Recommended tire for 1969 Widebody

Gents,

Need tire recommendations for 10" and 14" BRM wheels for street/some track driving. Please be specific if possible including sources.

Thank you for your help,

JM

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
To get he correct sidewall height I went with Avon slicks 14.0/27.0 and 10.5/23.0, with a hand cut historic tread from Roger Krause Racing $2,200 all in. If you are okay with a lower profile you can go for Pirelli P7 Cinturato 345/35 and 285/40 available from Longstone Tyres or the Michelin TB15 from Coker Tire

Chris Kouba

Supporter
....or the Michelin TB15 from Coker Tire...

Julian-

Have you used this tire before? Any feedback regarding its performance on a street and track combination?

And do you know why they are "Coker Michelins" and not Michelins? I assume Coker bought the moulds and that's how they're building them.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Julian-

Have you used this tire before? Any feedback regarding its performance on a street and track combination?

And do you know why they are "Coker Michelins" and not Michelins? I assume Coker bought the moulds and that's how they're building them.
Chris,

I have not personally used the TB15, however have read positive reports from wide body Pantera owners using them as to wear and stickiness, but limited wet performance. That was prior to Pirelli remaking the P7 Cinturato Classic range, which I think most of those guys are opting for now, despite the cost. The TB15 or a Pirelli 335/35 are quite a bit shorter diameter (24.2") than a standard GT40 tire (27"), so would change the visual stance.

You are correct that Coker buy out discontinued tire molds and license to continue manufacture in small production runs.

Julian

I have the following mixed set on a wide body Pantera:
Front: Coker Michelin 255/45x15 on a 10" rim
Rear: Pirelli Zero 345/35x15 on a 13" rim
For street driving, it is a nice set-up regardless of those that say don't mix types of tires.
I am not sure you could stretch the Pirelli over a 14" rim. The sidewall on my 13" is pretty flat already. I would watch that one.

OBTW, the only reason I used the Michelin was Pirelli and Yokohama had stopped making the 285/40x15 front. Now that it is available, I would run that. A full set of P7s would be the set up.

Back