rear view Camera

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
http://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/nextbase-rear-view-mirror-dash-cam?cm_mmc=E-Mail-_-WK48-_-Payday-_-TechActive&cm_em=881F7BCD-BE82-4857-A053-0FA3BDB61256&_$ja=tsid:71018%7Ccgn:February2017_2018%7Ckw:WK48PaydayTechActive

I saw this today and thought it may add to the discussion

Ian

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Pete, that looks like a good option for a monitor.
What camera are you using?

I’ve got a backup camera (short range), and a rear view camera (long range). The monitor automatically switches from the long range to the short range when you put the transmission in reverse. I’ll have to do a little digging to find the models of my cameras.

Hi Dave,
I tried that camera last year it didn't work very well there was more then a second of delay a lot can happen in a second, I sent mine back.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
I’ve got a backup camera (short range), and a rear view camera (long range). The monitor automatically switches from the long range to the short range when you put the transmission in reverse. I’ll have to do a little digging to find the models of my cameras.

Finally got around to digging up my camera info:

Long range cam: 35mm Lens Long Distance 650TVL Effio-E DSP SONY CCD Mini Camera MIC. I can't find anywhere on the interwebs that sell this camera anymore. :huh:

Short Range cam: Amazon.com: shark shk5199 REAR VIEW BACK UP CAMERA NIGHT VISION WATERPROOF FOR CARS: Cell Phones & Accessories

Last edited:
Hello all, one of your members Ian sent me a link to this thread.

I might be able to solve some of your blindspot and back-up camera issues.

It's quite an elaborate approach, and will alter the theme of your interior.
If there's enough interest I'd be happy to give it a shot.

Here's a link to my thread:

LCD Gauges Product Info & Promo!

Hi Tino could convert a RCA rear view camera to USB ?
Cheers,
Grant

Hi Grant,

I'll have to check into the details. I'm sure there is a converter that will
work, whether it be hardware and/or software.

What model is your rear view camera? I will have a look at the specs.

Thanks.

Hi Tino, I have the Parrot asteroid tablet mounted into the dash it will do everything music, GPS, blue tooth, WiFi. A USB camera will plug right in and work but I cant find a rear view camera that is USB, they are all RCA. The only thing that I could find that works so far are the webcams but they are big and bulky. I was going to un-solder the camera from the circuit board and run it remotely by a cat 6 wire but it would be nice to find something that was dedicated.
Cheers,

Grant,

You can try a PAL or NTSC to USB converter such as this:

http://procision-auto.com/ProAuto/promo/PALtoUSB.png

PALtoUSB.png

The rear view camera is either a PAL or NTSC video signal, so be sure to get the proper
converter.

These can be found on eBay, Amazon, etc. for about $30.

I'll do some testing on my car and try to integrate a solution for my LCD system.
Many people are looking for rearview and backup video solutions, so this will be
my next project to tackle!

Last edited:
Tino yes I have seen those converters I might go there yet. If you get that system all worked out you will have yourself something a lot of builders will want. Myself and I believe Yos gave a guy some money a few years back who was developing this exact system you are working on now but he didn't seem very compelled to finish it after he received our deposits. If my car wasn't done I would be sending you a order for one. I have the digidash and its an ass pain to have to toggle though the different screens to see whats going on with the car be nice to have a full display.
Thanks for you help.
Cheers,

You might look in the RC Forums to see what they are using on their drones etc. I been using the Runcam for several years now and it is hacked into a stand alone monitor(4 cameras at one time or one main or two at a time).I also hooked a Sony 1080P board camera(a computer chip with a lens on it). Most of these cameras have multiple screens so you can do anything you want with the camera including reversing the camera to act as a rear view camera. Some of the monitor have their own cameras, but you can hack them to run whatever camera you have if it has a cable. Their wiring is simple(3) and there are how to's out there that will show you how to access a USB. Need good soldering skills in order to short out one of the leads. Their systems are real simple and outpacing the GoPros. Prices run well under $100. Try Hobby King Radio Control Planes, Drones, Cars, FPV, Quadcopters and more - Hobbyking or Bangood
Digital Cameras, To Remember A Good Moment
You also can try YouTube for videos on how they set them up.
Google action cams and the like

Bill

Back