:

I noticed on the rear of the P4 (original) the words Provo and several #'s.
What are the purpose and definition of these words?

Jac Mac:

Good luck on your upcoming project! We'll be interested in your progress!

Thanks!

Mark

OhioMark said:
J. Salmon:

Jac Mac:

Good luck on your upcoming project! We'll be interested in your progress!

Thanks!

Mark

So will I ?*? *

Jac Mac

OhioMark said:
J. Salmon:

Thanks!

Mark
Its the Italian road registration; the Prova prefix designating a prototype/trade plate. Mo stands for Modena the town where registered to=torino, ro= roma, mi= milano etc

Back