RCR - What do I need to anticipate for budgeting?

I'm in the planning stages for the purchase of a GT40 MK1. I know the RCR package is complete minus "drivetrain". So I need the engine and all accessories for it, the gear box, axle shafts..... and? I have reviewed quite a few builds and I have noticed that each one adds there personal touches which I think is great. What other big ticket items do I need to consider as I start a budget (that I know I will eventually blow!)? What type of things did you not realize you needed and were a surprise mid stream?

One last thing. What did you regret not doing during your build that you wished you would have done?

Thanks for your help!
Jim

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Jim,
there are no BIG ticket items but the small ticket ones do add up...fuel pumps, braided lines, clutch , flywheel, etc etc ...all reasonably trivial in the big picture but they can surprise you once added up....so dont ever add them up...its easier...and better for your sanity.

I hope the guys chime in and give you their feedback on their RCR40 builds and the things they wish they had done...

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Very different cars...the RCR917 is purely a racer..no AC and no carpets...very minimalistic...just like the real thing...

for the RCR97... engine, trans, clutch, flywheel, starter, fuel pumps lines , tires, brake pads and seat belts and a couple of switches.....add paint if you want but not necessary for a track car....

So would $100,000 be about right for having a nicely painted 917? A little more, little less?

Now, back to the original post regarding an RCR40 budget

Wau Fran, I am really surprised .....you allow your customers to place carpet in your cars and hide the chassis :) ?

TsTsTs....

Very different cars...the RCR917 is purely a racer..no AC and no carpets...very minimalistic...just like the real thing...

for the RCR97... engine, trans, clutch, flywheel, starter, fuel pumps lines , tires, brake pads and seat belts and a couple of switches.....add paint if you want but not necessary for a track car....

I keep some very good records and have found that the "standard" SL-C build, less engine/gearbox/paint may be done for as little as $2000.00 if self-built in, addition to the initial cost of the "Deluxe" package. This is mainly for some additional fasteners, adhesives and some trim materials, etc. I do not include tires and paint as these are very much individual choices. Bottom line is that an SL-C build is straightforward. It does seem that many (most) builders find ways to spend more on personal choices and modifications "just because" they can, myself included! So you can safely figure that the deluxe kit, options and tires, engine (with electronics) /gearbox choice, and add around 3K to that total and you can have a "standard" SL-C ready to go. It is already a "jewel" and I'll guarantee that you won't see another one in your immediate neighborhood! At least not yet.

I agree with Jack on the SLC. It is a very complete kit. A couple thousand plus tires and drive train. The GT40 is a little different. I think the body work will cost you more on any GT40 just because it's more complicated. That would be your call. It depends on how you finish it out. As Fran said, the little stuff adds up. It seems like every $500 box from Summit gets smaller and smaller. The cost goes up as you ad your personal touches. For example, you don't have to have sound dampening in the car but most people do. You don't needed braided stainless lines but most people do. You don't need engine oil and transmission coolers but some do. It goes on and on depending on what you want the car to become.

If you buy the deluxe kit it is pretty complete. You will need hardware so plan a bulk buy from a steel supply company or McMaster-Carr. I think you could spend $5000 to $6000 plus the kit, drive train and paint. That would get you a pretty good build. The RCR fiberglass work is really good and they are not all the same. That could save you a lot when it comes to body work.

Thanks for the input. So do you guys think for $60,000 + paint/body work I can get a nice build? I will build my own engine that will yield 400 HP and back it up with a rebuilt G50 gear box. I have also looked at what the cars sell for so I want to be somewhat conscious of the money in and money out. For every car I have owned/ built I always say I will keep it for a long time. It never happens with me. I have always enjoyed the building process so I keep looking for the "next project". Maybe this one will slow me down a bit!

Jim, your plan can be accomplished. The result will be a nicely done SL-C for about 60K. The fiberglass gelcoat finish is good enough to simply remove molding seams and polish if you wish to put off painting for a bit too.

Jack, I think he is looking at the GT40.

Your price range is very doable. You will have a real nice build. Just right a check and start a build thread!

Jack, I think he is looking at the GT40.

Your price range is very doable. You will have a real nice build. Just right a check and start a build thread!

Writing the check is the hardest part :). That and moving cars out of my garage! I can't stop looking at these cars! You are correct, I'm looking at the GT40. For paint, I have an exceptional painter that is very fair on price. He's painted several cars for me so I know his quality. That is probably the most reassuring part. Finding a painter and taking a chance use to be such a nerve racking experience.

Back