Rear Bonnet Opens While Driving

Hood pins seem the easiest way to go. Many have used them
with great success. Others have used latches with cable
releases routed to the interior.

Ian

Hi Bill, this has been talked about on the forum before.One chap in Ireland lost the whole rear clip and went out of control. Think it was a GTD ? Hersh also lost his once , I think he forgot to latch it, and it bent the hinges, and ground the paint a bit. Nothing like the one from your post. Many people add extra fastening devices on the top l/h and r/h corners of the rear clip, just aft of the spider. Do a search and you should be able to find it.

Oh man, What a DRAG !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

This has also happened locally up here with a DRB GT40. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Happened at speed, clip wasn't fastened down properly. From memory the rear clip was completely ripped off the vehicle. The vehicle didn't lose control, so no other damage thankfully.

I've already purchased DRB factory safety pin that slides from cockpit through firewall to lock clip down. Good insurance fitting this sort of thing. After hearing that story, I was very careful to doube check the rear clip latches were correctly fastened everytime I got in the GT. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yes, mine came up while I was passing a Lister in the stright at R&G. I was at 110 when it opened up like a parachute...and I mean it works like a parachute.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif My chest was sucked up so tight against those harnesses I thought I was having a heart attack. When I looked into the rear view mirror I couldn't figur out what the shiney stuff was on my rear. It turned out to be my heat shield.
I learned that after that I KNOW I won't forget to latch it again. Too scary..
The damage was really minimal. It sprang the hinges which we straightened and it scrapped the rear spoiler which I covered with silver duct tape. Most couldn't tell it was damaged.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bill, search the posts for this topic from before - I've made up an extra one of the "DRB" style pins for mine (thought I'd need/want two - but that's to anal even for me) - if you like this style, let me know and I'll send it to you.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Dave, let me re-define "anal" - I have installed pins along the style of the DRB ones, added strengthening brackets - and I still run tape over the side latches just in case !!

BTW - another argument for the pins - a mate here in Sydney had some moron back into the rear of his DRB recently (fairly heavy hit). He has the pins on each side, & said that if it were not for them, the rear clip would have spread out & ridden up & around the spider & doors. As it was, the pins deformed quite a bit, but stopped the clip going up & over - the repairs are confined to a replacement clip, latches, etc, rather than all this plus new doors & spider !

Food for thought !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Ummmm... that suspension is toast. He didn't lose control because of the bodywork - the upper shock mount broke. That probably pushed the bodywork up. Look at the suspension arms and the axle. also look at where the shock is mounted - IT'S NOT!

That's what I see anyway.

Chris he lost control because of the body work coming up and catching a huge amount of air. The post says he then left the road (control loss) thats when the suspension damage would have occured. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

IMHO, it makes no differance if the clip went first and the off broke the suspension or the suspension broke driving the clip up. Each and every one of us driving or building a 40 regargless of the manufacture should have a secondary and positive method of locking the rear clip other than just the catches.

Peter

Howard Jones

Supporter
Here's mine

Attachments

• 62826-HPIM0115.jpg
    62826-HPIM0115.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 292

Howard Jones

Supporter
I made the bracket myself used some standard hardware. The brackets are attached to the roll over hoop with 2, 1/4" bolts into bungs in the square tubing. I have not forgotten to latch them yet. I have sort of aquired a habbit of looking for them as I get into the car. I also always try to put the pins into the shaft when the back is opened up. That way you can't close the cover without removing the pins.

Pretty simple and easy to do. These will keep the bonnet on.

This is a very strong way to insure the rear deck will not come off. IF you remember to put the pins in it I cannot see how it would come off even in a heavy shunt.

Attachments

• 62829-HPIM0112.jpg
    62829-HPIM0112.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 274
I talked to the owner yesterday. He was exiting the expressway when the clip came up. He slid sideways into a 10" high curbing.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

These are the hold downs on a friend's MK-V car . The ring stays with them when latched and it all stays nice and "stowed" looking to me , latched or unlatched. Not for the person that wants something in his way or on the seat though. Does anyone know where they are available from ? I havnt talked to him yet about them, if he knows where you can aquire them.

Attachments

• 62841-DSC00009a.jpg
    62841-DSC00009a.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 302
Several people in the UK have been using Aero Catches. Not original equipment I know but they are secure.

Attachments

• 62851-PSTAEROCATCH.jpg
    62851-PSTAEROCATCH.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 289
Back