Recommendations on shop crane

I'm planning to take my ls7 off the frame, work on the front end (water pump, dress kit etc) over the next couple of weeks and reinstall with transaxle (once it arrives). Need to buy a shop crane/cherry picker and was looking for recommendations. Is the 1 ton HF

1 Ton Capacity Foldable Shop Crane

that goes on sale at $99 adequate (will it reach ok?) with a load leveler? Or should I step up to a 2 ton unit to get better reach.

Any advice is appreciated...

Stephen H.

I use this one frequently, with a load leveller. It will handle the Ls+trans okay.
pull/install from the side of the SL-C. The 2 ton is better though.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I have one available to me just like that and it works fine. If I had my choice however I would like a nice high ceiling and a good chain fall. Put the car on dollies and use both to move things around as necessary. This is my plan for my new shop in Texas.

I have the HF 2 ton unit. Bought it right after I purchased my GT 40. I have used it to pick up anything and everything heavy in the shop. It has held up my complete engine and 930 transaxel for easy installs(and removals). I do all the work myself so there isn't anyone to help. The reach of the 2T unit is very handy. I remove the rear clip with it because it will extend to the center line of the clip(for side approach) and the lateral center line from the rear(right at the rear base of the engine tray surround for rear approach. I use cotton hold down straps, or stretch hold downs and link them together for balancing the rear clip when I want to remove it. One goes in the air inlets(I also use the Aerocatch opening when not on the car) and the second goes in through the rear air vents of the wheel wells. These are the two strongest points in the clip and you don't have to worry about flexing any of the side panels. Before I added the Gulf Flares I would loop the strap(s) under the wheel wells. This over the 10 years it took to build finally caused the edges to crack due to all the pressure. When I added the Gulf's I added the vents and they have come in very handy. Especially after my near total destruction of the rear clip from an unlatched rear clip and a gust of wind http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech-exterior-interior-ac-trim/42492-rookie-mistake-concequences.html. There are some good pics of the crane in action with the rear clip in the link.

Bill

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I would recommend the 2 ton as well, it has a wider width between the front legs/casters and great stability I find, especially ally when you have a engine/transaxle suspended and need to roll it back from the car.

Julian

If you look carefully at the pictures, most of the 2-ton models are exactly the same as the harbor freight one. So buy from who ever is most convient or cheapest. My harbor freight model works great but the cylinder has had a little fluid seep since day one. Rather than replace the seals I bought another cylinder, since they are a standard size. It has also has had a really, really slow leak from day one:). I like mine and use it all the time, but I have to keep a pan under mine when stored...

Mine is just the opposite. I have used it for over 15 years and not the first bit of trouble. Other than snug up the bolts occasionally. Even when I forget to store it properly it never has leaked down. The arm remains in the last position used. Still has the bumper pad from the last time I removed the rear clip. As seen here:
PC070024_zps23be7d44.jpg

As you can see it is well worn. I guess this is a reminder to get into the shop and do a bit of cleaning up!!

Bill

Like most of you, I'm building my car in my garage that is attached to my home. Most residential garages have limited space for cars, tools, bikes, etc. So I think twice before I buy anything that will use up valuable space in the garage.

I prefer not to buy things that are large or infrequently used. Instead, I try to barrow or rent the tool instead. For me a roll-around engine hoist fits the criteria of large and infrequently used.

Some alternatives to buying and storing a roll-around engine hoist:
  • Barrow an engine hoist from a buddy.
  • Rent an engine hoist. The daily rental is quite low. Many rental engine hoists disassemble so you can get it home in a car trunk. I know there are numerous places around me that rent engine hoists.
  • Do you have a strong structural member above the garage that can bear the weight of an engine/trans? When I had my home built, I had a steel I-Beam put in the ceiling of my garage. I then installed a 1 Ton Eye-bolt and bought a smallish 1 Ton chain hoist. The combination provides a 2x-3x safety factor when lifting a typical engine/trans. The chain hoist is stored in a cabinet in about the same space as a 12 pack of beer.

Attachments

• IMG_5238.jpg
    IMG_5238.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_5240.JPG
    IMG_5240.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 216

Ron Earp

Admin
Got one that looks just like that, but is 2 ton. Came from Harbour Fright, been pulling motors and trannys with it for almost ten years. No worries. As others have said, go for the 2 ton unit. You'll use it a lot and if you ever want to sell it on it'll bring at least $125.

Back